Author Topic: Hi from Wales  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Garry_C

• Wales, UK.
    • garrycmodelengineering
Hi from Wales
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
Hi
Just by way of a little introduction. I'm a 50's something bloke, not long retired. I'm very much a beginner to Model Engineering and only on my second engine, well third if you count a little steam oscillator I first made. So I've built a 'Stuart Victoria' and had it running on air but as I don't have a boiler yet I've not been able to try it on Steam - and I'm part way through a 'Stuart No. 1' at the moment and enjoying immensely. My interest is mainly in Stationary Steam Engines but also an interest in loco's as well.. I think I've been in this hobby about 2 years now, maybe a bit less..

I've had a bit of look around here to see what others are doing and wow it all seems to be superb, far and away above what I'm doing so I don't know how my efforts would fit in, maybe you've got a space in the basement for me!

Anyways what I fall short of in experience and knowledge I make up for in enthusiasm...

Have a few pics and a little video of Victoria running on youtube if anyone wants to see although I haven't yet looked at how to upload things directly here.. The video's not very good though, I keep meaning to take a proper one..

One thing I should say is that I have had a tremendous amount of help from the 'Model Engineer' website, without which I wouldn't have even finished my first engine - maybe its time to look a bit wider now though as well, I need all the help I can get. I've found that by putting up my builds on line its not only a great way to keep a record but every now and then someone comments and I get to pick up on some great tips...

Thanks for reading..

Garry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hi from Wales
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »
:hi: Garry.

Bill was good enough to put some guidance as to how to post pictures here: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4644.0.html

I missed out on a set of Castings for a No1  :'(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »
Welcome to MEM Garry...whether you are on your first engine or your 50th, I think you will find the folks here just as enthusiastic and supportive. Looking forward to seeing some pictures and/or videos of your Victoria!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »
Hi Garry,
Welcome to MEM.

When you get a chance, we'd love to have you post your video here.

Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
Welcome aboard Garry

Dave

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »
Hi Garry, good to see you here on MEM, look and listen, these blokes know a thing or two.
Ian S C

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:02:55 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

As the others have said we like pictures  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Garry_C

• Wales, UK.
    • garrycmodelengineering
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome messages..! I'll have a look at how photobucket works and get some photo's posted. The youtube video for Victoria is here <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1aPe94eZw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1aPe94eZw</a> - but as I said its not a very good one yet...

and Hi Ian - is great to see you on here..!

Cheers

Garry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »
Hi Garry, good to see you have found your way here, I've no getting away from you now.

J

PS its quite easy to use the photos you have in your ME albums on here if you wish to

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
Hi Garry, welcome to the group. Everyone here has been a newbie  some time. So we all know this feeling.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:19:04 AM »
Hi Gary and welcome to the forum! Nice engine by the way.

Don

Offline Garry_C

• Wales, UK.
    • garrycmodelengineering
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »
Hi Jason..!

Brilliant to see you on here as well - as you say, you've definitely no chance of getting away now...!

Yes it would be great to be able to use my ME albums, I've looked at the above pdf for posting pictures (the one that refers to photobucket) I can't see how I would use the ME album from reading it unless I've missed something - if you get a chance can you please explain. I'm trying a test below so if it works no need and I have it sorted.... No rush of course..

(Thats a 'part built' photo of my Victoria, you can see the crosshead's not connected etc..)

Cheers all

Garry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:57:03 AM by Jo »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 08:58:55 AM »
Garry, Links to jpgs on the internet is the same as adding links to Photosuckit you just add the [ img ] bits around the outside of the address.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
Looks like you have worked it out Garry, just right click a photo in your ME album to get the url and then past it between the two sets of brackets that come up when you click the "insert image" icon. You also get a better size picture here as there are no adverts down the side to narrow the page :)

Offline Garry_C

• Wales, UK.
    • garrycmodelengineering
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
Great thanks Jason and Jo - I was just posting thanking you Jo when Jason posted, I seem to have lost that one somewhere, no probs I'll soon get used to it...!

Off to carry on with the No. 1 now...

Cheers

Garry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal