Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 59899 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2019, 02:28:29 PM »
Splendid work as ever  :praise2:  :praise2: Thank you for the little bit of design history  :ThumbsUp: I believe that Austin Rover used a cut down Rover V8 as the basis for the V6 engine used in the MG Metro 6R4.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2019, 06:39:12 PM »
Great to see another update posted about this fantastic project  :praise2:

If you ask, "Does CNC make engine building easy?     I will reply, " CNC machining doesn't necessarily make it easy, but it does make very complex parts possible"

As someone who so far only has done 2.5D CNC to make dual sided PCB prototypes - I'm rather well aware of some of the many possible ways it still can go wrong - so you have my full "sympathy" (for lack of better word) for why you only did one at a time.
I would also have been worried that I didn't make the mistake of "mixing the files" - milling one side with the file for A and by mistake milling the other side with the file for B, C & D instead of A - been there, done that  :facepalm:  In my case less than £1 in materials + time ....

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2019, 05:10:44 PM »
Mike,
I saw this posted yesterday but had spent to much time on the computer already to be able to focus on reading it. This is great work! And yes it is way to easy to confuse and pick a similar program. At least you had two of each cam box.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »
Hello everybody, thanks for calling in.

In an industrial setting, one tool path program can be used to make thousands and thousands of identical components. By contrast, in the model engineering world, it can take a thousand different tool path programs to make a single engine. The industrial guys can afford to invest the extra time to fully optimise their tool path code, to minimise production time. Industrial machines are often expected to run unattended, all day and overnight producing  bucket fulls of identical parts. And as they say 'time is money'.

For engine building, I found it safest to create the tool path program(s) for a single component just before it is manufactured. Once the required number of parts have been made I delete that program from memory. That way, I cannot select the wrong one by mistake. If I need to remake a part, then I have to rewrite a new program. The base information for each program is always contained in the master CAD drawing. When the part(s) have been made, I delete that tool path program.

A single component such as a Cam Box for the W165 may need five or six separate programs, one for each cutter, drill size or set-up. I have got into the habit, because it has proved to be the safest approach, of producing the tool path code on the day I machine the part or parts. I don't normally spend a lot of time tuning or optimising the code, It's often quicker to stand by the machine, changing the tools manually and adjusting the feed rate, by ear, for different parts of the program. Sometimes the tool path code, produced by a CAM program, can waste time with unnecessary line of code which only machine thin air. These redundant line of code can of course be edited out,  but that takes time. I often simply increase the feed rate to maximum to quickly work off these unnecessary lines.

There are many roads to a destination, it's all about finding a method, or route, that works for you.

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »
Hi Mike, your are not alone, I do it the same way.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »
I use Sprutcam for a cam program and when it seems to be "machining air" I see if I can tweak it. I don't like the sliding scale on the screen no mechanical one one the Tormach. A little thing about what it's doing and looking at the screen instead. But that's just me.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2019, 09:25:26 PM »
Hello Art

My control program is LinuxCNC which is basically the same software behind your Tormach. I always prefer to use the keyboard, short cut button commands to change parameters. Like you, I am not comfortable with using the mouse to move the sliders, key strokes are safer, a physical knob or handwheel would be better still.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #277 on: January 05, 2019, 11:41:11 PM »
The short cut commands are great but I don't tend to remember them, use them. Ditto on the non-existent knob.
Art