Author Topic: Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum  (Read 7821 times)

Offline The Idle Fellow

Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
Everyone within reach of south Norfolk is warmly invited to join us for our 23rd annual Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum on 4th October. (http://www.forncettsteammuseum.co.uk/)
Steam Guy Willy has promised to bring his wonderful beam engine, see: 'The Hedley beam engine Cambridge'.
Another regular exhibitor, Ramon, will be displaying his current project, see: 'Wide A Wake a steam launch tale', as well as some of his other superb models.
We'd be delighted if you would like to show some of your work too – whether completed or still in progress. The museum's air supply will be available and there are facilities for using your own boiler. An innovation this year will be a road run for miniature steam.
I'd be pleased to e-mail you full details and an entry form.
Bill.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »
Hi Guys,
I'm afraid I've been well absent without leave but thanks to my good friend Chris (Modelsteam) who 'Lurches' ( :) ) on here from day to day I've been pointed this afternoon in this direction to Bill's welcome for anyone to attend this years Forncett ME Day

Bill, who has taken over the mantle of organising this event and doing a superb job of it too I might add has beaten me to it as I was planning on making a request for anyone to come and join Chris and myself as we represent MEM at this years event. I have just had a message from Simon (Sco) to say he is coming up so there's three of us at least.

As I haven't had opportunity to return them we'll use Jo's posters again so even if you don't want to participate do come and say hello.

I'm still well distracted from the mainstream I'm afraid but the heart's still in the right place - maybe see you there.

Regards for now, back in due course  ;) - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online sco

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
For anyone wavering, Forncett is brilliant - imagine a collection of barns rammed full of steam engines all higgledy piggledy with wisps of steam leaking here and there, minimal safety barriers and the most enthusiastic and knowledgeable owner who demonstrates them one after another.  Then upstairs in one of the barns there is a cafeteria selling proper tea and homemade cake and on model engineers day benches of model engines laid out, model boats on the lake outside and traction engines puffing backwards and forwards.

Can you tell I enjoyed it last year and will be going again this year!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 11:05:10 AM »
Not definite yet, but I plan to attend again this year. Similar to last year I will be showing a collection of parts, and home made tooling, that one day may resemble a traction engine. There will be a few more parts this year! I'll also have a few machining videos (gear cutting, worm milling, repetition lathe) and possibly some items from the 'day' job.

Andrew

Offline The Idle Fellow

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
Nearly there. Only a few days now till Model Engineers' Day at Forncett on Sunday 4th October. I spoke to Steam Guy Willie this morning and he confirmed that he will be bringing his latest model, see his build log at ' The Hedley beam engine Cambridge'. We've pretty much got a full house inside the museum plus 15 miniature road steam models outside. (There should also be a full size roller and a steam tractor. Just think of them as 12 ins scale models.) For details of how to find us, please see;
http://www.forncettsteammuseum.co.uk/Site/How_to_find_us.html
Hope to see you there.
Bill.

Offline Bobp

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:08:25 PM »
Visiting from Sheffield. Nothing to exhibit but I will say hi.
Bob P Southworth Engines

Offline oehrick

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 12:22:12 AM »
A last heads up for Forncett
Fingers crossed for the fine weather continuing esp. for the outside exhibitors - a cooler day is not unwelcome inside !
Rick (listening for the distant sounds of Bill in turbo mode)
Cheers, Rick in Bogside-on-Bure - Where Stationary Steam is still alive !

Online sco

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 06:50:18 AM »
All packed up ready to leave including vital supplies :-)
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 08:34:09 PM »
Hi Guys, just thought you might like to hear that we had yet another brilliant turn out and most enjoyable day at this years Forncett ME Day.

The show was blessed yet again with great weather - more model traction engines than ever turned out and all trundled off in a long line down the lane led by a full size engine to the nearby tank museum. Apparently the local villagers lined the way to cheer them on and enjoy the occasion. Bill (Starling) - 'The Idle Fellow' a truly all round nice guy and event organiser should be congratulated on bringing these engines together and getting this organised - a superb spectacle for such a small event.

Upstairs were the usual culprits with their stationary engines but I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures - far too much time spent talking (I finally got my intended 12 o'clock cup of tea at ten to three!)  Simon  'Sco' - has however and he should post those a bit later.

Bob P turned up as promised and a surprise visitor was John (user name escapes me) who had travelled up from High Wycombe. I have only just realised that 'Jadge' is Andrew Johnston whom I spent some time talking too but did not realise was a MEM member. Apologies Jadge for missing you out on the group photo and also any other MEM members who may have been there .

The Wide a Wake had it's first outing and received some encouraging comments but I'm afraid it's still very much on hold for the moment. Managed to wake the neighbours up too with a couple of good runs of the Etas and, pleased to tell, one of the Atomatics that had it's first real decent running and performed impeccably. Did we all have a good day - you bet we did.

Although I didn't take any pics I did get this group pic of a very happy bunch .......

Left to right are Bob Potter (Bob P) Simon (Sco) and his wife Wendy, Sue and yours truly, 'Steam Boat Willy' John, Gill and Chris (Model Steam)

All in all a great but tiring day - see you next year perhaps?

Regards - Ramon

Ah! I nearly forgot - Wendy brought us all a large platter of some truly scrumptious cakes that kept us well occupied through the day  :) (Hmmm - thinks! With cakes like those, definitely a candidate for permanent co-opted member  ;)) Thanks for thinking of us Wendy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:43:32 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online sco

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 08:36:25 PM »
Fabulous day at Forncett, pictures and a couple of videos here; https://goo.gl/photos/VDtu85XJaNAcQ6Vp6

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »
Thanks for the photos Simon, and your one too Ramon.

Its not until you see the two McOnies together that you can appreciate how small the little one is

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 08:49:01 PM »
Thanks for the pictures and vids. Looks and sounds like a good time was had by all!

Bill

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 10:42:58 PM »
It was a great day out for me. Good to see the museum, all the models, to catch up with Ramon and Chris and to meet some faces. Thanks for the welcome  :)

John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 05:50:39 AM »
Fabulous day at Forncett, pictures and a couple of videos here; https://goo.gl/photos/VDtu85XJaNAcQ6Vp6

Simon.

Hi Simon, thanks for the pictures and the videos. Some very well made pictures.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 07:26:59 AM »
 :( We don't have access to google photos from work  :killcomputer:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal