Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 154834 times)

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
I used JB Weld epoxy and numerous small screws to hold the transfer manifold together. I made the screws (M2.0) from the same grade of aluminium as the manifold. The screws have long cylindrical heads which stick out above the manifold. You could easily do the same for your coolant pump.

The screws hold the parts together and the epoxy seals the joint. I then file the aluminium screw heads to blend in with the manifold. The screw heads become invisible.

I would prefer to use a two pack polyurethane instead of epoxy, it is slightly more flexible. Unfortunately, I cannot find any in small quantities in tubes.

Can you tell me about the aluminium solder you used to fabricate the Bugatti crankcase. What type do you use and there there any problems with it?

Hope you get the Bugatti running sweetly soon.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline michelko

« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »
Mike i used a rubbing solder. You have to melt the solder u d then scratch tith metalbrush or an screwdriver tip in the liquid solder. This rubbing breaks the oxide layer.
Unfortunately the solder has a different colour then the aluminium. Next time i will weld it.

Michael

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »
Thanks Michael,

That solder sounds like our 'Technoweld'.
The guy demonstrating it at model shows is very clever and makes it look so easy. I am not so clever.

Mike

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »
Not to pester you Mike, but has your build been put on the backburner ?

I will not blame you if that is the case as I haven't been in my shop since July (too busy trying to make a living) ....

Best wishes

Per

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2017, 10:50:10 PM »
Hello Per

The W165 is proceeding, but at a slow pace. I have had some very important family matters to attend to, which takes first priority.

I am actually further ahead than the build log would suggest. These days, I never seem to have spare time to write the build log or work at all the other things I would prefer to do.

Thanks

Mike

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2017, 01:11:40 AM »
Incredible work Mike.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2017, 10:05:03 AM »
Thanks Bob,

At least it is easier to see and touch than your tiny Tiny

Mike

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
Hello Mike

I certainly understand that you prioritize family and also that it takes quite a bit of time to post a build log compared to just posting comments. It took me at least as much time to prepare a log with pictures post as the actual time I machined the parts on the few I have done so far.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »
I am happy to say that things are improving for me on a personal front  and I can now devote more time to this build log.

The past two years have been a very difficult time for me. Thankfully that is almost over and the family can return to normality, whatever that is. During the hard times I would often run to my workshop and immerse myself in a little 'metal therapy' for an hour or two. There is nothing quite like it. Machining requires such total concentration and the exclusion of all outside pressures. What a great hobby we all share.

Another factor influencing the build log was the considerable amount of time require to prepare the images using 'Photo....it'. It was never the easiest or friendliest package to use and now they are issuing ransom threats to extort large sums of money from it's clients. Fortunately Ade has come to our rescue and provided MEM members with a very quick and easy to use alternative. Thanks for that Ade, much appreciated.

So on with the Mercedes W165 Build Log
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:27:28 AM by Vixen »

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »
Part 8     Superchargers Assembled

Here are some photos of the assembled two stage supercharger for the Mercedes Benz W165,   1.5 litre Grand Prix engine. There is still some detail work to do but I now know that the rotors fit and rotate freely and the various inlet and transfer manifolds all fit and connect where required.

You can see I have attached a pair of modified Walbro carburetors to the inlet manifold. I intend to replace their diaphragm fuel pumps with an engine driven fuel pump as the build proceeds. Those black pipes which snake all over the top of the blowers is part of the oil scavenge system. Excess oil is sucked away from the full size engine's rotor bearings by one of the many engine driven scavenge pumps.

In this overhead shot of the two stage blower. You can just make out the joint lines between the transfer manifold shells. The right hand (HP) manifold is in two parts and the left (LP) is in three parts. The wall thickness of the shells is about 1.5mm. The screws holding the manifold shells together were made from the same material as the shells and are filed flush to blend in perfectly. I have still to make the big pipe clamp which joins the left and right halves together.

The gears at the rear keep the two rotor lobes synchronized and prevent them touching. During the manufacturing process something has become magnetized. Could be the shafts or the keys or the nuts or either of the gears. The gears mesh perfectly and run smoothly but unfortunately sometimes small metal particles are attracted to the gears and interfere with their meshing. I need to find a way of permanently demagnetizing the gears. So I am looking out for one of those demagnetizing (degausing) gizmos that we used to use to clean the heads on reel to reel tape records way back in the 1960's.

The next part of the build log will describe the machining and manufacture of the Crankcases

Online sco

« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
Awesome stuff Mike!

Every year the Benz classic team come to the factory after the FoS to give us a private show and tell - they are very approachable so if you have some questions I can try and ask them next year.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Mike great work

Demagnetisers

I have one shown bottom left at this site they are small fits on your hand but it does the job, after all they are only a ac fed coil

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/demagnetizers

It will not do a 150mm dia three jaw chuck  8)

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »
Incredible and beautiful.
Thomas

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
Mike!

I am so glad to see you back at this build!   It's inspiration!    I'm in a shop overhaul mode at the moment, so more space, and better utilization of it is under way...just got rid of 1000 pounds of stock that hasn't seen the light of day in 20 years....made up some space and more clean out to come

Keep em coming!    I have to get my head wrapped around the whole photo(*#(*@ thing.....trust me I have a LOT of pictures over there...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
Hello Simon,

Mercedes Benz are usually reluctant to give away information that would help builders of replica engines and replica cars bearing the three pointed star. A few years ago they got the German Customs and Excise to impound several well made replicas of the famous Gull Wing sports car. The replicas were being passed off as the real deal, they were confiscated and ordered to be crushed. My model engine is 1/3 scale and could hardly be passed off as a full size M-B engine.

I could not afford to go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year, so missed the chance of meeting the Benz Classic Team, who look after and run the W165 . How well do you know Gert Straub (head of the engineering dept) or Manfred Oechsle ( the W165 engineer)? I would dearly like to get some modern photos of the Camshaft Drive Gear Chest at the rear of the engine and also photos of the Water Pump at the right front. Is there any chance you could ask Benz Classic on my behalf?

Cheers

Mike
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:10:35 PM by Vixen »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal