Author Topic: A grinding tale  (Read 20507 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
A grinding tale
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
Well' Steamer said if there isn't any pics it didn't happen. So, here are a couple or three of the as delivered state and where it's resting for the moment. I'm going to try and also include a little video of the first grind after the mag chuck was ground the first time. The material is 1"x2"x3" CRS (not an ideal metal for grinding). The indicator set-up is a little precarious and the granite tombstone is a really cheap one. However. the indicator is a .0001 and due to a little de-burring error, as you can hopefully see, it appears to be working correctly. So here y'all go, come back to see us now ya hear.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE8tgMScxrk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE8tgMScxrk</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v30gliXdMyE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v30gliXdMyE</a>

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: A grinding tale
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:07:35 PM »
Nice Cletus...this is the ENCO one I am assuming. What are you using with the Loc-Line? Air or some kind of mist coolant. Did you ever go to see the one your friend has from his dad's shop? Inquiring minds need to know  :lolb:

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »
Nice find Dog and I hope it's better then the last one. Looks to be new, so we're did we get it from?

Don

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:27:07 AM »
Thanks fellas,  yeah this is the new one from Enco. It seems to be doing a good job. I have a good friend of mine who is a tool and die maker and the head of the tool and die department of the local Electra lux plant coming to give me some pointers.  The surface finish is nice,  yet,  I'm getting a bit of streaking I'm not sure about,  however,  about 30 seconds on a 3000 grit lapping table and the streaks are gone  :shrug:.  The Loc-Line is for the PortaKool 1 gal system and I give it a  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. As you can see from the video,  the parrellism  seems to be spot on,  except on the second video where I got a little haphazard with the deburring and as you can see the indicator jumps to 3 tenths on that plane.  I really don't have a good way to check for the part being square as of yet,  this is going to require,  as Jo would say, " several hundred moths being extracted from the Amex account" , however, I'll probably place an order in the morning for a cylinder square and one of them fancy indicator mounts to use with it.  In the hot rodding world there is a saying,  " speed costs, how fast do you want to go? " In the grinding world I'm learning,  " .0001's cost,  how low do you want to go?" Bill, I keep putting off going to look at the other grinder.  The price ain't bad,  the shipping will only cost me breakfast and lunch for a couple of men,  however,  I have to figure in the cost of the VFD and the professional services to get that done. While still I think it is a good deal, if this one is getting the job done,  that's a bunch of moths I could  spend on tooling or maybe even as Lou called it the other day, " one of those bridge milling thingees you've been wanting " :lolb:. I'll keep y'all posted.

Send donations to the "Close Enuf Machine Shop"  c/o Stan or Cletus
Help us , help you, help us,  (Inset hallelujah)

Rev. Cletus
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:31:15 AM by Tennessee Whiskey »

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:45:28 AM »
Ok, the moths went flying  :lolb:. MSC had a 35% off that was good for the Interapid indicator and some non magnetic parallels,  but, not  anything else I wanted .  I then found PennTools  http://www.penntoolco.com and they had everything else I wanted (cylinder squares and such)  at a lot cheaper price than MSC or Enco. Has anyone dealt with them before?  It says they have been veteran owned since '68 and a browse thru their website shows some quality tooling and descent pricing.  If anyone is wondering why I am getting this involved in grinding to the ".0001" , well, let's just say,  there is some fun I wish to share with the members here on this forum that will require that level of accuracy. Now, as a past president of our USofA and Forrest Gump said: " That's all I'm gonna say about that  :lolb:

Catfish dinner and Bingo Saturday night   $12 pp. All you can eat and 3 free cards :cheers:

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:58:25 AM »
Cletus,
I recall buying a few things from the many years ago. Honestly had forgotten about them till you mentioned it. As best as I remember they were good to deal with, and like MSC and others they carry both the name brands as well as more economical imports. I have asked them to send me a catalogue to school. Will be nice to see what their current offerings and prices are like compared to MSC, et. al.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:08:43 AM »
You will love that indicator; they are one of the best out there! The grinder looks to be a pretty decent tool; I just wish the machine manufactures would go back to good old machine gray. never been a fan of the very light colors and blue stripes :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown:.

Curious to see what you have up your sleeve.

Yum Catfish, wish I was there!

Dave

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »
It looks like Penn Tools has a lot of good stuff at good prices, but the descriptions are often lacking in detail. They are nearby in NJ so shipping should be inexpensive and driving there for pickup is possible.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 01:45:45 AM »
If that isn't the nicest small grinder I've seen in a while.
Looks like a winner.
Watch Phil Kerner's (The Tool And Die Guy)video on checking a block for squareness.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tu9uyRG8ZM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tu9uyRG8ZM</a>

Also, send him a few bucks for lifetime access to his multipart courses.
He's got a series on surface grinding.
Best,
Stan

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:35:35 PM »
If that isn't the nicest small grinder I've seen in a while.
Looks like a winner.
Watch Phil Kerner's (The Tool And Die Guy)video on checking a block for squareness.

Unfortunately his method is incomplete. It will work if the block is a parallelepiped. Once you are that far, how do you grind two faces square to each other?

Offline kvom

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »
Once you have one face ground flat then the opposite face is simple to do;  just turn it over.  To grind a third face square to the first two you need a precision grinding vise.

Kerner's method would seem to require a reference to set the indicator, but just turning over the block being tested would be quite effective assuming the top and bottom faces are parallel. 

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »
Thanks for stopping in guys. As stated, I'm waiting on the UPS man for the indicator,  delivered by end of day they say, but,  here's my luck;  the driver makes me his last stop on the way in because he likes to stop and get BBQ every time I have a delivery  :Doh:.  I have watched this video among many more and yes , assuming he had true paraellism in all planes ,  this would be correct to a degree. ( I was in class that day, Marv)  However,  if he had set his indicator to a known square surface,  i.e. cylinder square or granite square,  then he could test  for true square( however, this doesn't quarentee paraellism,  yup there that day also, Marv)  In my opinion,  he is now assuming he has two parallel surfaces, which, should equal a true square surface. Really,  I guess you could say from the video, he's checking for paraellism in a vertical plane :shrug:. Just heard the UPS truck and now I'm waiting for the cylinder squares and that thingee that holds an indicator from PennTools,  I bought one similar to the one he made.  SweetNuts Otto, I fry about 200 pounds a week of good old grain fed, farm raised, Mississippi catfish, Y'all drag yo old butt on over here  "Fun For The Whole Family" :lolb: :lolb:beer is on me  :DrinkPint:

Cletus

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 12:13:02 AM »
I just found http://www.subtool.com/ and they have a lot of information on measurement and using surface grinders. One of their product lines is precision squares and they look like they know what they are doing.

Alan

Alan, I couldn't get your link to work so modified it but think I may have mistakenly put in the wrong url. If so please go in and modify it and just cut and paste the original url you had posted.  Sorry for confusing things!

Bill
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:25:53 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 12:16:07 AM »
Oh they do Alan, and they aren't shy about charging for it either !! :lolb:

Bill

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 12:52:03 AM »
Yeah they do and no they don't mind the price. Vern wants their vacuum chuck and I want the complete Sine set with Spindexer  :Doh: I did buy one of their magnetic cylinder squares from Penn, $100 cheaper than from Suburban :shrug:

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal