Author Topic: Elmer's Fancy Wobbler #15 - First run on live steam!  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Inky Engines

• NE Derbyshire, UK
Elmer's Fancy Wobbler #15 - First run on live steam!
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »
Some of you may have seen this engine and boiler combination elsewhere, if so please forgive the intrusion - I've posted it here with the intent of providing a a more complete record of Inky Engines on MEM. 

This is the first steam boiler I've built, and was fitted in between builds of Elmer's Grasshopper, and the combination of Elmer's Mill and Factory Engines. It involved my getting to grips with silver soldering ... also a first.  I decided to pair the boiler up with an example of Elmer's Fancy Wobbler built entirely of brass and stainless steel.  The engine was built as a gift, and will soon be on its way to Florida.

The boiler is based loosely on a design by Stan Bray in his book 'Making Simple Model Steam Engines'. It is silver soldered throughout, pressure tested to 120 psi and with a relief valve set at 30 psi. Originally I intended that it would run on solid fuel tablets but it took about 60 minutes to produce steam - a 1" diameter ceramic gas burner achieved the same result in 4 minutes!

An 'interesting' first run of the engine / boiler combination is included in video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzVHH0GOmnE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzVHH0GOmnE</a>

So now its back to the Mill and Factory engine builds - both are running, but I want to change some of the fixings to studs and nuts ... will post when complete.

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Elmer's Fancy Wobbler #15 - First run on live steam!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
Hi Geoff, i don't recall seeing the combination before but it looks just great. The boiler is just beautiful in fact.  So what will you pair it with once you ship the Fancy to Florida?

Bill

Offline Inky Engines

• NE Derbyshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
Bill

Thanks for your comment.

When I built the Fancy Wobbler as a gift - I took the opportunity of building another - it really is almost as quick to build two than just one!.    However, I may just let the boiler play the field a little before it settles down with a long term partner!  I'd like to try my slide valve engines on live steam, but I'll need to change the plastic valve chest and cylinder head covers first - I wonder if a displacement lubricator may also be beneficial?

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »
Well Done Geoff  :ThumbsUp:

For a permanently connected setup, a lubricator will most definitely be beneficial - especially if you're going to run an engine from it that's difficult to lubricate from the outside and if you intend to steam it up for extended periods.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:48:31 AM »
I agree with Arnold as to the lubricator. Not sure whats available from UK sources but after building the boiler, building a lubricator scaled to fit the boiler and whatever engine you end up pairing it with should be a relatively simple matter.  I keep looking at that boiler ....awesome!!!

Bill

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »
I keep looking at that boiler ....awesome!!!

Agree! The boiler is a gem.

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:07:15 PM »
Good timing on your post, Geoff. I am just now researching boilers and ancillaries to run my little wobblers and a couple more I plan to make. I ordered the Bray book, but it's still on it's way to me from your beautiful country.
I'm glad to hear the boiler is from that book. Make my day and tell me the book has plans for a hydro test pump... or a manual feed pump that can be used as such.
And, your boiler is indeed a beauty.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 09:43:18 PM »
Gary, Chuck. Please recognize this thread is 6years old. While Geof is still a member, he hasn't been active on the forum since last september. Perhaps you can reach him via PM or email.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal