Author Topic: Several Reasons To Remove Jewelry  (Read 7538 times)

Offline Ken I

• Cape Town, South Africa
Several Reasons To Remove Jewelry
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »
I've noticed a couple of cautions mentioned when members have noticed rings etc. in photos.

In the early part of my career I wore a wedding ring and snagged it on an 8" chuck - cost me a sprained wrist and a bruised finger - could have been a lot worse but fortunately the chuck was almost stopped.
I also managed to burn myself by getting it too close to an active induction heating coil.
I haven't worn it since and SWMBO has to twist my arm to wear it on special occasions.

Not having learned my lesson I burned my wrist when I got my metal wristwatch strap too close to the same induction system and on another occasion I shorted out a battery at the ass end of a starter motor - a dull red wrist watch strap really hurts.

Its now second nature to remove my watch before doing any work - right now I removed it before using the keyboard - not that the keyboard is going to bite me but its just now deeply ingrained to remove it before doing anything.

Take care.

Ken
Never look up at the mountain - just keep digging !

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Several Reasons To Remove Jewelry
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
Also, don't wear rings while doing anything involving the lifting, by man or machine, of heavy objects.  I know of at least one instance where something slipped, snagged a ring, and did some serious damage to the finger.

I've read of more than one outdoor worker, often farmers, who steadied themselves on some portion of a vehicle as they readied to jump down.  On jumping, the ring caught on the vehicle with the inevitable result.

Gloves provide some protection in the cases I've mentioned but it's all too easy to remove the gloves to do some fine adjustment.  Play it safe and leave the jewelry at home.

Only vaguely related but I've often wondered how those folks with faces that look as if they fell face first into a fishing tackle box fare when they do any work.  Perhaps their secret is to never do any work?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
OK .....I got the hint the first time....... ;D   I'll take the ring off.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »
I stopped wearing a watch anyway many years ago.
If I needed the time, there was always a clock nearby.
If there wasn't a clock...I probably didn't need accurate time.
Would have been replaced by the phone anyway.

No issue with a ring. Daughter threw it out in the trash many years ago.
Sounds bad...but it was my fault. It was a 4 year old who was fascinated by my ring and trash cans at the same time. By the time I had realized...

All in all it's saved me a lot of time having to take them off and put them on when I was in electronics.

No issue from my wife. She knows I'm a wimp when it comes to women and wouldn't get upset if someone  showed any interest. It's never happened.  I just look too....married.

And happily so.

Yeah...she's right behind me.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:06:01 AM »
I don't wear my wedding ring anymore, for many reasons, but I got hit on more when I wore it than when I didn't. Go figure!
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 07:41:58 AM »
There is a reason you're instructed not to wear rings.

This guy knows why ........ Now!

He Only touched a 48 Volt battery buss bar - melted a sizable chunk of metal out of the ring.   

Poor guy wouldn't have known which end to dress first, injured thumb or ....... :censored:   "my goodness", that was a loud and sudden flash  :zap: 

Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
Sorry to see that Bez!   Hope its on the mend!

Be careful out there guys!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »
I hope so too Dave,

Fortunately for me, its not my thumb,
I managed to learn that lesson as an apprentice.
Working with 10KV DC supplies - no second chances with those guys.

Been married 28 years now, never worn a ring while working.  I'm lucky my Bride understands.
 :D

Bez
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
I had my lesson at the age of 19 with my high school ring and a welding machine. I haven't  worn a ring or watch in 45 years. My wife understands why. One day I was working in a switchboard and a drop of sweat drop across a terminal strip which had 480VAC on it, all I heard was whoof!! The terminal strip blew up. Another reason not to wear a watch or ring.

Don

Offline mechman48

• Retired maint.Eng.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »
Had a similar experience many moons ago when I my early 20's, rolling a crane drive wheel along the floor of the workshop when it tilted then fell over, snagging my ring in the process, end result..  trip to hospital to have ring cut off, close thing any deeper & my finger would have parted from my hand   :embarrassed: moral learned .. have never worn jewellery /watch at work around machinery.. neither at home when in workshop now.

George
George.

Offline GordonL

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »
In my regular working life I did a lot of welding. A year or so after I got married I looked at my ring and it had weld spatter on it. My dad was wearing  his one time and his hand was on the work piece when he accidentally hit the ring with the welding rod. He wore it only for dress up occasions after that. My wedding ring looks like new after 51 years except for the pits due to weld spatter. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal