Author Topic: My empire  (Read 3098 times)

Offline davidsuffolk

My empire
« on: September 19, 2015, 06:08:29 PM »
The forum asks for " My workshop" pictures so, as a new joiner, here's my empire!

Some pictures when first arranged (i.e. while still tidy). Now so messy I need a shovel to get in!

These pictures are from a couple of years ago but still pretty much the same general layout. Where the chair is in the pictures, now sits a mig welder and large gas bottle and I have added anti vibration mats on top of the flooring (which is on a raised wooden floor) The actual machines sit directly onto the concrete floor below. There is also now a 6" bench vice and an 8" double grinder with a polishing spindle at one end on one worktop.

Overhead are 3 double fluorescent lamps and a halogen work light for both the lathe & the mill.

The workbench and cupboards are kitchen units bought off eBay. I have 5 double 13A sockets, one 20A each with an MCB and one 3ph socket so plenty of power points.

It is very cosy as the roof is insulated and I have replaced all the windows with double glazed units. This was after I broke one large window pane and the price of the glass alone was very nearly the cost of the whole double glazed unit. When I put the window in behind the lathe I made sure it could open to the side so that anything long could go right through the headstock (and the open window).

The DRO on the mill has gone to the right hand side and a power feed added on the left side

Now a lot more lived in!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:14:32 PM by davidsuffolk »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: My empire
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
Good to see you have found your way here David, It's always nice to have a nose around somebody elses workshop. The Emco looks nice, I used to have an Emcomat 8.6 which was the geared head forerunner of the cheaper Compact 8.

I hope you will keep us upto date with your new winter project.

J

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:35:34 PM »
Nice looking workspace David. So what have you been working on and/or what is the new  Winter project??

Bill

Offline davidsuffolk

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »
I recently built a Tidman organ engine which was my first "proper" build and the winter project is an Amanco hit & miss engine.

I was fortunate to get a set of castings recently so this will become (hopefully) my first IC engine.

Hopefully next spring I will post a successful build!

And, very happy with my Maximat (apart from my workshop is at the end of my garden and up steps so was a REAL struggle to get it in place!)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 01:14:50 AM »
That is a nice looking lathe; and workshop. I'll bet that it was a bit of a job getting the lathe in there. When first looking at your pictures I was thinking that it looked to me like your shop was in the back yard (garden)  and what a job it must have been to move the lathe back there.

Now that the hard work is done you can enjoy it.

Dave

Offline davidsuffolk

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:26:12 AM »
Fortunately Emco had thought ahead and there are large holes through the chassis. We used an engine hoist to get the lathe out of the van, then 2 pallet trucks to move it before putting scaffolding poles through and with 6 strong chaps lift it up the garden. From memory it weighed 750kg so a heavy old lump.

Once it was in position the rest of the workshop were pretty much built around it.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 07:29:37 AM »
Hope David does not mind but this is a vidio of his little organ engine, for an idea of size thats a 12" dia flywheel  :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxK2LApN0Tc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxK2LApN0Tc</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal