Author Topic: Can a mini mill handle a fly cutter?  (Read 5543 times)

Offline Chris Leverett

Can a mini mill handle a fly cutter?
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »
I have often thought about getting a fly cutter for my mini mill (x2?). I have  seen them on the internet listed for use on these mills so I know the machine can do it but can it really handle it. I know nothing about a flycutter other than what I have seen or read. Would it be a wise investment or would I have to go so slow with it that I would be better off simply going back and forth endlessly with an end mill to flatten largish things?
Thanks
Chris

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
Re: Can a mini mill handle a fly cutter?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
I have a Sherline mill, which certainly classifies as a "mini". They sell a fly cutter that uses a standard 1/4" lathe tool - either HSS or brazed carbide. It came with a brazed carbide tool which works fine and is less likely to overheat.
The only issue with it is that you need to be able to tram the mill accurately since it swings in about a two inch circle. Without good tramming you will be making cove moulding  ;D
What you usually can't do with them is cut into an inside corner, but mine at least makes a really nice flat surface.

Alan

p.s. You can see the Sherline product on their website. It's not suitable for your machine because it uses a #1 Morse taper shank, but it shows how a little one would look. They also have instructions on using one that would apply to your mill.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
I used one a great deal when I had the Grizzly G0704 (sane as Weiss BF20 and others).
Have a beautiful surface. As long as you don't go overboard on depth of cut and use cutting fluid, you'll be happy with it.
The finish improved dramatically after I ground the bits a la Bogstandard's instructions. VERY big radius.
I'll try to find a link.
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
Best,
Stan

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »
As long as you don't go overboard on depth of cut

Like Stan says.  I would go for 0.002" - 0.003" (max).  You're after a surface finish, not major stock removal.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Chris Leverett

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
Thanks guys! Especially for the link.

Chris

Offline ironman123

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 03:11:32 AM »
I have an X1 Micro Mill and I use fly cutters and face mills on it.  Be mindful of your feeds and speeds and depth of cut.
Ray
Central Texas

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 05:15:44 AM »
I have three sizes of fly cutters to use on my mini mill. Small, medium and large. They all work and they all work like crazy. Quit wastin' time, go get one, or two. They are one of the most valuable tools in your arsenal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal