Author Topic: No Smelly Cutting Oil  (Read 6613 times)

Offline philjoe5

No Smelly Cutting Oil
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
My wife was having friends over for a game of cards.  I wanted to turn some 1144 alloy steel and aluminum parts.  What to do?  If I used my high sulfur cutting oil, the smell would drift upstairs and I would be in big trouble.  Normally I'd open the basement door and use a fan to ventilate but it was raining too hard to do that.

So I had this idea that coconut oil, which seems to really stick to my fingers when I'm cooking with it, might work.  It's a solid at 65 F, so I added a bit of 10 wt non-detergent oil to dissolve it.  It seems to work quite well.  I'm getting nice chips, a good finish and the tool seems to keep its edge like it did with the old stuff.

Now I'm craving coconut shrimp for supper. :lolb:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: No Smelly Cutting Oil
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 11:54:06 PM »
Now I'm craving coconut shrimp for supper. :lolb:

Oh thanks so much. I'm already hungry. Coconut shrimp...wonderful!!!  :whoohoo:

But the idea of "no smelly cutting oil'? Does that exist? Who would want it?
For me, part of the experience IS the smell.

I love the smell of the shop. So many memories.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 12:48:46 AM »
I love the smell of the shop. So many memories.

I'm with you Zee.  I also like the smell of diesel fuel, gasoline and hot motor oil.  However, SWMBO doesn't share those olfactory delights.  So instead of "What's stinking up the house" now I'm getting "Are we having coconut shrimp again for supper?".  No worries, when I'm home alone it's back to

http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-30203-Cutting-Threading-16-Ounce/dp/B0013RVDG4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1433547980&sr=8-6&keywords=cutting+fluid

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 02:27:29 AM »
Maybe if you used lard the next time you would be craving bacon :Lol:

Eric

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 02:34:39 AM »
Maybe if you used lard the next time you would be craving bacon :Lol:

Eric

Just decide what you would like for dinner and turn a bit of scrap aluminium with the right lubricant. So far we have coconut oil for the shrimp (or prawns if you are over here) and lard for bacon. Any other suggestions for the menu?

Jim

Offline bp

• Adelaide, SA
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 02:35:49 AM »
A friend of mine used to run a business making dental implants from Titanium, these things are tiny, with VERY close tolerances.  He used coconut oil as a cutting oil.  It was kept warm and runny in a tempered glass dish on a cup warmer!
cheers
Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 03:38:46 AM »
All this talk about shrimp, prawn, might I add scallops is making me hungry. For all the uses for coconut oil I've heard this is a new one. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
Let's not forget gun shop perfume - Hoppe's No. 9.  I've been known to put a few drops on a rag just to give the Garaj Mahal that certain je ne sais quoi.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »
During WW II, when the Japanese were virtually out of oil, the factories did use coconut oil for machining.
The also developed a faux-lubricant from pine tree roots but the output was very low.
Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 06:52:10 PM »
Marv, you are correct. Hopps #9, a hand rolled cigar, and the top note from a good single barrel whisky, is hard to beat and if you add the smoke from a mesquite fire , why that's heaven

Eric

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 07:57:29 PM »
hi well a tip for you all this ant my brine wave its a tip shown to me by one of the old chaps at work candle wax or more persific sos for spelling tallow candle as its bade of animal fat  good for taping to I have tried not a candle but the remains of watt the wife uses scented candle wax its a lump of wax impregnated with a fragrance you put it in a holder then you put a candle under it once lit the wax melts and releases the fragrant smell so I got the remains of them melted them dawn and made a stick of wax tis brill on copper and aluminium and as it was once stented it haze a pleasant smell   as its a wax once cool it just comes off

Offline bob in nebraska

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 09:56:51 PM »
Anchor lube works great for both aluminum and steel, has no odor, and is "food grade".  Olive oil works well on steel, and 95% islopropyl alchohol for aluminum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal