Author Topic: centaur gas engine  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Frank Boyle

centaur gas engine
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:57:13 AM »
Hi all
I have completed the cylinder head of the engine,but when setting out the valve bores my mind cleared off and I made an error of 1/16".As I have made a good job of bore and seating the valve housings I don't want to start again.My thoughts are to reduce one arm of the rockers by 1/16" but will this alter the geometry or have I got to by a new casting but at £75 I am reluctant .
Frank

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: centaur gas engine
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:13:25 AM »
Any chance of a photo of your booboo Frank so we can understand what you have done.

Not that I can speak mine still does not run  :facepalm2:

Edit: Just looked at mine: if the centre is closer to the timing shaft it should not make any difference, if necessary you can adjust the curve on the bottom of the rocker arms.

Jo
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:20:17 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
Depends which direction it is out, a shorter or longer rocker arm will alter the amount the valve opens but that could be allowed for by a slight alteration to the cam lift though its not going to make a lot of difference to how the engine runs. If its sideways then a small offset could be built into the rocker arm to keep it central to the valve stem.

J

Offline Frank Boyle

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »
The bore for the valve housings is offset 1/16" towards the camshaft side and is in the correct position for the rocker arms .What size spark plug did you use Jo on your engine.I have bought a 1/4" plug but it looks a bit small.Thanks for the replys they have  eased my mind.

Frank

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »
If it is the inlet the push rod will take up the offset   ;)

I have a CM-6 on mine which looks in keeping.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline michaelr

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 01:48:40 PM »
With only a 1/16"out, I don't think you will have a problem with your valve settings, I used alternative gears for my Centaur cam shaft drive which altered cam shaft center, the valve rocker centers and the rockers were made as drawing, the inlet push rod as Jo has said took up the difference.
The engine starts and runs with no problem, the plug is a CM-6.

Mike.

Offline Frank Boyle

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:43:48 PM »
Thank you all for the information it has been a great help.The picture of the valves at work was good ,it's good to get an image to relate to a drawing.
Frank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal