Author Topic: The Alyn Foundry A&T engine.  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
The Alyn Foundry A&T engine.
« on: July 16, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
Dear All.

So as not to upset Chipmaster's thread I have posted a picture of the only A&T engine built by yours truly, to be in keeping with the original design.

My very good friend Vincent Salter of ( Retlas  ;) )  fame made the patterns from a drawing he found in American gasoline engines, many moons ago.

I have no idea where it resides now, I believe it changed hands quite a few times.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: The Alyn Foundry A&T engine.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
Hi Graham,

That engine is slightly different to Ron's one as the drawing shows it having a 10" diameter flywheel with curved spokes.

To give a bit more of an idea of size the base casting is 12 1/4" high to the centre of the bearing.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »
Nice to see it in the flesh, looks quite similar to this 3/4HP one.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
Hi Graham,

That engine is slightly different to Ron's one as the drawing shows it having a 10" diameter flywheel with curved spokes.

To give a bit more of an idea of size the base casting is 12 1/4" high to the centre of the bearing.

Jo

Hi Jo.

This one ?   ;)

Cheers Graham.

PS. I have this George Baily Brayton engine at 1/3 rd scale 2/3 rds patterned up. The foundry closed just at the wrong moment !!

PPS. Yes Jason, that's the very print that Vincent used for his replication !!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 05:06:10 PM »
:naughty: These are looking very interesting are there any other engines that you have hidden away up your sleeves   :embarassed:.

I am guessing that the original A&T engine would have had a counter weight built into the flywheel rather than the web shown on the drawings  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
Hi Jo.

I thought that was a picture of Ron's engine ?

I have just checked my A&T book there might have been up to 10 sets cast. I still have my half built one.

By the way, did Ron tell you how hard he had to twist my arm for those castings ??   :)

As for other hidden gems, yes, a few. Vis a Vis RLE. ALF. The Wyvern.............  ;)

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 06:36:04 PM »
I believe it is but I have not seen it yet.

I do not know what an ALF is.

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »
I believe it is but I have not seen it yet.

I do not know what an ALF is.

Jo

;)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 07:49:30 PM »
 :headscratch: I haven't seen that one before.

Do you have any others  :mischief:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »
 :headscratch: Did you mean Westbury's Wyvern?

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
:headscratch: I haven't seen that one before.

Do you have any others  :mischief:

Jo

Dear Jo.

Well there's my Avatar !! The Penultimate gas engine. I also have full rights to a " side by side " Heinrici hot air engine too.

No, our Wyvern was a scratch design 2 stroke open crank engine using 2 cylinders one for charging and the other for running. Still an unfinished engine.

I have attached a photo of our most complicated scale model that after 9months of hard work turned out to be nothing more than a " Mantelpiece Engine " !! I could never get it to run well.

Cheers Graham.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:16:13 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline RayW

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 10:38:20 AM »
Hi Graham,

Are the patterns still around for the Hornsby, or would it be possible to purchase a set of plans from you? I helped to preserve and operate a full size 12 1/2 horsepower Hornsby for a local windmill and spent many happy hours in the engine house on open days. The attached photo shows the engine, still in its original paintwork, exactly where it was installed in 1923.

Regards

RayW
Ray

Offline Myrickman

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »
Graham, your mention of the Brayton engine peaked my interest. Are you planning on making it with constant pressure combustion. What is the bore and stroke you will use? I have been messing with a replica of his patent model which gives me a few teasing spits and pops, but nothing continuous. There is a fellow in California who has converted a steam engine to a Brayton cycle. I believe his is a 4x8 bore and stroke . Shame about the foundry, would have liked to see the finished goods. Paul

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 11:31:52 AM »
Hi Graham,

Are the patterns still around for the Hornsby, or would it be possible to purchase a set of plans from you? I helped to preserve and operate a full size 12 1/2 horsepower Hornsby for a local windmill and spent many happy hours in the engine house on open days. The attached photo shows the engine, still in its original paintwork, exactly where it was installed in 1923.

Regards

RayW

Dear Ray.

My apologies for the late reply.

Our patterns are all safe with a selection of primary and secondary masters.

My policy has always been to build the engine and then draw the outcome, so, as a result our Hornsby Akroyd never got to that stage. There are just two models,mine which still lacks the air blower drive and another that did get fully completed by a very good friend of mine.

I have decided to pass on these patterns to Geof at the Anson Engine Museum, in the hope that a kit may become available in the future.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
Graham, your mention of the Brayton engine peaked my interest. Are you planning on making it with constant pressure combustion. What is the bore and stroke you will use? I have been messing with a replica of his patent model which gives me a few teasing spits and pops, but nothing continuous. There is a fellow in California who has converted a steam engine to a Brayton cycle. I believe his is a 4x8 bore and stroke . Shame about the foundry, would have liked to see the finished goods. Paul

Dear Paul.

My apologies also.

The Brayton cycle, almost forgotten these days, but was a pioneering stage in the evolution of the IC Engine!! Now almost everyone has been propelled by it, in the form of the Jet engine.

My model was to have a 4" bore and 8 " stroke but have the gas mixed with the compressed air on entry to the cylinder. The thought of a large vessel containing an explosive mixture was, to say the least, a little daunting!! However the " Lakes Patent " does make reference to the use of " Ordinance " grade material!!
Apparently there were many blow backs occurred during running hence the large safety valve that was fitted.

These patterns will also be passed on to the Anson but may never be reproduced.  Time, unfortunately, keeps on moving and there is always something else to attend to!!

Kind Regards, Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal