Author Topic: DC Motor / Generator from Ebay  (Read 6937 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
DC Motor / Generator from Ebay
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »
I just ordered a couple of these DC Motors off EBay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351133228708?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm thinking they should make pretty decent DC generators for use with model IC engines.  Will let you know how they work out when I get them...

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
Re: DC Motor / Generator from Ebay
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »
Those seem to be pretty nice motors, although rather large for just 60W. I bought some 12V 1/8 HP (1/4 HP peak) motors about the same physical size, and they were only about $6 each IIRC.

That was in 2004 and I haven't seen any such bargain since. But it pays to keep looking. You may even find that you can get a lot more power from your motors than the advertised 60W. Actually, mine are a bit larger and 1/8 HP is 93 watts, so 60W continuous (1/12 HP) is reasonable.

The high voltage might come in handy, and if you need other voltages you can connect the generator leads to an ordinary switching supply that can provide 5V, 12V, or other outputs with good efficiency. You might also be able to power a CFL or LED lamp directly. Most of them will operate on DC as well as AC.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:27:06 PM »
oooo you will have to let me no haw they work out

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:03:47 AM »
I have one of these waiting for me at the Post Office to collect tonight.

I did look at some of the motors used for electric model aircraft but they seem to be designed for much higher speeds.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »
I like the nice big 8 mm shaft, a lot of motors are nearer 3 mm/4 mm, and the revs aren't too high.
Ian S C

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
Chuck
For "enjoyable" reading, look at some of the Perpetual Motion forums.
Some guys spend an amazing amount of time on..,
A motor, connected to the shaft of another motor which is generating electricity to charge batteries which run the first motor.
Everyone needs a hobby
Best,
Stan

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »
Chuck
For "enjoyable" reading, look at some of the Perpetual Motion forums.
Some guys spend an amazing amount of time on..,
A motor, connected to the shaft of another motor which is generating electricity to charge batteries which run the first motor.
Everyone needs a hobby

Yeah, I used to get a kick out the youtube videos on over-unity generators.  But I soon got tired of the BS sales pitches.  I guess since their theories and designs simply won't work, big talk and psycho-babble is all they have left to convince people.

Thanks for the input folks.  I was drawn to this particular motor because of it's relative low RPM and high voltage.  I think it might be suitable to power a 40W or 60W incandescent bulb and put a decent load on the driving engine.

Chuck

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
looking forward to seeing the result, they seem a good size dyno for a sensible price

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »
My motors arrived from China a few days ago, so today I set about making a mounting system for them. 

The base is made from  .120" x  2" square steel tubing.  I cut 7/8" long tab on opposite sides, removing the waste from the other two sides.  Then I used the vice to bend the tabs to 90 degrees from the tube.  The housing is made from 2.5" OD x  0.25" wall aluminum tubing, 1.8" long.   The DC motor is 2" diameter, more or less and 3" long.  I had to bore the tube out slightly to a snug fit over the motor.

There are two 10-24 set screws in the bottom of the tube to keep the generator from rotating in the housing.  I also had to cut a slight concavity on opposite sides of the square tubing to accommodate the generator.   I cut 3/16" x .4375 slots in the base tabs to secure the generator to my engine base.

Not shown are two 4-40 countersunk screws through the side of the square steel tubing into each end of the aluminum generator housing.  Next, I'll mount the generator to my engine base and we'll see how it works.

Chuck

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:35:15 AM »
Are you intending to drive the generator with a toothed belt?

I am about to change the step up ratio on mine from 1-2 to 1-4 and am having to change to different belt type due to speed limitations.
Best regards

Roger

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 05:49:25 PM »
Yes, I'm using an XL timing belt, pitch is .2".  I don't plan to run the generator at lower RPM's, probably not exceeding 1500 RPM or so.  The engine will turn at around 750 RPM or less.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
I've been able to test the generator with my vertical single and the results are better than expected.  With a 60 watt bulb attached, the generator puts a sizeable load on the engine and the bulb will shine, albeit dimly, at slow engine RPM's.  I'm now working on a permanent assembly of the generator and light bulb, currently waiting for paint to dry.  Should have a video sometime tomorrow.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 04:44:18 AM »
So here is the light socket.  It takes a standard (American) style light bulb.  The fixture is designed to plug into an electrical outlet, ostensibly to provide an impromptu light source.

I fashioned a ring out of 3/16" thick aluminum plate and press fitted it to the fixture, also using some super glue to ensure it stays together. And here is the finished assembly, except for connecting up the wiring which I'll finish tomorrow.

Rather than include a switch, I'll just unscrew the light bulb to turn it off.  Worked for my Mom when I was a kid!

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
Here's the video...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLW8of6mzw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLW8of6mzw</a>

Correction to the video, the motor is designed for 120Volt, DC.

Chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »
Cool Chuck, your still the man buddy.................... :praise2:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 10:45:47 PM »
Seems you made a good choice buying those DC motors. They may put out enough voltage to run small electronic devices that have switching power supply front ends, where the DC would work just as well as AC. Good job on the mounting :)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
I think you've invented the torch. But seriously, that's great to see. That bulb really drains the engines power when its activated. Cheers, Hugh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
That works very well Chuck. Nice find on the motors and a well executed application with your engine!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 01:27:11 AM »
Nice work Chuck!

The engine sure sounds good with a load on it.

Dave

Offline RayW

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »
Very nice Chuck. The bulb really settles the engine down to a steady tickover. Great to see an engine working for its living.
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal