Author Topic: Alyn Retlas  (Read 5291 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Alyn Retlas
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 08:02:18 AM »
The Retlas was loosely based upon the Gardner size 1 vertical gas engine.

:headscratch: I just confused myself by looking at the Gardner "O" drawings.

The bits that we are missing on our Retlas drawings are the sheets with the cylinder/liner, valve chests and the valves on it: are they the same as on the Gardner size 1 engine  :noidea: Looking at the page numbers on our drawings, assuming that all the drawings are sequential, the ones missing are: 201, 202, 205, 206, 208, 209, 211 & 212

I was going to redraw it in Alibre (Cubify) but with a few sheets missing it is not as simple as it could have been.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »

cylinder/liner, valve chests and the valves on it: are they the same as on the Gardner size 1 engine

I should hope not as you may find the compression is a bit low when you come to fit the 1.375" O size piston into the 1.75" Retlas cylinder :'(

Patients I have said the drawings are comming.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »
Patients I have said the drawings are comming.

You clearly have not lived with a woman and had a Honey-do list  :LittleDevil:

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »
Yes, patience Jo.   :)

I have just finished speaking with Geoff Challinor who has the entire, original, drawing set for the Retlas in his possession at the moment. I can sort you out with the missing pages !!

After sleeping on your PM I have made the decision to pass on all the Alyn foundry patterns to the Anson Engine museum so that they can continue the future of my hard work. And hopefully bring in a little extra revenue.

As a by the way, if there are any builders that bought Gardner castings from the Museum, Geoff sends his thanks as the sales generated did help the Museum through a rough patch some time back.  :ThumbsUp:

My goodness, how I wish there were 3D printers back then!! Patternmaking would have been a doddle !! There was 3 weeks work went into the  Hornsby Akroyd flywheel alone.

Rambling again !!

Cheers Graham.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »
Graham

That's very generous of you I am sure the will make good use of them

It's nice to see all your hard work live on

Unfountuatly the engines are to big for me to build ( I cannot move heavy things anymore)

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 04:06:46 PM »
After sleeping on your PM I have made the decision to pass on all the Alyn foundry patterns to the Anson Engine museum so that they can continue the future of my hard work. And hopefully bring in a little extra revenue.

That sounds like an excellent idea  8)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal