Author Topic: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS  (Read 24904 times)

Offline Gary Brooke

A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:00:17 PM »
This is the tale off my project to build 2 5" gauge locomotives. Why 2? when I first started on my first one about five years ago it was my first engine.It was going well when I was diagnosed with a sleep disorder. I was prone to fall asleep at any time didnt matter what was going on not good to play with machines. So a big decision had to be made pack it all in or carry on with parts that could be made buy hand and hope that the treatment would work. I have never started anything not to finish. So carried on but the time came when the parts that were made needed machined parts to check fits and things or silver soldering fall asleep with a blowtorch I might be mad but not insane. So a start was made on no 2 and it was still fun.                            Thats the why now we come to the what are the locos                                                                               No 1 LNER 4-6-0 SPRINGBOK                                                                                                               No 2 SOUTHEN 4-4-0 SCHOOL CLASS                                                                                           In the next post Iwill start work but as Iknow we have to have pics so heres one to tempt you all                                                                                   

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:17:33 AM »
Gary, so is the sleep disorder cured now or at least under control? Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Bill

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 08:36:45 PM »
I got sleep apnoe (sp ?) and I got treatment - I sleep with a mask that makes me sound like Darth Wader  ::)

But I can without hesitation say that it works. The system help me breathe when I sleep and this in turn helps me reach REM sleep - something I haven't entered the previous 30 years, before starting to sleep with it February last year - what a difference  :whoohoo:

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:51:59 PM »
Bill                                                                                                                                           Thanks for asking there isnt a cure but seem to be responding to treatment. More pics to follow when I have sorted some order off posting.                                                                   Admiral                                                                                                                                     Sounds very much like me the mask looks and sounds like something out off star wars. But got to agree it works Proper sleep at night=stay awake during the day May the force be with you.  Rgds                                                                                                                                         Gary 

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 06:14:51 AM »
I'll start with the set off frames that I made for Springbok right at the beginning there where choices to be made as to how much was going to be bought in. They could be Lazar cut, which would be fast but teach me nothing. Or I could make them my self, as I'm new to this hobby this would teach me the most. So 2 bits off bms steel where ordered bigger than needed,how to mark them out? that was to be my first lesson. In the end after reading how others had done it I bolted them together and filed 1 long edge how hard was that with little use off a file before. After quiet a while with files and straight edges i had achieved a flat edge that I could use as a datum. Next was a new skill marking out setting too I covered 1 side off the plates with lines marks in fact i was so exited with progress that by the end off a couple of sessions I was totally confused a more methodically approach was needed. In the end it was mark a point then tick off on the plan sorted. All that was left to do was cut them out and file to shape.Oh and drill them how hard could that be, easy if you've spent a lifetime do'ing it but for a beginer even getting a punchmark in the right place is hardwork. Anyway overtime they where brought screaming in to life.

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 07:26:23 AM »
Looks like pics off the rearpart have gone missing.Try again                                                             Rgds Gary                                                             

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 08:53:37 PM »
Going to have to delay the next thrilling instalment. Why I here you cry? my camera seems to have broke its self. WE all know a post is no good with out pics. so be back soon.                         Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »
Good morning. Its been much to long since I last posted but life just got in the way.
So theres a lot to catch up with its now a tale off 3 locos as I got a package off plans laser cut frames and castings for a price that was to good to miss. So I'll get my self orginiesd and resart the journey.
Rgds Gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »
Life has a way of doing that Gary. Will look forward to your picking up where you left off.

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 10:37:46 PM »
Yow !  three Locos !

It took me 3 1/2 years to build my 1/8th scale locomotive, and that was only ONE !   I can't imagine building three at one time.  Best of luck in this endeavor !
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
I'm having trouble posting what could be doing wrong

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
Its been a long time since i started this topic so i will start from the beginning again.
if you spot a easier way to do something please shout i'm just anovice. to start with we need main frames to hang everything off. So i took some 1/8 steel plate and sprayed them with primer (i now use proper marking out blue)then marked them out,hacksawed filed and drilled. Then did it all again that's 2 the third set where laser cut. the first problem i had was getting smooth curves my filing is not good enough on its own. so after much head scratching i came up with taking a can off the wright radius wraping wet and dry round to finish off.
Now to pics from left to right.
1 springbok
2 school's class
3 br class 84000
Can you tell which are laser cut?
Rgds Gary

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »
Gary, when telling it don't say " i came up with taking a can off the wright radius wraping wet and dry round to finish off." say I purchased a custom radius cylinder, wrapped it with wet and dry to finish it off.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 08:51:36 PM »
Gerald
I like your thinking sounds more proffesional and you get a cylinder for later. Come to think off it I could have used a wheel blank

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
As i had enough 1/8 steel plate left iwent on to make the bogie frames for Springbok and SchoolsClass . These are another hacksaw, filing and drilling job. I'm improving my skills with a file.
Rgds Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal