Author Topic: IC 2 Cylinder Horizontal Engine  (Read 69942 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: IC 2 Cylinder Horizontal Engine
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2015, 12:31:38 AM »
It's really starting to look like an engine Chuck. You are making so rapid progress!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2015, 12:34:32 AM »
Hi Chuck

Enjoying your build!
Do you have plans for the valve train; will the cam and push rods be located under the crank and cylinder block?

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2015, 12:55:01 AM »
That's looking great Chuck and I will be watching you make the crank since I have never made one from one solid piece. Cool engine design bud.........  :cheers:

Don

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2015, 02:21:28 AM »
Chuck,
The engine is really coming along. I have never made, A: a flat crank, B: a crank out of hot rolled steel. Looking good.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2015, 07:31:27 AM »
Hi Chuck, you might recall my Kitti's crank warped because I used a bit of flat bar. It was suggested that this occurred as I did not have to machine the two faces . For the second attempt  :( I was told to mill 1mm off both sides and leave it a week before machining the crank.

The second attempt came out true  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2015, 08:09:58 AM »
The black (hot rolled ) does seem to be a lot less prone to moving. I have cut cranks from bright bar and you could actually see it moving as the waste was stitch drilled out. I also did one that was flame cut from plate on the Monitor and that did not move. The only downside is the general purpose black bar is usually not quite so nice to machine.

I have taken to using the black bar quite a lot on my fabricated models for similar reasons, one thing that I do like to do is dip the bar in acid to get rid of the black scale. Over here we have "brickcleaner" which is hydrocloric acid, half an hour in that and the scale just falls off.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 04:17:21 AM »
Thanks, all, for the comments and suggestions.  We'll see if stress movement becomes a problem.  I plan to take the crank down gradually to finished dimensions, rotating from one part to another.  That way, if any movement creeps in, I can straighten it out by removing more metal.

Today I started on the fixture for turning the connecting rod journals.  I started with a 2" diameter piece of cold rolled steel.

Here I've milled out a slot, 1/2" wide and 1/8" deep.  It will hold the the web of the journal I'm turning.  I also drilled a 7/16" hole, offset from the center by 1/2 the stroke distance, to accept the crankshaft main journal.  This will place the connecting rod journal directly on the center axis of the lathe.

Here's what it looks like with the crankshaft inserted into the fixture...

And chucked in the lathe...

Before I use the fixture, I need to drill and tap a hole for a setscrew to hold the crankshaft firmly in the fixture.

Chuck

So many projects, so little time...

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »
Cool Chuck but it must be kind of hard to square the crank in the Chuck. Do you use a DTI on your fixture to get it square or do you have a fixture for the tail stock?

Don

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Cool Chuck but it must be kind of hard to square the crank in the Chuck. Do you use a DTI on your fixture to get it square or do you have a fixture for the tail stock?

Don

Thanks, Don.  I just use a DTI to center the fixture in the 4-jaw chuck.   This will result in the connecting rod journal being centered in the lathe.   After I've machined one journal, I just turn the crank around in the fixture and do the other journal.  There is no tailstock fixture.  Fortunatey, the journal to be machined is close enough to the chuck that overhang isn't a problem.

I'm thinking I might make a video of the process.

Chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 03:54:21 PM »
Thanks Chuck and yes please do make a video. That way we get to see how it's done.

Don

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 04:15:01 AM »
Here's the first of two videos showing how I make the crankshaft.  This video shows the basic process.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5N_A8Ef4CQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5N_A8Ef4CQ</a>

The second video will show me finishing it up.

Chuck

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 06:23:32 AM »
Nice informative video on making the crank Chuck.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »
Interesting and informative video Chuck.  Thanks for sharing.  Following with interest.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »
Love it Chuck, I will be waiting for the second video. Thanks a bunch buddy.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »
Most informative Chuck, thanks for taking the time to do the video!! Still loving what you are doing on this project.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal