Author Topic: IC 2 Cylinder Horizontal Engine  (Read 70153 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: IC 2 Cylinder Horizontal Engine
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »
I am liking this one a lot Chuck!  With two cylinders it should sound great, but are you concerned about heat build up?  Any thoughts as to a muffin fan or similar to blow across the cylinder head and body to aid in taking some heat away?

Bill

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »
Thanks Achim, Frank, Bill.

Bill, heat buildup is a bit of a concern.  I increased the overall dimensions of the cylinder block to allow for deeper fins.  Also, since the cylinder and head are aluminum, I'll get better heat transfer.  If push comes to shove, some sort of fan arrangement might be needed.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
Looks interesting Chuck.  I'll be following along :popcorn:

Here's to a successful project :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 11:48:22 PM »
Thanks, Phil.

Worked on the cylinder block today. 

I know it doesn't look like much was done, but I had to cut a length off a 2" x 3" rectangular bar, square up the ends, then surface it down to 1.75" x 2.75".  Next I'll bore out the 2 cylinders, then figure out the best way to shape the exterior, including the fins.  To cut the fin grooves, a 3/32" slitting saw in the mill seems like the right answer for the moment...

Chuck

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 12:28:37 AM »
I have to agree Chuck, for making the fins a 3/32" slitting saw should be plenty rigid and work well...just a matter of holding the part firmly and squarely. Looking good already!!

Bill

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 03:39:55 AM »
Finally got back out in the shop today after a few bad days following chemo on Tuesday.  Only have 4 more treatments to go, so there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Got the cylinder block pretty well shaped.  Still have some holes to drill and some surface finishing to do, but it's mostly there.

I cut the fin grooves with a 3/32" slitting saw.  The larger cut-out around the bottom of the cylinder was done with a 3/8" end mill.  The bore, after polishing, turned out to be around .890", a little over my target of .875", but that's not a big deal.  I think the engine frame is next on the todo list.

Chuck

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 03:59:45 AM »
Chuck,
Sorry to hear the chemo is going rough. But I realy like the progress you are making on the twin. This build reminded me of the guy from Watertown that built this vertical twin.

I liked how he used a generator and an arduino board to run the fan and LED lights. I think I'll have to learn how to do that.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 06:52:19 AM »
Hi Chuck, a big step forward already.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 02:57:19 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys.  Art, that vertical twin looks quite similar to a vertical twin I built several years ago.

Today I managed to tease a couple of engine frame sides out of a large piece of angle iron.  The angle iron, 4" x 4" x 1/4" is much larger than I needed, but it was the only piece available in the drop pile at my local metal supply place.  And it was free! 

Here I've cut one side off to the height of the side...

And here I've cut them and milled them to the finish dimensions, 4" x 1.75" x 3/8" (at the bottom)...

And here they are after the final shaping...

Tomorrow I hope to finish the frame front piece and the base...

Chuck

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 06:01:17 PM »
Nice, Chuck!!! I am following.---Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Chuck, you really work  wonders with that angle iron and the cylinder and head look great. Hang in there, I hope the next four treatments go by quickly for you. I has to help knowing that they are working too!!

Bill

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 03:49:37 AM »
Thanks, Bill.  Thanks Brian.   Appreciate all you guys following along!

Had another productive day today.  Got the front piece of the frame finished, finished frame pieces assembled and cylinder block mounted.  The front piece was made from a cutoff from the angle used for the sides.

I think the frame bottom will be next...

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 03:24:02 AM »
This evening I made the bottom plate for the engine frame.  It's made from 3/8" thick hot rolled steel.  The engine finish looks kind of rough at the moment, but most of the non-shiny parts will be painted in the end.

Tomorrow I plan to tackle the crankshaft...

Chuck

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
Chuck, that's great what you've done with that angle iron. It looks scale cast and machined. The whole engine is coming together very nicely. Seeing how chemo can knock you around, I admire your fortitude and seemingly uninterrupted progress on this project. All the best, Hugh.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »
Chuck, that's great what you've done with that angle iron. It looks scale cast and machined. The whole engine is coming together very nicely. Seeing how chemo can knock you around, I admire your fortitude and seemingly uninterrupted progress on this project. All the best, Hugh.

Thanks, Hugh.

I got started on the crankshaft yesterday.  I started with a piece of 5" x 1.75" x 1/2" hot rolled steel.  I've heard that hot rolled steel has fewer stresses built up in it and it is less likely to deform as it's machined.

I first cut out the two sides for the journal opening using my metal cutting bandsaw.

Then I center drilled  and used a 1/4" drill to help get rid of the waste pieces.

Then I chucked the piece in my bench vise and used a large-ish crescent wrench to break out the waste pieces.

And here I've finished rough-cutting out the crankshaft form.  I've also center drilled each end of the blank so I can turn the main journals between centers.  I'll then use a specially made jig to hold the crank off-center to turn the two connecting rod journals.

More to come...

Chuck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal