Author Topic: What does it do? A concept.  (Read 16245 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
What does it do? A concept.
« on: June 11, 2015, 02:34:54 PM »
As you all know, while showing our engines, we often hear, "What does it do?" "Well, it goes round and round, up and down." This is generally accompanied by, "Oh, that's nice." Also accompanied by sad or puzzled looks."

While working on the 1/4 horse, I've been thinking about actually having it do some work. Since it's not a scaled-down engine but, a reasonably accurate, full-size version of the Strelinger vertical, it should be able to do something.

I've seen the usual: turning a corn or coffee grinder, running a fan, operating a scale model machine shop. At Cabin Fever, a hit and miss was running a small compressor which supplied pressure to run an air/steam engine.

Somewhere I read, (don't remember where) that many Strelinger 1/4 horse verticals were used to power sewing machines in garment factories. The foot treadle was removed and a pulley attached to connect a leather belt to the steam engine.  Steam powered line shafts were also used but, the "one engine for one machine" concept was an improvement in productivity as each operator could vary the machine speed as needed.

Steam-powered sewing machine designed by C T Judkin of Manchester in use at Holloway & Co 's clothing factory, Stroud, Gloucestershire.

As a side note, the White Sewing Machine Company introduced the White Steam Car in 1900 but never made a steam sewing machine.

Strangely, sewing machines had also been powered by dogs.

"Patents from the 19th century give us images of treadmills, carousels, and massive hamster wheels that enabled dogs to power sewing machines, mills, grindstones, lathes, butter churns, blacksmith's bellows, and water pumps. In England, a special breed of dog, the Turnspit Dog, was bred with a long body and short legs perfect for running a turnspit for roasting meat." Pay attention here, Cletus.

But, not wishing to incur the wrath of the SPCA, let's return to the steam-powered sewing machine.

After calling a friend who is retired after many years in the garment industry, I learned that the actual sewing machine is called the "head" and was mounted over the treadle base. Since the treadle wouldn't be used, I concentrated on the heads.

Now, I'm awaiting Ritchie to deliver this "correct to the period" head which was cheaper than a decent Center-cutting End Mill.

This will be the next project once the 1/4 horse is completed.

Now, all I have to do is convince Zee to use his spinning wheel to produce the hundreds of yards of thread I'll need.

Stay tuned.
Best,
Stan

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: What does it do? A concept.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
This is fascinating Stan.  Can't wait to see it all setup and working.  It will make quite a display at your next show.
Maybe you can make MEM T-shirts for everyone! :)
Kim

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »
Brilliant Stan, and true to the original Strelinger intent. If you'd wanted, you could have even justified using the kit-supplied hardware (slotted screws, etc.).

--Tim

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
After I built my first model steam engine, my Grandmother told me of an engine made by my Great grandfather.   He was a native Brit, but came here to the US around the turn of the last century.  He was a machinist.    While he was here building a nest egg to get the rest of the family over, he built a steam engine and boiler, and shipped it over to GB for a contest.  It won!

It came back, and ran my Great Grand mothers sewing machine for many years.   Then apparently, my Great Uncle sold it......but the picture you posted made me chuckle!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:13:07 PM »
Great story, Dave. Too bad it was sold.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 08:16:15 PM »
That was a nice find Stan at an incredible price!! Will certainly make for a bigger display than the Elmer's engines and even the RE, but at least people won't have to ask what the quarter hose does :)

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »
Space is an issue. Also, have to locate a 19th century seamstress.
I think I have just enough room in the car.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:00:19 AM »
Or a good excuse to get a bigger car :)

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »
Cheaper to rent a panel van.
Best,
Stan

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 12:24:00 AM »
Excellent topic Stan, I too pondered what I could drive with an engine I built many moons ago. I visit to a historic steam saw mill gave me the inspiration for the project. It does actually cut wood and amuses the children and adults at fairs where I display it.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 12:44:50 AM »
Absolutely beautiful! I'm sure it gets plenty of lookers.
What is the belt material?
Best,
Stan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 01:29:06 AM »
Seamstress??

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 01:30:39 AM »
That's the one! Should be a big hit at CF and NAMES
Best,
Stan

Offline vascon2196

• "a good craftsman never blames his tools"
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 02:15:06 AM »
You guys are hilarious.

Great job with the research Stan...when your sewing machine is operating, hopefully nobody will ask "what it does" at that point!
Chris from Southeastern Massachusetts

"a good craftsman never blames his tools"

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 02:25:23 AM »
Yup, she'd be a big hit for all the guys. Wives now I'm thinking not so much.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal