Author Topic: A grinding tale  (Read 20504 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: A grinding tale
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »
No pics yet Cletus??  Big Brown must be having a busy day :)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 01:26:10 AM »
Dam Dog! you must be racking up those Amex points fast. Keeping brown that busy huh?   :stickpoke:

:lolb:
Big Dog

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 03:33:12 AM »
Their prices may be steep but their UTube videos are free  :Jester:

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 06:10:42 AM »
This video seemed pretty good:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHksf17oqE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHksf17oqE</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »
Rev. Celtus, you do realize now that you are going to have to change your letterhead, business cards, and the sign hanging outside the shop now...with all these  fancy new gadgets (surface grinder, magnetic cylinder square, indicator holder and new indicator as I recall)...Close Enuf Machine Shop just ain't gonna get it anymore!!  I'm thinking "Finer 'n Frogs Hair Precision Machining" or something along those lines will be all but mandatory now!!  :lolb:

Prof. Leroy

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »
No,no! Then we'd have to buy new shirts

Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 01:16:14 AM »
Bill, that will have to be the "Finer than frog hair split 4 ways" department of the Close Enuf Machine Shop. With copyrites, patents, and the new seris upcoming on Discovery, Vern and I could never change names. The Pa. division will have to send the parts they want hardened and ground to Springbucket division. My friend was here today and ground a couple of pieces and  he was really impressed with the grinder for it's size . As a matter of fact, he said they puchased a new grinder last year that was $36000 and it didn't produce any better surface finish. Then we ran the part on the surface plate and he was shocked at the accuracy. I guess I will just leave the B&S where it's at for now and use those moths for more tooling and this sweet little heat treatment oven I've been looking at  :naughty: :mischief:. (More points Don :LittleDevil:) On the afore mentioned tooling purchases,  all MSC items are already here,  still waiting on PennTool :shrug:. I did get a purchase confirmation and they said that the Suburban Tool magnetic cylinder square had a six weeks lead time and would be shipped from an address that just happens to be the same as Suburban Tool's,  however, they showed to have them in stock at the time of purchase  :facepalm:. Just heard the break whistle,  y'all come back to  see us now, ya hear.

Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 01:34:19 AM »
So what do you think of the Interapid??

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 11:15:15 AM »
If that isn't the nicest small grinder I've seen in a while.
Looks like a winner.
Watch Phil Kerner's (The Tool And Die Guy)video on checking a block for squareness.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tu9uyRG8ZM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tu9uyRG8ZM</a>

Also, send him a few bucks for lifetime access to his multipart courses.
He's got a series on surface grinding.

This works very well, but is a comparative measurement.   You're comparing to a "Known square"  either a master square, or a cylinder square...by the way the cylinder square can be made on a lathe to very good accuracy....if you take your time.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 11:15:55 AM »
Nice looking grinder E!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Thanks Steamer. The way he shows it in the video, he doesn't set it to a known square, but, to the piece he is checking and then rotates the piece. That is the reason I said I thought he was checking more for parallel in the vertical plane. Steamer, I am working on the cylinder in the lathe thing, but, don't tread there much, as this is a part of my surprise for the forum :naughty: 8). Sweet Nuts, to be honest I haven't even taken it out of the box yet :facepalm:. Y'all come back now ya hear.

Cletus

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 07:03:31 PM »
So, the first order arrived from PennTools, the 6" cylinder square. I think I have determined that Penn must be somewhat of a "drop ship" merchant. As mentioned, the magnetic square is shipping from Suburban and as you can see from the following pics, this one came from Shars and I haven't figured out where the "square checker" indicator stand is coming from :shrug:. You will also be able to see the square seems to be in nice shape, however, it's little wooden case didn't fare quite as well :rant:. Aw well, it's Friday and ain't nothing going to ruin my big glass of homemade hot and spicy tomato juice mixed with a generous portion of good vodka. Thanks for stopping in.

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 10:54:19 PM »
Your do go big my brother and I don't want to know what that cylinder square cost. Your much like me thought when you want something you just get it. Maybe you should have bought it from Shars it might of been cheaper. I want to see the indicators also when you get them. Nice tool acquisition Dog now your making me jealous.  :ThumbsUp:

Big Dog

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
That'll make a hell of a nutcracker Cletus!!  :lolb: Nice acquisitions...looking forward to seeing the rest and especially the indicator.

Bill

Online Overbuilt and Overkill

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 01:33:16 AM »
Cletus,
While I have no real hands on experience with surface grinding yet, I have been able to pick up some tips at least. So I hope you don't mind a thought or two? Suburban Tools videos really are great, and more than worth watching even if a person doesn't have a surface grinder. The rest that aren't specifically about surface grinding are really good too. The same can be said about The Tool and Die Guy's videos. I haven't seen what he offers yet for that paid subscription, but my guess is there also very well worth it.

Another one you might check out on Youtube is Shadon HKW. He started out not knowing much at all about surfacing grinding and has progressed very fast. He's got some tips about grinding that make watching all of his surface grinding videos worthwhile I think. But you are more than fortunate in having a really experienced friend that can give you some hands on lessons and pointers face to face. And I sure think you've done exceptionally well for the few 10ths variation both your videos show. 

But since I don't know if your friend has mentioned it or not. It's my understanding that Norton highly recommend storing your grinding wheels so there vertical and protected as well as you can from any hard knocks or dings. Even if you don't suffer from any personal injury, it's also my understanding that a wheel explosion is not something you want to have happen ever. That usually results in damage to the wheel guard, magnetic chuck, and sometimes an instantly bent grinder spindle. And to use some logic, probably total destruction of your skivie's also. :Lol:

Greg   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal