Author Topic: IC 2 Cylinder Horizontal Engine  (Read 70215 times)

Offline kuhncw

Re: IC 2 Cylinder Horizontal Engine
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2016, 12:44:14 AM »
Chuck, nice job on the twin cylinder.  As Gary said, it's got the good old John Deere exhaust note.

I'm  looking forward to hearing the engine with generator load.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2016, 12:08:40 AM »
Well, this is interesting.  Today I modified the fuel tank, making it shorter and changing the fuel outlet to the bottom of the tank.  Engine runs much more consistently and for as long as I keep the ignition on.  As a matter of fact, it keeps right on running even after I turn the ignition off!   :facepalm:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxbXjj3-q0w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxbXjj3-q0w</a>

It had dieseled for 30 seconds or more before I pulled out my camera and started filming.  I finally stopped it with my hand at the end of the video.  Never had a model engine diesel on me before.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2016, 01:13:31 AM »
Interesting stuff Chuck!! I've never seen one do that either. Now you've got one that won't stop running and I've got one that won't start.--Strange days indeed!!!

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2016, 07:55:02 AM »
Combination of increasing compression ratio and it getting hot? Still, thought 6:1 would be way too low to cause pre-ignition! Is there a sharp edge somewhere in the combustion chamber that is a hot spot?

Sent from my E380 using Tapatalk

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #289 on: April 11, 2016, 04:57:28 AM »
Haven't started the engine since it was dieseling a couple of days ago.  I did continue work on the generator.  Here are a couple of pictures ready for it to be installed.

Chuck

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #290 on: April 11, 2016, 12:56:21 PM »
Very interesting Chuck, I have never seen one diesel like that before either. Will be interesting to see what you find as the cause of that...man it was running good too!!!

Bill

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #291 on: April 13, 2016, 10:35:37 PM »
Not sure what was the causing the dieseling.  I think it's just getting too hot and probably needs a cooling fan.  Here is another video with the generator and light hooked up.  Got it running pretty good right now although I'd like to slow down the idle some.  Unfortunately, it needs a heavier load and the 110 volt, 60 watt generator just isn't enough.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOfVX1zoMNw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOfVX1zoMNw</a>

Think I'm done with it for now.  Gotta get back to work on some of my other unfinished projects...

Chuck

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #292 on: April 13, 2016, 10:44:23 PM »
Very nice!!

Always fun to watch your builds progress, I learn a lot (just went back to one of your tips on taper locks for flywheels yesterday, added that to my pile-o-learnings).   :popcorn:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #293 on: April 13, 2016, 10:53:12 PM »
She's a great runner Chuck and alway and inspiration to follow your threads......  :praise2:

8)
Don

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2016, 10:59:08 PM »
Good stuff, Chuck. Now if the lights go out, neither of us will be left in the dark!!!---Brian

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2016, 11:37:30 PM »
Excellent Chuck. Congratulations.

110V 60 Watt is impressive to me.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2016, 01:06:23 AM »
Chuck,
Glad to see that you have your engine sorted out and running. I've been away from the computer for a few days and missed some stuff, Congrats. I recall that Dale Detrich often uses belt driven fans on his engines . A guy at the Badger steam & gas show has a generator and uses a computer fan for cooling. Just a thought.

Here' the photo he also has a bit more cylinder separation than you.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2016, 01:38:07 AM »
Nice running engine Chuck!

Dave

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2016, 10:32:57 PM »
A good runner, this twin cylinder, and powerful  too, he certainly could drive a air fan also !
Dieseling occurs generaly when a part inside cylinder gets and stays red hot, the  sparkplug or carbon deposit (if your engine is running rich).
You can also use a less volatile fuel, with higher contain in C8 and C9 to fix dieseling.
I like the way your engines are built, the steel base and main frame, your personal touch definitively.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #299 on: April 15, 2016, 09:47:26 AM »
Very nice  :praise2:  :praise2: 

Based on my horizontal engine yours should be good for a couple of hundred watts. I ended up gearing my generator up 1-4 to get enough load. Did you make any voltage or current measurements while the engine was running?
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal