Author Topic: What does it do? A concept.  (Read 16243 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: What does it do? A concept.
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
Thanks Cuz Cletus
I'm pretty sure that Sea Island cotton got much more popular when Ian Fleming had James Bond in the shirts.

I'll hold off on the flag until a consensus is reached. :ROFL:

Not going to do much sewing with the 30 second run times with my compressor. That sucker drains the tank very quickly. But, it sews infinitely better than the new "Singer" upstairs. So much better, that I ordered a motor and foot pedal for it last night.

Vern

Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2015, 11:52:32 PM »
Cuz, never was a big Bond fan, however, the shirts, with a light starch and a well pressed pair of Bill's khakis,  just make you feel like a sharp dressed man, like you've accomplished that extra little something  :lolb:. I'm kind of glad to know that it isn't just my engine that's an air hog. Mine will run on something like 8 psi, however,  it doesn't take long before my 60 gallon single stage with 150' of 3/4"  supply line kicks on. I thought I had something timed wrong or another problem  :shrug:. I'm anxious to see how yours runs on steam and if it's as hungry for it as it is for air. See ya,  Enco extended the 25% and free shipping, I got sh$t to buy :lolb: :lolb:..

Cuz

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2015, 01:47:25 AM »
Stan---I love it!!! Engines are so much more "meaningful" when the are actually powering something.--That sewing machine looks just like one my mom had when I was a kid. Her's had an ornate cast iron fame with foot treadle and a great big pulley wheel to drive the sewing machine. It seams to me (cough, cough) that her machine ran much faster than yours does under steam power, but it was long ago and my memory could be playing tricks. A really great job!!!---Brian

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2015, 02:13:05 AM »
Brian
My grandmother had a treadle machine with CI base.
A 12-15" pulley would speed this one up.
I really just wanted to see if i could do this. It should also be fun at shows.
Best,
Stan

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:13 AM »
Hi Stan,
 That's a beauty! Just showed R & she thought it was great as well, when I suggested that up grade her current machine to a down under version of yours.......well I guess I'll have more time to build my train! As to running it on steam, you might be surprised at how much of that lovely white fluffy stuff it uses, expansion of steam makes a big difference.

A friend of mine has the car attached to this....

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »
Kerrin
It may have been her vision of lace fabric and an oil can on the same table that did your idea in.
Now, on the other hand,  a White Steamer is a wonderful thing to have.
I'll do another video at the Rough and Tumble Museum when it's under steam. The boiler is taller than I am so I should have sufficient steam to get a start on Cletus' Sea Isle cotton shirt. :ROFL:
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal