Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 151307 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 12:37:31 AM »
Very nice start on the gearcase. I' m along for the journey
 :popcorn:

Bill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 05:19:12 AM »
Hi Mike, very  interesting. First I have struggled to recognize the split lines, but now I hope I got it. Beautiful.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »
Excellent start  :praise2:  :praise2: I will be following along  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 03:50:23 PM »
4A   Supercharger Housings

The next parts to be made are going be a serious test of my CNC programming and machining skills. I will attempt to machine the two sets of the High Pressure and Low pressure Roots Compressor outer casings from solid billets of alloy. The original housings, made by Mercedes-Benz, were an outstanding feat of foundry work. The thin wall compressor casings were sand cast in magnesium. I will machine my compressor casings out of a solid round billet of aluminium alloy. But what a waste of metal !!!!! 95% of the billets will end up as chips in the scrap bin.

The 75mm (3 inch) diameter aluminium HE 30 TF alloy billets being sawn to length on the bandsaw. It seems to take forever to make those cuts

Two HP and two LP Roots compressor housings billets await their fate.

Drilling the hold down bolt holes to secure the billets onto the mill table. I am using a home made CNC dividing head to index the billet. There will be just enough room to fit under the headstock of my mill, provided I clamp the billets directly to the table.

The first HP housing billet clamped to the mill table and the chips begin to fly. I always machine aluminium alloy dry. I use the plastic pipe is used to blow the chips out of that deep hole.
Just remember to blow, not suck!

The inside of the HP compressor housing is starting to look quite nice. The base flange together with the bolt holes have already been machined, so everything should be concentric.
The bulk of the material is pocketed out, leaving a 10 thou finishing cut to bring the inside face of the compressor housing to size.

The bucket is nearly full and I have hardly started

Disaster strikes. One of the HP billets escapes from the hold down clamps. Will have to wait until a new 12mm long series end mill is delivered. Will give me time to consider what went wrong and how to stop it happening next time.

Got there eventually. Two sets of Hp and LP compressor housings finished internally and roughed to the required outside profile. Time for a cup of tea, while I consider how to tackle the inlet/ outlet ports and the fins.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:32:19 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »
Astounding work.I appreciate the setup and process photos.
With regard to the use of compressed air to clear the chips: It appears there is a through hole from the bottom of the workpiece for air flow, but It's not clear how things are plumbed from the plastic hose. Is there a passage made in the fixture plate somehow?

--Tim

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »
Tim
There is very little technology involved. I point one end of the plastic pipe down the hole, put the other in my mouth and blow (not suck). I tried an air compressor, but even at the lowest pressure I was getting sand blasted by the chips. Lung pressure worked much better

Mike

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »
Thanks for the clarification about the air source. Still, can you confirm that the end of the hose extends to a bottom hole in the workpiece so that the chips are being blown out from the bottom of the pocket? By the way, looking at the photo again I just noticed a smiley face drawn in the chip dust on the headstock!

--Tim

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »
Tim,
The plastic pipe just happens to be parked on the end of one of the hold down bolts.  That way I always get the 'clean' end to blow down. I simply point the hose into the cavity, every minute or so, and gently blow out the chips. There are no air passages in the base plate.
Sometimes you get some spit as well, I guess that acts as a cutting fluid.       LOL

Mike

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
Mike,
Gotcha. This is a trick I can use. I do blow the chips away a lot using my breath, but have never tried directing the flow with a tube .  It seems obvious in retrospect, but obvious things don't always occur to me...

--Tim

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
Tim
Just two things to remember.
1) always use the clean end of the tube
2) always remember to blow.

LOL

Mike

Part 4A Supercharger Housing,  was posted earlier, at the top of this page
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:50:40 PM by Vixen »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
I hadn't realised that your CNC mill could take cutters up to 12mm. What with the 30int nose they sound like they could be very useful addition to the workshop    :slap:

Sorry Mike decision made I am not going to Bristol this year :-[

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »
Great idea on the the " pocket blow tube" When I read your two things to remember,  I couldn't help but recall a joke I heard. A newly minted "city boy became farmer" let his cow get in the corncrib and she became bloated. The vet was summoned and told the poor chap, "we've got to get her gut working". He inserted a long tube up her bum and started blowing, stopping only to explain what he was trying to do. The poor girl was in a really bad way and when the vet needed to take a short break,  he handed the hose to the farmer and said you blow a bit.  Well, the old boy says I'm not blowing on that,  you've had it in your mouth.  So, the old vet retracts the tube, swaps ends, hands it to the chap, says I'm sorry,  and the old boy says; "now that's better " :lolb: :lolb:. Couldn't help myself  :mischief:

Cletus

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2015, 07:30:38 PM »
Jo
All my EMCO 30 Int tool holders have integral ER25 collet holders, therefore I could mount a 16mm milling cutter. I think that may be asking a bit much from an EMCO F1. If you can find a box full, you would indeed a have a very useful addition to your workshop.

Shame you cannot make it to Bristol, it is a very good show. Perhaps next year

Mike

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
Cletus,

Ha ha, I love your story.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, with AIDS, HIV etc. it may have been a safer option.

Mike

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »
This is another useful way of directing a jet of air to blow away the chips. I find the fishtail nozzle is better than a normal straight nozzle.
The only problem with compressed air is you go back into the house, at the end of the day, with aluminium dandruff.
One day I hope to get the CNC to control the air supply, so I can get a blast of air every 30 seconds or so.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:41:46 PM by Vixen »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal