Author Topic: New book from Industrial Press  (Read 3969 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
New book from Industrial Press
« on: June 30, 2015, 01:44:32 AM »
Just received this notice today from Industrial Press (the Machinery's Handbook publisher). I haven't see the book yet but thought it might be of interest to some here.

The link is: http://new.industrialpress.com/machine-shop-hobbyist.html

Bill

Offline philjoe5

Re: New book from Industrial Press
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »
Thanks Bill :ThumbsUp:.  Just ordered my copy.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »
Thank you for the link, I will get a copy. I have enjoyed his two 'fullsize' workshop books.
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
Just ordered a copy from Amazon....$26.86 plus free shipping. Will give me something to read while at the beach in a couple of weeks.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 12:28:17 AM »
My copy arrived Thursday afternoon and I have now had a chance to look over it and make a few comments. Overall the book is well done, lots of pictures or in some cases drawn illustrations. It reminds me a lot of the text I used for teaching my machine shop class though it doesn't go as deep on some topics. Overall I would say it is a good primer for anyone just getting into home shop machining, but for those with some experience, most of the information is available elsewhere and likely in much greater detail. Even so it will make a nice addition to the bookshelf and while I may not use it as a go to reference work, I would have to say it is worth the $27.00 I paid for it. In particular the section on measurement tools is nicely done with lots of good pictures from L.S. Starrett Co. (sorry Stan, no mini-mic though). The other section I found well done was a pretty thorough discussion on cutting tool (especially lathe tool) geometry along with some good illustrations.

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »
Not available here until the 15th, but I have pre ordered a copy.
Best regards

Roger

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 11:47:41 PM »
I agree with Bill, a reasonably good intro book.  I haven't read it carefully but I did note one safety violation (in my opinion) in a photo and will see if anyone else can spot it.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal