Author Topic: Piston Hone (question for Ramon?)  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Piston Hone (question for Ramon?)
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
I have just come by a kit for an external hone for pistons (at least that's what I want it for), at a very nice price. The accompanying drawing is attached. It looks nice enough, although the drawing took a while to get my mind around (like why is the lower circular spacer 0.313 long when the gap it's spacing in is shown as 0.375"? Surely it would be better if it was a only couple of thou shorter than the gap?). I'm considering a couple of tweaks like brass-bushing the pivot holes and using a grubscrew rather than loctite to retain the pivot pin. But that's just normal tinkering.

The only time I have ever used one of these before (30ish years ago) it was subtly different. This one seems to be designed to have the honing stone set at a specific gap and be progressively adjusted down to size as honing progresses. The one I used before had the adjustment collar *between* the jaws (with a locking nut) to provide a "hard stop" and an adjustable spring pressure via a second knurled collar outside the jaws where this one has the "hard" adjustment. It also had a much finer thread so that it was easy to set the stop in increments of half a tenth or so.

I have very little experience in using these so hand those who have give me their views? Which type is better/easier/more-accurate to use? I won't be starting on this for another couple of months (at least), and I could easily make either type from the bits in this kit so all views/experiences would be appreciated - I mentioned Ramon in the title because of his superb "lapping and honing for dummies" threads which I've been avidly reading!

AS

Edited to correct for defective memory with massive apologies to Ramon!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:25:49 PM by Allen Smithee »
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Re: Piston Hone (question for Tangler?)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:51:13 PM »
On reading it again I realise that my verbal description of what I mean isn't as clear as it might be - I'll draw the two and post the drawing for clarity.

I'm also a little surprised that the lower V-block attachment screws go into the thinnest part of the material - I'd probably move these to the quarter-width position (one on each side) to get more thread engagement.

AS

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »
Maybe a couple of pictures will help you think about it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »
And I think its Ramon's lapping 'n' honing thread.

Unless you are making multi cylinder engines I can't see much point in a stop. You will usually be honing it down until it just starts to fit the cylinder so its really a case of hone a bit and test, hone a bit more and test again, etc. Infact you probably do't really need a screw, just hand pressure will do.

J
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:21:06 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:27:01 PM »
And I think its Ramon's lapping 'n' honing thread.

I was indeed - I've corrected that and offer my apologies to Ramon!

AS

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 06:27:36 PM »
Just for comparison here is my genuine Delapena version.

Phil

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Re: Piston Hone (question for Ramon?)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 06:31:30 PM »
Here's the quick powerpoint sketch of what I'm talking about. The upper one is the design as drawn, and the lower one is my memory of the one I used a few decades ago.

I take your point about piston sizing Jason, but would the hard-stop version makes it easier to do (say) crankshafts?

Dunno! Perhaps I'll make the bits for both versions and see which configuration works more effectively.

AS

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »
Maybe a couple of pictures will help you think about it.

I'm fairly sure that one was made from the same kit, Jo!

AS

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
Phil - what are those two ground bars for in the wooden box?

AS

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19:06 PM »

I'm fairly sure that one was made from the same kit, Jo!

AS

It was indeed  ;) I brought it to enable me to hone the R&B crankshaft big end journal, which if I recall correctly was why Bruce Davey originally designed this one.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
I take your point about piston sizing Jason, but would the hard-stop version makes it easier to do (say) crankshafts?

Yes it could help on a longer shaft to keep a constant dia.

For those with less of a casting fettish, Model Engine builder had a nice design for scratch built versions.

http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/issuetwentyfive.htm

Offline petertha

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »
Link to self-made external hone set with nice pictorials & description.
http://thebloughs.net/series/external-hone-2/

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 09:58:22 PM »

AS

They are some sort of setting bar as far as I know, I was told to put the bar in the tool as the stones and anvils were being tightened into position in the jaws to ensure they were square.
If anyone know differently I would be pleased to hear from them as I did not get any instructions with the kit.
I have used it though, and it makes a superb job of sizing a diameter in a very short time.

Phil

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 11:02:14 PM »
Link to self-made external hone set with nice pictorials & description.
http://thebloughs.net/series/external-hone-2/

They are interesting because they are the "hard stop" kind I've used in the past - if nothing else it's comforting that my memory wasn't making things up (again!)...

AS

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »

AS

They are some sort of setting bar as far as I know, I was told to put the bar in the tool as the stones and anvils were being tightened into position in the jaws to ensure they were square.
If anyone know differently I would be pleased to hear from them as I did not get any instructions with the kit.
I have used it though, and it makes a superb job of sizing a diameter in a very short time.

Phil

Ah, thanks - that makes sense. Something to ensure that the stone and V-block are parallel.

AS

Offline ruzzie

• Western Sydney Australia
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »
Hi
Having spent many a year with my hands in smelly cutting oil on a Delapena honing machine (internal) which used cast iron sleeves used for truing the mandrels. The trick to truing was to use only enough oil to make a nice abrasive slurry so it cut the stone and guides; then when you honed your hole you use enough oil to flush the crap out so the stones cut the job.
So I would guess that is what the bars are for, just used the other way round

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
Hi,

I haven't been on here for quite some time due to other distractions  ;) but as a result of our weekly chat's my friend Chris (Model steam) has just brought this to my attention.

I have two sets of Delapena external hones bought expressly for pistons and crankshafts. The round bars are indeed setting bars to bring the stones parallel but - as far as I am aware -  the bar is held in the lathe and rotated and the stones brought onto the shaft (well lubricated of course) as if in use properly - this will set the stones (particularly new ones) and take out any potential slight taper.

The nub is that having bought them (and a bench mounted internal hone) I still prefer to lap pistons down with a brass lap made for the relevant piston. Having used them (the Delapena) I feel that the external hone definitely has a tendency to barrel the piston blank as it moves over either end whereas the brass lap doesn't. They do work extremely efficiently however and produce a nice surface finish. I have used them on crankshafts but again there can be a problem getting up to the shoulder near the web.

I can't see a stop would be any great advantage - particularly, as Jason remarks, if making the piston (or a shaft) to fit a bore. Even on a multi cylinder I would still want to do that as opposed to 'interchangeability' though that said a stop could help prevent over doing things 'per pass'

If I were setting out again would I buy them? Probably not as the results achieved so far using the laps and methods described elsewhere have proved more than adequate for the task in hand - others of course may feel differently.

Hope that helps some - hope everyone is well too - I'm afraid I'm a hopeless cause being well and truly distracted at present but 'Forncett' isn't too far off so maybe that'll be the catalyst for revival  :)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
Good to hear from you Ramon - and well explained as ever! Enjoy your distractions  :)
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal