Author Topic: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)  (Read 242118 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:28:02 AM »
So I'm off on another adventure!  My new project is the Steam Tractor by Rudy Kouhoupt.  His design is a 3/4" scale model, not after any specific prototype but based on the general look of the Case tractor. He includes several pictures of full sized Case tractors in the back of the book to give you an idea of what it can look like.

Here's a picture of Rudy's steam tractor, and what I hope mine might resemble a year or two from now:

I've read through the book; not a ton of reading, but a lot of densely packed information to be sure.  And a lot of drawings.  I made my own BOM list and ordered the materials I needed.  And over the last week, the brown truck has stopped at my house a couple of times leaving me some nice heavy boxes of fun stuff!

And here's the pile of stock that will (hopefully) be transformed into a steam tractor.  The pile on the right is what I had in my stock, and the slightly larger pile on the left is all the metal that I purchased for this project!

Of course, it won't take all of this - I tend to order 4' lengths of whatever, even if I only need a few inches, that way I have extra for do-overs, and hopefully help me build up some stock for future projects.  Unless the material is super expensive (like 1" brass rod, for example) or something that seems pretty specific to this one project (like 4.5" diameter steel tube).  Then I'll get just how much I need, or possibly a 1' length, depending on what it is and how I feel.

So, today, with most of the material in house, I set off on my new adventure!  My first REAL steam engine! :)

Wish me luck!
Kim
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:34:33 PM by Kim »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: Steam Tractor 3/4" (Rudy K)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:39:49 AM »
Hi Kim, of course I wish you luck. I am sure you will need it.
A steam traction engine is a project which includes a lot of different challanges, so step bye step the learning curve will grow. This kind of projects offer much room to add own ideas to make it looking more individual.
Have fun and enjoy it and it could be, that some of these brown trucks could be seen more often in front of your house during the next two years.
Waiting for the next part of another long term build report with a lot of pictures.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »
Good luck with your new project  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: The design certainly captures what to me is the essence of an American traction engine with round spokes and the long front overhang  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:38:42 AM »
There is a detailed build on HMEM which will probably be more help than the book.

Looking forward to following along.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »
Another great project Kim. I'm along for the ride too.  :popcorn:

Bilk

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes Achim, Roger, Jason, and Bill,

And thanks for the pointer Jason.  You (or someone) mentioned the HMEM build log a while back when I indicated an interest in this project.  I found the build log and have been reading it.  Lots of good stuff there. And we've already solved the one of the early problems in different ways, but it was nice to hear others have had the same issue.  I'm referring to the large diameter cast bronze coupler Rudy uses to make the wheels.  I can't find anything like that anywhere.  I've found things that might be close, but they are absurdly expensive.  Dennis (who did the build on HMEM) ended up using copper tube.  I chose to go a much less expensive route and use steel DOM tube (A513 Type 5 I believe). We'll see how that goes! I will be referring to that build log frequently during this project I'm sure!

And yes Achim, the big brown truck has stopped at my place several times lately, and I'm sure there are more stops to come in the future! :)

Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
Kim that is great project and I am sure you will find very challenging. Best of luck to you on this fantastic journey. Just stay focused and you will do great. I will enjoy following along with you.

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »
Thanks Don! :)

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 04:10:32 PM »
Kim

I've had the book for a few years now, it might make it up to the top of the list some day... in the meantime
I will enjoy following along!

Joe

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 04:13:26 PM »
Hi Kim

Great to see you dive into a new project; I will be pulling up a chair to follow along with what I'm sure will be a very interesting build.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
Hey Joe and Dave, glad to have you along! :)

Yesterday, I started making the wheels.

As I mentioned above, I couldn't find the material for the wheels that is specified in the plans, so I made a substitution.  I'm using steel tubing for the wheels (DOM A513).  I have no experience with this, but its listed as having slightly lower machinability than 1018.  :-\

For the rear wheels, I purchased two 1.5" lengths of 4.5" OD, 1/8" wall, steel tube.  I had them cut to length because it was pretty expensive to get a larger piece and I didn't see a lot of use for extra 4.5" steel tube sitting around in my inventory just taking up dollars and space.  Also, I'm not sure my little HF bandsaw could hold a 6" dia tube!

Anyway, I chucked this in my lathe and face off both sides, nice and square, to 1.5".  The second wheel came out a little more square than the first one (see, I learned something!), but I they are both within my tolerances for tractor wheels :)

I decided to get the front wheels started too. These were worrying me a little more.  I couldn't find the 3 1/4", 1/16" wall tube that is specified in the plans, so I got some 1/8" wall tube.  This stuff wasn't nearly as expensive as the larger, so I got a 12" section.  My saw could handle that no problem!

I got it as square as I could in my 3-jaw chuck.  I know the 4-jaw would center it more accurately, but It was within 3-4 thou which seemed within tolerance for a tractor wheel.  Then I started to shave off 1/16" of wall thickness.

This went OK, but the chips came off as a long sharp nasty rats nest.  This A513 stuff doesn't seem like the most friendly stuff to work with.  Guess they were right.  And parting it off was even harder.  I found that it crawled out of the 3-jaw chuck.  I should have probably just sawed it off.

So, my first stupid mistake for this project was that the first front wheel I cut off at 0.825". Which is sad, because they are supposed to be 7/8 wide, which is actually 0.875".  Dumb mistake.  So I'll be making another one of those next time I'm out.

All in all, I think I'm off to an OK start!  I just need to be more careful of my fraction to decimal conversions!  :embarassed:
Kim

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:38:57 PM by Kim »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
Hi Kim, shall I have a serious word to the guy at the drawing board who is converting everything into the production drawings ?
Well, over all it seems to be a good start, your first parts taking shape and this parted off not usable tube may be ends as an ash tray for smokers.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 05:36:12 PM »
Hi Kim, isn't it a great feeling to get started on a new project, even though it doesn't always go as we would like it to. Minor mishaps will happen bud.
Do you plan on making the gears for this? That would be a great learning lesson and should not be hard to do. If you haven't yet download my calculation sheets from the plans and drawing section on making the button tool and gear.   8). These gears are 14.5 degree pressure angle.  :stickpoke:

Don

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »
This will be an interesting one to follow…. I began the same project several years again and it stalled due to some issues not pertaining to it. It is a fun and satisfying piece of work that has plenty of room for creativity and embellishment. I'm looking forward to see what and how you do. Don't be ashamed to show it all, intakes included….. it helps others see what can be done and what/how something failed.   :popcorn: :ThumbsUp: :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 11:20:25 PM »
Thanks guys,
Yeah, I'm not too surprised by do-overs. I'm used to it :embarassed:  Usually it shows I'm stretching; trying new things, using new materials!   But that's the fun part! Trying new things and learning, right? :)  This time, unfortunately, it just showed that I was getting careless; trying to get 'one more thing done' before I headed in for our big social event for the afternoon.  Always a bad choice, and I know it.  I should have stopped before I started rushing.

Don, YES!  I plan to make the gears for this.  That will be one of the fun new learnings for me; that, along with the sheet metal work  (I haven't done much of that since high school), riveting, making a boiler, and silver soldering.  Just to name a few.  So many new skills for me to develop on this project!  :cartwheel:

I'm about to go and re-do that front wheel. And it will go faster and better this time, and I won't screw it up (he says with fingers crossesed ;)).

I am pretty excited about this project  :pinkelephant:
Kim

PS the animated emoticons were used with Marv in mind!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:39:44 PM by Kim »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal