Author Topic: The Alyn Foundry A&T engine.  (Read 7929 times)

Offline RayW

Re: The Alyn Foundry A&T engine.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 03:54:02 PM »
Hi Graham. I am intrigued. Without any drawings,how did you build in the first place? Did you scale down the measurements from a full size engine?
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 04:54:44 PM »
Hi Graham. I am intrigued. Without any drawings,how did you build in the first place? Did you scale down the measurements from a full size engine?

Dear Ray.

No intrigue as such, engine number 193, an 1892 Hornsby Akroyd 2. 1/2 HP was owned by a friend of mine. He let me keep it ( under serious security ) for a year. I was able to " pattern up " without any disassembly ( another stipulation ) for the subsequent model.

The original engine had quite it's own story, first being shipped out to an agency in South America where it sat for several years un sold. Then shipped back to the UK where it finally got to do some work. But being such a large engine with such a low HP the engine ended up being donated back to the now Ruston Hornsby diesel engine works where it was restored by the training school apprentices in the 1960's. 

During the demise of Ruston Hornsby 193 who had sat dormant in the works foyer for many years was acquired by Dr T . Who then sold it on to my friend. Many a happy hour was spent on the northern Stationary engine rally scene, mainly tinkering with " B " thing !!  YES even the full size one could not be left unattended. I felt sure it was cursed,  ;) it would rev up, miss fire, all at the wink of an eye. Imagine what one is like.......... four times smaller !!

In the end, upon a whim, or maybe the money, he sold 193 for a sum in the 10's of hundreds..  Twas tidy, I can tell you !!

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »
Hello Jason.

Rather than clutter Chipmaster's Retlas thread. I found this in the workshop!  ;)

Half an A&T engine with many novel features.

It uses Petrol as fuel with an air pump to both pressurise the fuel tank and provide a gaseous fuel for hot tube ignition. It also has direct fuel injection into the cylinder.

This was a one off built and run at one of the 1000 engine rallies at Tatton Park Knutsford Cheshire, post 1990 as I have used a couple of Gardner eccentric straps.

The crankshaft, piston/conrod and flywheel ended up on the last photo.   ;)

Personally I think Vincent made a nicer looking pedestal base than De Bolt?

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 03:07:09 PM »
Sounds a bit like a flame thrower to me ;)

Yes Vincents lighter base looks a lot better and also has the cast in areas around the hold down bolt holes, I think the Debolt did have something cast in but Irish Dave got to the casting before me and gave it a good pasting with body filler below that grey primer.  I may still add some raised bosses to teh holes and could even turn down the bottom of the base to make it thinner which would reduce the weight a bit as a bonus. The Debolt also goes for spark ignition which is a bit of a cheat.

One other thing that I don't think will be very effective on the Debolt is the cooling, it only has one vertical drilled waterway between the two pipe connections so very little water in the cylinder unlike yours with the jacketed cylinder. That radiator casting they supply is also not cored so a few drilled holes won't hold much water. Though I doubt mine will get much prolonged running.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
Resurfaced.

It's always nice to see old customers, but today saw a visit from a partner....

Mike started out as a customer many years ago, usually buying an engine casting kit at one of the rallies we used to attend in the North West of England. We soon became firm friends as Mike didn't live too far away. He quietly amassed and built our whole range, including some engines that were never marketed. Some 15 or so years back Mike dropped off his Robinson " X " type that he couldn't get running. He had modified the burner for the hot tube and wasn't getting enough heat on the tube. I told him what was wrong and the next I heard was that he'd suffered a fatal heart attack.

Today, Mikes former partner picked up the Robinson....

Later this afternoon I got an email, the picture is attached. One of only three of the Isaac F Allman engines that were built.... It's been under a bench!!

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US453071

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »
Thanks for the update Graham, it's a nice looking engine. Are there any others lurking under that same bench?

J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal