Author Topic: Myford Spindle problems  (Read 14011 times)

Offline Graham Meek

Re: Myford Spindle problems
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
Hi Don,

I am glad that you have your lathe back together and that my few words have been of help. I would definitely go along with what Stuart has said about the method of checking.

The best sure-fire way with these bearings is to have two individual matching spacers between the inner and outer races. This way the bearings are pre-loaded to the manufacturers recommendations. With an added advantage that the bearings are all locked up solid, with no independent moment between one race and the other. Most good bearing factors can supply these shims in various diameters / thickness's.

Sorry for being an infrequent visitor but my projects and writing get the better of me, it is this that keeps me away.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 06:40:06 PM »
Gray I am glad you did check in, because you were correct about the spindle bushing. It was indeed oval shape and replacing the bushing improved my read out dramatically. I no long have high reading moving my Chuck up and down less then .002" TRO. I  get a better reading with my chucks and collets. The run out on the collet is less the .00025". My four jaw Chuck has less then .0015" TRO. My new adjustable backplate gives me a lot better runout after adjusting the Chuck. I can get the TRO to nothing.

This is my arrangement to pull the bushing I had things on hand to do it with.

Install the bushing and I had to remove it again because the oil hole didn't quiet line up, but nailed it on the second attempt.

Finally my lathe is more precision now after changing both the rear and front bearings. I appreciate all of your inputs in resolving this matter. I had put it off far to long and could kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 07:07:53 PM »
Ain't nothing a Coonass can't whoop or fix  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: my brother

Cletus

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:10 PM »
Hi Don,

I was suspicious of the front bearing especially when I saw the condition of the angular contacts you replaced. The use of "micrometer blue" medium will show exactly where the spindle is or is not touching, but you have it sorted now. I would not be worried about those measurements, a static spindle is one thing, a dynamic spindle with a film of oil around is quite another.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »
Excellent! Did the front bearing reqire any scraping?

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2015, 11:52:32 PM »
Excellent! Did the front bearing reqire any scraping?
The bearing was purchased from Myford and fit was great so no scraping. Thanks for looking in.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
You should be good for another 50 years+ now Don and you have to feel more confident about the Myford's precision now too...nicely done!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 02:20:44 AM »
You should be good for another 50 years+ now Don and you have to feel more confident about the Myford's precision now too...nicely done!!

Bill
Thanks Bill and yes I can see the difference when cutting and parting off.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal