Author Topic: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS  (Read 24910 times)

Offline Gary Brooke

Re: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »
just thought you might like to have a sneaky look at the castings i have for the BR Class 84000.
Pic no 1 & 2is off the cylinders, covers, and cylinder liners all in gun metal.
pic no 3 is off the horns, axle boxes and brake shoe ring some in gun metal and some in cast iron.
Pic no 4 is off the wheels in cast iron
Pic no5 is off the smoke and boiler bits
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 09:51:03 AM »
The next part i will need are the buffer beams and angles to tie the frames together. Ive only got pics off the springbok ones. talking off pictures a question how does one insert them between text so you don't have them all at the end its probably me been computer thick.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
I once read that there were a lot off locos that never got there tender built. So not wanting to fall into that trap I've made a start on Springboks tender the plan is to work them alongside the loco. i first bolted 2 lengths off steel together and filed one off the long sides straight as a datum all dimensions can be taken from this edge. I'm starting to get better at marking out but still check leaving and coming back later better to leave and come back fresh. then i cut as close to the line as I dare and chain drill the curves then its just a case off a lot off careful filing even though most off the dimensions aren't critical. Only the axle box slots need to be as close as possible square and parallel. Then it was just a case of drilling all the holes.
moving on I've also done the buffer beams and angles. I really struggled to get the angles square till i did discovered that you can fit angle in the 3 jaw chuck problem solved.
Rgds Gary

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »
I once read that there were a lot off locos that never got there tender built.

So should we than conclude that in order to build a complete loco, one will have to complete the tender first and then build the loco  :noidea: ..  ;)

The laser cut sides look nice - do you do those yourself ?

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 07:33:20 PM »
Admiral_dk
Thanks for looking in it dosent really mater in which order you build loco first or tender (Bit like chicken and egg ) as long asthey both get done.
The frames aren't laser cut but in the old way with hacksaw and file. the only laser cutting ive got is the frames for Br class 84000.
Rgds Gary

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 08:03:48 PM »
I was watching when you'd started this thread.
I'm happy to see you're back at it and I can continue watching.  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
Zee
Thank's for looking in your going to need a lot off popcorn to watch this thread i don't work very quick. hope you have a long and happy retirement.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »
Next up are the main stretchers so first off i made the plain one at 4.125"this one will serve as a gauge for all 3 locos.This was just machined to size in 4 jaw chuck there was quiet a overhang so small cuts where taken. The main stretcher should really be a casting but i made it from steel plate. First a bit off 1/4 flat was machined to size. The triangular holes don't need to be exact but i took it as a challenge to get them as close to the plan as possible. Bolting flanges were cut from 1/8 strip filed to shape then drilled and tapped 8BA to hold it all together ready for silver soldering. As I've never done any soldering ill probably lose a few bits in the learning process.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:29 PM »
We still need more stretchers for springbok. The first 2 are the same so can be made as a matched pair. both off the 2 slots had to be drilled out and filed to shape oh for a mill but that comes later in the tale. Then flanges where made as on the main stretcher. Next up is the one that the brake steam cylinder is mounted to this is just a flat plate with 2 lugs for cylinder and flanges all drilled and tapped 8 BA
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
Moving on to the last stretcher for springbok is the bogie stretcher. Started off with 1/4" plate was cut and filed to size and a chamfer put on all 4 sides. A hole was drilled for the bogie pin. On to first proper lathe a piece off1/2 bar was faced of and a light clean up cut taken of the dia then 1/4" was turned down to a tight fit in the hole just drilled. flipped round and as i don't have a parting tool yet hacksawed it to length, faced it off and put a thread on it. The pin was then pushed into the plate and a bolt put into the joint so there was no chance of it coming out. Just had to drill and tap 2 lengths off angle and screw them to the plate.All the heads were then filled off flush.
That's the first mile stone done first sub assembly done.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
Next up are the main horns you can get them as castings but once again i chose to fabricate them. To start 6 bits off 1/8 plate where clamped together ready for cutting out. They were cut out filed to shape and drilled. I used fileing buttons  to get  the shape off the curves on the top corners. 2 off them were separated and one corner was removed so they would clear the firebox. various bits off strip where made up into flanges.
Rgds Gary

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »
 :popcorn: Still here.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »
Zee
Thanks for looking in
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
Moving on we come to the motion plates they are handed one left one right. Guess what ? first attempt i ended up with two right ones. Starting again 2 bits off 1/4 plate were cut to shape and filed up then the difference witch is the angle for the small plates (yet to be made) Got it right this time. then just need some 7/16 angle but had to use 1/2 which is all I had not a big job to take them down on the lathe. 2 had a chamfer put on remembering this time to make them handed they were drilled for 1/8 rivets another new skill to learn.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
The link brackets are a fun little project.Once again they are handed so best keep track off them. Starting off with some 1/4" plate they were brought to sieze on the lathe 2 big and 2 little. The 2 big ones have a angled notch which i cut with a hacksaw and files. 2 small ones have a square hole running through the middle first i drilled right through then I'm stuck haven't worked out how to square it up so have left it till i get devine inspiration. Next i need some 1/8" strip to make the rest 2pieces shaped and drilled to bolt to the frames and 4 shaped to hold the expansion links these are a nice little filing job.
Rgds Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal