Author Topic: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS  (Read 24949 times)

Offline Gary Brooke

Re: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2018, 07:03:28 AM »
Wrong photo
Rgds GARY

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2018, 06:52:25 AM »
Carrying on with the horn blocks the second one was set up. The same edge was taken to size there seemed to be something wrong somewhere (photo1) I've  :censored: (insert your own swear word for mistakes). really need to work things out better the first 1 is cut to big have to try and save it somehow. Anyway after tea and ciggs back to it. Moved over to do the other flange making sure she was counting the turns.(photo 2) On the first pass the her handle was catching on the setup so took it off don't we just love the challenges? (photo 3) Then the top flange was done (photo 4) Still a long way to go but I just had to try it first one fits (photo 5)

Rgds Gary

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
On the first pass the her handle was catching on the setup so took it off don't we just love the challenges?

Had that happen just the other day and had a few  :censored: words myself.
I often keep one lever off as a reminder to check.
I've also had collisions between the vise handle and the Z knob. I'm getting in the habit of removing the vise handle whenever I use it.

:popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »
Hay Zee,
 Better to remove the handle than have it drop on your foot....... :censored: :censored: :facepalm: we need a dancing around on one foot emoji.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2018, 10:16:01 PM »
Commiserations on the whoops, Gary, but we all do these things and then kick ourselves... 
 What with DRO's and machine techniques widely used in model engineering now, I must admit that I get a bit lazy about marking out properly with the blue and the surface table and all the gear that goes with it.  But the old fashioned way is not such a bad idea really, it gives a belt and braces check against a slip up with noting turns of a dial index, or a little calculation that has gone a bit skew whiff!    Dave

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »
Thanks for looking in Zee, Steamer 5, and Dave.
A quick update the flanges on all 3 are complete with the rouge one waiting to be fixed. ( photo 1) They were then set up again and the top was brought to the thickness off the frames.(photo 2) Now I've a datum point they were flipped over and set up in the vice to take them to width.(photo 3) Stay tuned for the next thrilling adventure from the man cave.

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
The next step was to take them down to overall thickness (photo1). After this the slot which the axle boxes fit in was cut to size. (photo 2) She's got herself in a right mess don't think I can call her a new mill anymore. (photo 3) That's as far as I've got today.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2018, 07:11:54 AM »
Now I've got to split the pairs into 2 my first thought was to just do it with a cutter but I don't have one that small. Besides there's not a lot off spare allowance for machining. So I blued them up and marked halfway. (photo 1) Then with a junior hacksaw cut them being careful to keep the cut square we all know how hard it is to stop a hacksaw from wandering. (photo 2) Setting them up in pairs they were brought to size being carefull not to take too much off now I've got this far. (photo 3)  The family shot off where they stand at the moment you will note the :censored: :censored: in the middle that I haven't gone any further with my plan is to to try and solder a strip off bronze in before having to shell out for a new one.(photo 4)
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2018, 07:26:07 AM »
As the mill is full off gun metal swarf might as well do some more castings. So its logical to make the axle boxes that fit in the parts I've just done these start off as 3 lumps and I've got to get 6 out off them (photo 1) First job is to square them up so as there was no flat surface to work to I set about making one. They were set up in the mill vice on a couple off parrels and a skim was taken off to see how flat they were (photo 2) not very. This is going to take a while at this rate so did some looking on internet for information on feed rates and depth off cut. Came across some films on milling for starters buy Jason (well worth a look) thank you sir. So with nothing to lose I attacked them more (photo 3) and it worked hot knife through butter springs to mind. They are now square and to size well within .001" across the diagonals so they must be.(photo 4) Time for  :DrinkPint: :smokin2:

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2018, 06:20:42 AM »
There's not to show this time as I really need to get the horn block casting fixed. I've no material to do it but am not prepared to pay delivery on 1 piece off metal when its the same price for a good order. So I've spent the last couple of days going through the might come in use full box (better known as the scrap box)to see what I could use and squared up (photo 1) Still got some more to do then put in a order.

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
Still on with sorting through scrap box to use up what I can. Its a useful exercise as it gives me much needed practice in milling allowing me to experiment with feed rates and depth of cut.(photo 1)  After all its waste that can be spoilt at not a great cost with no loss. So this is nearly the last off the blanks I need for the tank engine stretchers.( photo 2) The family shot off all the blanks so far that's probably the rest off the years workshop time taken care off.(photo 3)

Rgds Gary

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
 :cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2018, 12:44:43 PM »
Still  :popcorn:.

That's a load of blanks!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
Pete and Zee thanks for looking in.
Still a few more blanks to do but thought i'd start to turn them into finished parts. Had a choice where to start so picked the easyist (i'm a coward) the brake stretcher. SO the blank was blued up and marked out (photo 1)and set up on the mill. Using a centre finder the ends off the first slot wasfound and the table looked down.(photo 2) Then with a slot drill started to take out the wastefirst thing i did was turn the handle wrong way. (photo 3) i made a reminder for dummys and stuck it where it could be seen (photo 4) It worked managed to cut the first slot with no more :censored: ups.(photo 5) Was aiming for a slot .625 think this is close enough (photo 6) then stepped over and cut the second slot thats the first stage complete. (photo 7)

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2018, 08:16:38 AM »
Made so more progress over the last few days I've finished the last off the blanks to make all .the tank engine stretchers I think.(photo 1) At times its been pretty close to get maximum use off the stock (photo 2).
Now i've got to make my mind up about a part i made and posted last time one off the slots is not quiet in the right place it will never be seen do i just leave it and let it bug me or remake?
Rgds Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal