Author Topic: Tangential tool holder  (Read 86568 times)

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
Re: Tangential tool holder
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
I have been playing around with my diamond cutter and also the parting version today.
I wasn't at all happy with the results this morning but after lunch I got a second wind.

Once I got the height and cutting speed sorted out I was very pleased with the results.
The parting tool needs even more attention to detail but once I had got it going properly it was like a knife through butter.

So far I'm happy.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »
Hi

Sorry for dragging up this old topic but I have just beeen doing a bit of turning with one of my home made cutters. This one uses round tool steel and leaves a beautifull finish. I thought you might like to take a look

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVkiMsUoY5M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVkiMsUoY5M</a>

Cheers

Rich

Arbalest

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
Nice job. Round nose tools are really good for getting a good finish. The beauty of the Tangential tool is the ease of grinding, that lovely round profile has already been done for you!

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
I like that as well :ThumbsUp:

I wonder if a shaper might come in useful to make a little one of these for the Cowells....

Jo

This shows a style suited to smaller lathes. I have a Taig now, upgraded from the Unimat DB and am looking to make this design:
http://cartertools.blogspot.ca/2011/03/monty-remons-diamond-tool-holder.html

gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Bill_Happy

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2015, 08:22:30 AM »
This is what I'm thinking for the holder;

Which should allow the bit profile to be milled (end mill in orange);

Whoops - ignore previous post - I used the wrong quote button.

This is the one - anybody tried it ?

Bill

Online sco

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
Although I sketched that I never made one to that design.  One of the problems is that it doesn't present the tool to the work at the correct angle so you really need a crank in the main body - this is what my current design looks like.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2015, 03:04:03 PM »
Long time no hear.
First picture is a square carbide 5.3mm after interrupted cut , ca 1000 rpm depth of cut 1.5 mm and feed per rev .0025inch
Non carbide duty is done by the Crobalt plus holder on Right of next picture.It was 3/16 square and slightly modified as per sketch.
The 5.3 carbide is a beast to resharpen and practical depth of cut on my Boxford 2.5 to 3 mm.
I am therefore building two other for carbide:one using 4mm square slightly modified as per sketch and one using 1/4 inch triangular bitts.Regrinding amount is more or less comparable and both go easily into corners.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:10:07 PM by Niels Abildgaard »

Offline Bill_Happy

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2015, 05:08:08 AM »
Nice job on the jig. Don't forget you can also use round section HSS.

Vic.

Instead of using round tool steel, I chucked a 1/4" high speed steel bit in my lathe and used a carbide tip tool bit to turn the end round.  You could also use a grinder to make the end of it round.

Chuck

Chuck,

What sort of speeds were you using to do this ?

Could I do it on a 9" Hercus ? (Hercus = Aussie 9" South Bend Clone) top speed 720 rpm.

Bill

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »
Here is something slightly off the beaten path that might help some one out. I turn abrasive plastics occasionally and they positively eat HSS for lunch. This carbide tool bit laughs at that idea. It is a plain square nose 1/4" carbide tool bit sharpened on the end like a Tangential tool bit.

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »
Have tested a TanTool using 3 mm spoiled carbide endmills(Very Cheap).
Video shows some 40 mm martensitic stainless steel ( 430 FMC/1.4104) being faced 1.5 mm deep with a feed of  0.1mm per rev at 700 rpm.
Finish like ground.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEetSzkiK_E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEetSzkiK_E</a>

Kind regards

Niels
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:40:34 AM by Niels Abildgaard »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal