Author Topic: Designing and old Viking 2.5 CI engine in Geomatic Design  (Read 11434 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Designing and old Viking 2.5 CI engine in Geomatic Design
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:33:37 AM »
I have tried a few times over the years to make a satisfying version of the old Danish Viking 2.5 Diesel (CI) engine in Alibre - now Geomatic.

This is my 6th attempt on the crankcase and I'm finally getting a result I like, so I will share it with the rest of you here.

The original can be seen here http://modelenginenews.org/ - search Viking.

I would really like to restore this engine as the crank and conrod + piston are worn down, but I can't find the pin that is locking the prop driver to the crank - see drawing.

Below I will attempt to publish my 3D model of the engine.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Designing and old Viking 2.5 CI engine in Geomatic Design
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
Sorry but I get internal server error when attaching the pdf file ....  :hammerbash:  :killcomputer:  :cussing:

And posting to root@ .... get an invalid mail address error back from the forum .....

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 11:41:26 AM »
Just the file gives the same result - so what do I do wrong ?

Filename is Viking.pdf (including the path), so that shouldn't do anything  :noidea:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
How large is the file Admiral?

Bill

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »
The idea of incorporating downthrust into the crankshaft bearings is certainly novel, but I can't help thinking this geometry will cause some mechanical issues with the crankpin and disk...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
 :headscratch: The exhaust seems to be facing forward.

I wonder what they made the fuel tank out of to get that lovely red colour.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:30:02 PM »
Probably a clear tank with some of that Ribina Eric was trying to get his engines to run on last week in it.  ;)

There may well have been a U shaped exhauset pipe with a "T" in the middle that went into the hole. Have a look at your "Pantera" 3cc drawings for an example
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:35:09 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
:headscratch: The exhaust seems to be facing forward.

Unusual, but by no means unique. Placing the exhaust at the front puts the hottest part of the cylinder in the same place as the most effective cooling, reducing the thermal distorsion which tends to make a cylinder "lean" backwards as it warms up.

I wonder what they made the fuel tank out of to get that lovely red colour.

This must be some new, or previously obscure, usage of the word "lovely", but...

It's probably just red perspex or nylon. Either that or it was originally white and its current colour is evidence that this engine bites when you try to start it. The PAW 149 contest mk3 had similar habits.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 09:16:40 PM »
Muddled Engineer sent me a couple of pictures of his engine and he tells me they also did a front
induction engine as well  :naughty:.

Seemingly this is one of those engines he keeps promising to make a diecast pattern for but best not hold your breath  ::)

Jo
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:20:05 PM by Jo »

Offline muddled engineer

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »
As to finding the pin that holds the prop driver on, stop looking, as  that was only fitted to the very early engines
 and not fitted to the later ones as the drilled made the crankshaft very weak, the prop driver on my engine is
held on by a taper on the crankshaft and in the prop driver, I have attached two pictures of my prop driver fit.

Many thanks to Jo for posting my other pictures as I could not find the link to the thread :facepalm:.

I have attached two pictures of the rear rotary 3.5cc Glow Viking engine, sadly I no longer have this engine and have
 not seen another one since parting with it  :'(

:old: Eric

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 11:22:05 PM »
The pdf is slightly on the large side as I haven't got a clue how to reduce it's size - 2.62 MB. - as read elsewhere on site, this might explain.

Ah Eric,  so it's your engine that are on the pictures Ron published and mine are the disassembled one.

Big bummer about the Viking 3.5 as they are rare. The production of the Viking 2.5 CI started in the beginning of the 1950's and stopped many decades later - you could certainly buy them from new when I was a teenager in the 70's.

I only ever read the rumors about it's future release in late 50's or early 60's in dad's old magazines. He throw those old mags out some 15 years ago after asking me if I was interested. I was, but didn't have space for them and we agreed that "Stats Biblioteket" - the Danish National Library would have copies as they are required to by law. When Ron asked for info, I tried the former mentioned institution, only to discover that they only had the first two issues and claimed that there was only ever published seven issues. I could inform them that they had broken the law and that I personally had read more 15 years off twelve issues published every year - I was not happy to realize that a great magazine about Post War Denmark had wanished, with all it's info  :toilet_claw:

So you two pictures above are the only ones I've seen - and thank you very much for the info with pictures on how the prop-driver is attached. Do you heat it first before removing or is it only pressure between the prop-driver and the crankshaft ?

Best wishes
Per
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:28:04 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 03:16:14 AM »
Here ya go

Compress PDF Files Online!https://docupub.com/pdfcompressOnline PDFcompress makes it possible for anyone to reduce the size of large PDF documents without the need of installing special software.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »
Hi Per,

Having spoken to Eric this evening he knows someone with another of the Viking 3.5cc engines so it is not totally impossible to borrow the engine and produce a drawing for one  :naughty:

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 07:43:21 PM »
Thank you all for your kind replies and help.

I was not happy about the results of trying to resize the pdf, so I tried to create a OneDrive account and post a link here - let's see how that goes :

- Link deleted -

:facepalm2:  - That did not work as I hoped for - you are not shown the file, but invited to edit it in Word  :toilet_claw:

I would certainly love to get my hands on some castings for both the 2.5 and the 3.5 if they ever surface and I would also gladly be the one creating the drawings for them.

I did get the prop-driver of the crank after seeing Eric pictures - it was very easy : hold the prop-driver in front of some soft jaws and using a small punch and very small hammer and a light blow and they are now separate  :whoohoo:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:24:11 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
I finally found a Free hosting company without adds where I could create an account - so my next attempt comes here :

http://admiral-dk.byethost24.com/Viking_2.5_r0.3.pdf

Let's see if this works ....

:whoohoo:  It works on my PC  :whoohoo:

I hope you will enjoy it too  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal