Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 155510 times)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2015, 12:41:22 PM »
4B   Supercharger Housing (continued)

The machining of the two sets of HP and LP compressor housings was a lengthy exercise in Massive Metal Removal (MMR) Now is the time for some very cautious and precise work to complete the inlet/outlet ports and the cooling fins on all the Compressor Housings. The fins will reduce the compressor housings to 1.5mm wall thickness. One false cut and that part is reduced to a lump of scrap or a pile of misshapen washers.

Here the roughed out HP and LP Compressor Housings are trial fitted to the Gearcase. It is very rewarding when the ring of bolt holes in the mounting flanges line up perfectly, no oversize holes or filing to fit. Just remember that one flange face is a mirror image of the other.

The inlet and outlet ports on the LP Compressor Housing are massive. The Mercedes designers did not position the inlet and outlet ports symmetrically about the centre line. The pulses or air from the upper and lower halves will therefore arrive at the outlet port at slightly different times. This would appear to be intended to broaden or spread out the flow of pulsations of compressed air.

The inlet and outlet ports of the HP Compressor Housing. You can clearly see the asymmetry of the ports. The front face of the Compressor Housing is taking shape.

Some fine work with a 3mm ball nose cutter to create the cooling fins surrounding the bearing pockets at the front of the HP Compressor Housings.

Now the fun starts. Machining the cooling fins around the outside of the Compressor Housings. I used a single point cutter to cut each individual fin. It was a nervous time as the wall thickness was now reduced to only 1.5mm and the fins are 1.1mm wide. One false cut and I would have a pile of washers.

This is the single point form cutter I used to cut all the cooling fins on the LP and HP Housings. The HHS cutter is mounted in a boring bar holder, which is held in an INT 30 tool holder. The long overhang was necessary to reach to the end of the longer LP Housing. Gentle feeds and speeds prevented tool chatter.

Some views of the completed Supercharger housings assembled to the Gearcase. Very pleased with that days work. Time to relax with a hot cup of tea

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:40:19 AM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
BEAUTIFUL !!! :whoohoo: :whoohoo: :whoohoo:

Will be following with great interest.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Ron

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
Magnificent  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2015, 06:40:52 PM »
WOW. A really great job. I admire your work.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
It is my tribute to the excellence of the Mercedes Silver Arrows

Mike

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2015, 07:50:20 PM »
Awesome work Mike!!  That supercharger is a thing of beauty!!

Bill

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 09:24:23 PM »
I have to agree with the others. That is some mighty fine work your doing.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
5   Roots Blowers, Synchronising Gears and Rotor Lobes

The Mercedes Benz W165, 1.5 Litre, V8 engine was supercharged by an engine driven, two stage Roots Blower or compressor.

Both blowers, the larger first stage low pressure compressor, and the shorter second stage high pressure compressor both run at the same speed, the two pairs of rotor lobes are  the same diameter; but differ in overall length. Both are straight two lobe rotors without twist, which would normally create significant pressure pulses. The Mercedes Benz engineers cleverly designed asymmetry into the positioning of the inlet and outlet ports of each compressor to broaden, or spread out, the flow of pulsations of compressed air.   The pulses of air from the upper and lower paths of each compressor arrive at the outlet port at slightly different times. 

The compressor lobes are essentially a pair of two tooth gears. A pair of gears with only two teeth will not drive each other continuously, so an additional pair of external gears are required to keep the two compressor lobes synchronised. Unlike the synchronising gears, the two compressor lobes must not be allowed to touch anywhere when rotating, otherwise they will quickly seize. Excessive clearance would lead to unacceptable compression losses. The synchronising  gears therefore need to be very precisely made to minimise the clearance between the two lobes and prevent contact at all times.

The first job was to make the gear blanks and shafts complete with keyways. Note the special tube nuts.

The overall machining of the gear blanks was completed before the teeth were cut.

Gear cutting underway. The tooth form is 1.0 module. I used involute cutters from China, they seem adequate for the job.

I cut enough synchronising gears for my two engines plus a spare set.

The full size compressor rotor lobes were made by thin wall casting. I decided to machine my lobes from solid. there were made in sections to allow the centres to be hollowed out to reduce weight and help heat dissipation. The individual sections are to be bonded and pinned to the shafts.

The gears and shafts are hand selected for minimum backlash. I found it easier to check the gear meshing with the gears at the wrong end on the blower casing. It was almost impossible to do it inside the gear casing at the back of the blowers. Once the gears and shafts were selected they remain as a matched set forever.

Three lobe sections are bonded to the High Pressure compressor shafts

Five lobe sections are bonded together to form the longer Low Pressure compressor.

The two lobes and their synchronising gears are trial fitted. The lobes are slightly oversize at this stage

The slow process of hand fitting the lobes to the compressor housing begins.

First the rotor lobes are made to fit the housings, with a few thou. clearance, by careful hand scraping and fine 'wet-n-dry' abrasive paper.

Then the clearance between the individual rotor lobes is hand worked so that the two lobes do not contact each other but with the minimum of clearance.

This seems to be a never ending process. Even the minimal backlash in the synchronising gears allows contact between the rotor flanks. Assemble, test, remove contact patch, reassemble, test, remove contact path........repeat........repeat.

And all in the name of model engine making.

The next parts to be made are the external manifolds which join the two compressor housing. That will be all precision machining and a welcome rest from hand fitting.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:32:30 PM by Vixen »

Online sco

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
I admire your patience and your skill!

Why are there a pair of gears on one of the shafts that appear to mesh with a single gear on the other shaft - is this a form of scissor gear to minimise backlash?

Thanks for sharing the build with us,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2015, 04:18:34 PM »
Hello Simon.
Rear half of the double gear is driven by the engine. The front half is used only to synchronise the two rotor lobes. Therefore the gears only have to see the loads and wear rate associated with one task. That is how important Mercedes Benz considered the precision of the synchronising gears to be.

Mike

Online sco

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
Mike,

Understood - thanks very much!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2015, 06:44:54 AM »
Thanks for the information about this book. As you say, it appears to be very informative. I will certainly add it to my library collection

Cheers

Mike

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 04:57:22 PM »
6  Inlet Manifold

Note to Jo   No castings were harmed in the making of this part.

I realise it has been a while since I last posted some progress in the build of the Mercedes W165 engine.

This is how I made the inlet manifold which connects the two carburetors to the inlet of the first stage supercharger compressor. On the full size engine the inlet manifold was a magnesium casting. For the 1/3 scale model I carved (machined) the inlet manifold out of a single block of aluminium because no model castings exist.

The first step was to get the aluminium block square and to size. The corner marked in black is the datum.
The internal features were the first thing to be machined. The interior cavity connects the two circular inlet ports to the large rectangular outlet port, which bolts to the first stage of the superchargers.

Material was machined from each face in turn until the rough outline of the inlet manifold slowly emerges. You need to plan the machining order carefully, otherwise you can easily machine away the part you need to clamp to for the next operation.

Here I have completed all the machining operations. Both flanges have been profiled and bolt holes drilled. The next stages are all hand worked with router bits in the Dremmel. I prefer to use a flexible extension for this type of work. Hand carving aluminium is very satisfying but it takes time and you get completely covered with aluminium dandruff.

Here is the inlet manifold after most of the hand working has been completed. There is still some areas which need a little more detail work.
The surface still needs to be sand blasted and coloured to resemble a chromated magnesium casting.
I need to take the sand blast cabinet into the garden (away from the machinery) so will have to wait until the weather improves, before I can do that stage.

This is a trial fit of the inlet manifold to the first stage supercharger housing. Some small areas still need some tidying up.

Thank you for looking

Mike

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:23:21 PM by Vixen »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2016, 06:49:26 PM »
That's some splendid carving  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards