Author Topic: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS  (Read 24941 times)

Offline Gary Brooke

Re: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 08:45:10 PM »
Next up is the outside motion bracket's these again are done as casting's but I did them as fabrications. The base is a T shape with curves on the sides and a slot underneath. I said when I covered the inside motion that i'd show how I cut the slot without a mill. First off I made a plate to fit the tool post (photo 1) then the bottom plate was set on this and with a milling cutter in the chuck the slot was cut using very light cuts (photo 2). The top and end were just fileing jobs out off 1/8" steel plate all in (photo 3) You will note there are no middles these turned out c*** So are in the come in useful one day box.

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2018, 09:56:04 AM »
This post brings us more or less up to date. There are just a few angles to show these were machined square on the lathe and drilled. (photo 1) Then there is how all the parts are being stored. (photos 2&3)
Rgds Gary

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
The family shot show that you got quite a number of parts made already  :ThumbsUp:

Then considering the amount still needed for two (or tre) Locos we are in for a long saga  :cheers:  :popcorn:

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2018, 08:56:59 AM »
Thanks for looking in Admiral dk yes it will be a long haul ive hardly scratched the surface off the parts needed.
Yesterday I started to assemble the frames for springbok these will eventually be riveted but as they will have to come apart again they are just bolted.(photos 1,2&3) Then I took the bull by the horns and ordered a mill.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
Carrying on with the build up I've now got springbok tender frame assembled. Its quiet pleasing how well they are fitting together (touch wood) all the holes are lineing up without having to ease them. (photo 1&2) Then main frames and tender together rather large will need a way to move them later. (photo 3&4)

Rgds Gary

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
I'm still following along.  :popcorn:

The frames look great.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
Thanks for looking in Zee.
Well the learning curve has just gone up to the next level. Brand new mill I can do some real damage now. What shall I make first decided to start simple and square up the front buffer beam for my tank engine. (photo 1) That was fun and a lot quicker than with a file.

Rgds Gary

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2018, 12:50:26 PM »
Hope that you enjoy your new milling machine Gary, it should be a huge help in speeding up the builds and assisting accuracy.  After the impressive amount of work that you have shown forum members, all done the hard way with simple tools and much physical effort, I'm sure that no one deserves the mill upgrade more than you do!   Dave

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2018, 07:29:51 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments Dave.
Next project on the mill is going to be springbok's bogie horns these come out off 1/2" x 3/4" stock. This was set up in the vice on a couple parrells (its nice to have the propper tools). they are sort off a L shape with webs so astop cut was made on one end. (photo 1) After mounting them in pairs i took them down to where the web's start (photo 2) In (photo 3) you can see where i've got to. The eagle eyed might spot there are only 7 instead of 8 one had to go in the might come in useful box. As i've no more metal that sieze i'm leaveing them at that stage for now.

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2018, 09:41:25 AM »
As the mill vice was set up I thought I'd get some more practice and make a start on some axle boxes. These are going to be different than normal practice in that they will have a centre and 2 sides where as there normaly one lump with slots milled in the sides. First I squared some blocks for the centres (photo 1) then I squared up one end off some 1/8 flat strip (photo 2) Taking 2 off them they were set up using the middle to make they were equal and brought to length. (photo 3) I just had to get trusty file to nock the burs off or it would feel neglected (photo 4). Last is how they stand at the moment (photo 5) 6 down another 34to go.

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
There's not been a lot off progress in the last few days been much to hot in the shed. What I have got done is try and get to grips with the new mill. So with that in mind i've  been squaring up steel for the Tank Engine stretchers. Had some joy with this and also fed the might come in useful box. Its so easy to take too much off when your used to getting to a line with a file. But its all part off learning and Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm having fun. So just a photo off what I've got done

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 09:25:20 AM »
Yesterday's progress was to start on the tank engine pony truck pivots the top off these is just a strip off 1/8" x 3/4" mild steel. This was cut to length to length and squared upon the mill same with the sides. There are 2 webs then in the centre these where cut roughley to length and set up in the mill and brought just over size (photo 1). Then they were flipped on to there long edge and brought to thickness leaving a radius on the end. (photo 2) The last photo is a group shot off the days work.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 08:31:08 AM »
Need a change from frames and stretchers. So as I've a cupboard full off castings for the tank engine I am going to adventure in to casting machining. Now this is the first time that I've tried this so if there's  a better way just shout please. As I'll need the horn blocks first that seems a logical place to start so (photo 1) is the rough casting they come as a pair. When they were put on the mill table they rocked around too much so I sat out in the sunshine seemed rude not to as we don't get much off that in Yorkshire. the trusty file was used to flatten the face just enough so they would sit level.(photo 2) Clamping them up on the table with a sheet off paper underneath to help the grip I've seen that tip before somewhere. (photo 3) Using the best edge I clocked it in that was fun but I got it as near as makes no difference. ( photo 4) touched off with a fag paper no high tech here.(photo 5)  A skim was taken off the top with a brand new cutter first cut on a casting and I I didnt break anything that's a result or luck.(photo 6) Got brave then and took the first flange to size keeping note off all readings best not to push my luck so that's as far as I've got pleased with the finish the casting gives. (photo 7)

Rgds Gary

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 01:27:18 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

How are you liking the mill? What kind is it?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2018, 07:00:27 AM »
Thanks for looking in Zee in answer to your question its a WM-16 it seem to be a well made machine and can remove metal a lot faster than I can with a file. Next challenge is to teach it to remove it in the right place it seems to have a mind off its own. I'll show what she got upto later.

Rgds Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal