Author Topic: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS  (Read 24896 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 04:28:28 PM »
Gary,
I've been quietly following along.
You're parts look great!  I can't believe you're doing it with a hack saw and file!
Kim

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »
Thanks for looking in Kim.
Yes most off the parts have been made with a hacksaw and files with a bit off lathe work. Theres something about fileing away to some good music with apot off tea.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 05:57:34 PM »
In keeping with working on the tenders well take a look at the stretchers for springbok. These are straight forward parts 2 strips of1/8 steel where cut to length 1 wide one and a narrow one. Holding them in the 4 jaw to machine to length light cuts had to be taken because off the over hang. After which they were set up in the drill and drilled and tapped 8BA.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »
We have almost got as far I've reached with springbok then well bring the other 2 up to date. So lets look at the brake system there's a stand which goes in the cab. this is 1/8" plate cut to clear the rear wheel and drilled. If you look closely you can see one off the holes is a bit close to the edge. I might have to remake it as altering the frame is not a option. then there are 6 brake beams 3 for the loco and 3 for the tender. These are nothing special just Some 1/2" x 1/8" steel strip cut and filed to  shape. The only difficulty was getting all 4 tappers the same. In the end i just filed 1 up and traced it on paper then used this to gauge when the rest where correct.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 11:01:14 AM »
That's about as far as I've reached with springbok so lets move on to the schools class. First up is the bogie centre which could be a casting but i elected to fabricate it. Once again it starts life as 1/8" steel plate I must have shares in this stuff. There is a large piece that all the rest fixes too with some tricky curves and a large slot for the beam and springs to go in. Then there are 2 side plates with lots off rivet holes these I drilled from the bogie frames so they matched up. All this was done with my trusty hacksaw and files really need to get a new blade.
Rgds Gary

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 08:37:59 PM »
That is a lot of work when done with hand tools only - but you do get a nice result  :ThumbsUp:

I myself is much to lazy to do it this way (I learned how to, but...)  ::)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018, 09:35:34 PM »
I've mentioned before on other threads I am a great fan of hand tools and will always choose that method over milling, etc.
You say you are new to the craft but from where I'm sitting you appear to be doing an expert job. Following with interest :popcorn:
Regards              Terry

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2018, 12:53:05 PM »
Admiral and Terry thanks for looking in.
The use off hand tools is my way to learn this great hobby. I can set a part in the viceand if i've a spare 5 min's do a bit.This way it doesnt seem to take that long.when I progress a mill and lathe will come in handy.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
Just a couple off lit bits this time. The school class have strengthening plates on the main frames to support the 3cylinders. these are made from bits off1/16" plate and profiled to fit the frames. They then had lots off holes drilled for 1/16" rivets these were then spotted through on to the main frames. It may look as though the drill has wandered but the layout off the holes is what is on the plans.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »
There are 3 lower stretchers for the Schools class 2 off them are just straight parts from guess what 1/8" steel strip cut and filed to length. The third one is larger so that there is room for clearance for the con rod (photo 1) they were all drilled for bolts. Then there are 2 stretchers for the bogie these have slots at each end for angles to sit in (photo 2)after a visit to York railway museum i found out that these were a different shape to the plans so these will be remade at some time.
Rgds Gary 

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »
On to the main stretcher which is really 3 together. The first is a flat plate with most off the middle cut away to clear the inside motion plate. This is the second attempt after the first one distorted trying to bash it back into shape was not successful. A new piece off 1/8" steel was put in the oven to cook with the sunday dinner and was successful. After chain drilling and filing it was still flat (photo 1).
The second part is just a flat plate 1/8" thick plate squared up and drilled for fixings (photo 20).
The last one could be a casting but i chose to fabricate in my usual fashion. It starts with a strip with 3 holes along the middle then there is a box made off 1/8" thick metal for it to sit in these will all be assembled at a later date (photo 3).
Ive laid them out how they go to give the idea how it works.(photo 4)
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »
Today I thought Ide show the parts for the inside motion bracket. Once again it should be a casting but as I've got a lot off offcuts I might as well make it up. From yes you've guessed 1/8" steel. It starts with the base which is a cross with curved junctions filled and sanded to shape using a socket to get a equal shape. then there is a slot running down one arm off the cross. As I don't have off how the slot was cut I'll show that when doing the outside brackets. (photo 1)
The middle is a flat plate with 3 different seized holes these will have a bead round them when I find the right material to make them from. The top is a strip with the middle thinned down nothing difficult there.2 sides are needed they are like a upside down L with bolt holes drilled. Last we need 2 gussets for strength these were filled up from a couple off spare bits. (photo 2)
The last (photo 3) shows how they all fit together.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2018, 07:44:40 AM »
Just remembered that there are round stretchers on Springbok that I haven't shown yet. These are lengths off EN1A faced of (photo 1) and a cleaning pass taken on the dia. (photo 2) They were then drilled and tapped (photo's 3 & 4).The tender stretcher has a shoulder at each end which I struggled with till I worked out why there are left and right hand tools. (photos 5 &6) A family shot off them.(photo 7)
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »
Right back to Schools class next up are the cab floor braces these are shaped from what else 1/8" steel shaped and drilled (photo 1). Moving on there are a couple of braces that stop the end off the buffer beam from bending shaped and with a curve to clear the angles that fix the buffer beam (photo 2). Then I thought id show my oops box or maybe come in useful one day (photo 3).

Rgds Gary

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 07:23:49 PM »
I've a box just like that :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal