Author Topic: Ght centre height gauge  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
Ght centre height gauge
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:20:42 AM »
Took a long, long time. But at last I have got a proper centre height gauge! As I had a mishap with the leadscrew handwheel (handle jammed against an oilcan and taper pin sheared). I ordered a leadscrew thrust bearing conversion from hemmingway. As a treat I allso ordered the ght centre height gauge kit. Could have made it from scraps, but knowing myself I will never get it done that way. Anyway, here it is. As someone wrote, a wonderfully over engineered piece of kit.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: Ght centre height gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
A very useful addition Bjorn, and a nice job of it. Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »
Hello Bjorn,

You have made a good job of the centre height gauge, time spent making these little aids is soon repaid many times over. 

In all fairness I think somewhere along the line someone has added some embellishments to GHT's original design. I made my version to GHT's words and music, (shown below) about 30 years ago now and would not be without it.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments. I have some projects under the belt by now, but this is one of the things I just did not get round to, been using all sorts of temporary sollutions for years  :old:

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
Bjorn
Nicely done! And simple.
For those with absolutely nothing to do, here's the one that I built. I saw something similar (commercially done) 3-4 years ago but have no idea where.

A .50" ground drill rod with a .25" reamed center hole. The .25" ground drill rod is the calibration surface. A Horrible Fright indicator was cheap enough to dedicate to this device.

With the device in a 5C collet, the indicator is zeroed. The .25" rod is then removed.

The cutting tool is positioned under the indicator and the height is adjusted to -.125" (the center of the .25" calibration rod: the lathe center)

Once calibrated, I just keep switching tool holders on the QCTP.  Centering 15 tool holders takes very little time.

Best,
Stan

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »
Very innovative, Stan.  Plus it provides a simple way of quantitatively setting tools (e.g. cutoff tools) slightly above center to counteract deflection when in use.  I may steal your design.

My approach is crude, though effective.  I machined a block of steel to such a length that, set on the compound, its top surface is at center height.  Running my NIST-certified thumbnail across block top and adjacent tool top tells me when they're at the same height.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
And I thought I had the only certified fingernail. I use mine with the center finder (pointy end; no power) to pick up a center punch mark. Amazing how close one can get.
Best,
Stan

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »
Torturers long ago learned to pull out fingernails to encourage confession.  That says a lot about how well supplied with nerve endings the nailbed is.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal