Author Topic: File(r) 13  (Read 31749 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
File(r) 13
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:37:48 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: the Close Enuf Machine Shop, Springbucket, Tn. location is once again open for business. I know a lot of my loyal fans and even Marv have been missing my builds, which exhibit hap hazard machining and wonderful Southern commentary. Now that the Cyclone project is in the Showcase, I dug into my stash of castings, pay attention Jo. Cabin Fever before last, our own honorable Professor Bill Lindsey, was nice enough to take my AMEX card and buy everything a man could want to build the 1/4 scale Red Wing, however, after such a layoff, and at my skill level, I'm kinda scared of jumping on this straight away. In my stash of castings I found the PMR drill press set,  the PMR vertical boiler, something from a nice chap in Idaho marked Wall or Wahl twin cylinder, and a set of Gary Martin's die filer castings. So, me following the old Don1966 strategy, decided to start with a tool that will come in handy on any of the afore mentioned. Now, I am not starting a new build without a piccy, so, here is what I'm starting with. May take me a while to get up to speed, but, I'll do my best to make y'all enjoy it. Tell everybody hey,

Cletus

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: File(r) 13
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:46:51 PM »
Castings  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »
Oh its a tool build :( Well at least you will have some nicely manicured nails at the end of it or is it not that sort of file? ;)

J

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »
A die filer makes a great addition to the shop.  I'm along for the ride :popcorn:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
Yee-Haw...welcome back Cletus. Looking forward to the build. As for the AmEx card...my pleasure...happy to do it...anytime  :lolb:

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:54:35 PM »
Love my die filer; I just wish I had time to do a Cyclone class rebuild on it. It's dirty and leaks oil, but it sure is handy when you need it.
Have you found any files yet? Gary Martin used to have a small selection and Victor Machinery also may still have some. They are scary expensive when they show up on eBay.

OK lets get going!

Dave

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »
How are files held in a filer?  Something like a collet chuck would be my guess??

Would it be possible to grind a new "tang" on a conventional file and use it in the filer?

On the miniature filer I built

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,1800.msg26667.html#msg26667

I cheated and mounted diamond jeweler files; they cut in either direction so no problem.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:30:17 PM »
If you want to consider using diamond files, this cylindrical sharpener...

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-DRET-Diamond-Retractable-Sharpener/dp/B001910FOA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1432157166&sr=8-6&keywords=diamond+knife+sharpener

might work although the grit is very fine. [It does a fantastic job of sharpening scallop-edge knives, too.]

Also, chain saw sharpening files are cylindrical.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:37:43 PM »
Marv,
My Butterfly die filler has a two jaw chuck to grab the file and yes I have ground files to fit the chuck but it is not the tang end you need to grind it is the other end because die filers cut on the down stroke. Chain saw files were mentioned but piller files are good also.

The thing I really like to use my die filer for is using the saw arm attachment so a normal hacksaw can be used. I use my Cowells vertical slide bolted to the table so I can move an adjustable fence and make thin sections of sheet metal.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »
I got a set of files (parallel machine files, type B) from Artco:

http://www.artcotools.com/parallel-machine-file-type-b.html

As does the aforementioned Victor Machinery, they give a "supplies are limited" disclaimer.

--TIm

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
but it is not the tang end you need to grind it is the other end because die filers cut on the down stroke.

Having built one, Dan, I know that.  The "new tang" I mentioned would be ground on the end opposite the old tang.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 11:00:16 PM »
Marv,
Yes I figured that you knew that. Your phrasing was a bit confusing to someone who did not know that so I started typing. I did raise my hand but no one noticed.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:27 PM »
Cletus,
When you are close to finished, PM me.  I have about 20 files I inherited with my ancient Oliver and I'll gladly mail a few to you NC.  My actuary tells me I'd need to live to be 200 years old to use all of them. :old:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 11:07:19 PM »
Hey Dog your going to love it. I love my die filer and it will be one you made. Hot dog I pulling up a chair and getting the beer and popcorn............  :stickpoke:

:DrinkPint: :popcorn:
Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 12:54:07 AM »
Thanks for the welcome back to the real machining world  :facepalm: I have some files I bought from Gary when I bought the castings, but,  Phil, a man can never have too many tools or tooling.  As I said,  I'm going to work myself slowly back to my normal turtle's pace. I plan on starting by doing the Dave Otto pretty grind and sandblast. The plans leave plenty of room to use whatever you have to make it work  :ThumbsUp:. I am kind of wondering how to drive the old boy if and when I am successful in it's build. If y'all could give me some input on a power source,  I'd be a thanking you.  Marv, to be honest, I really haven't looked at how the files are held. I was wondering how I was supposed to make a useful machine out of just 4 castings. Jason, funny thing about the BBQ pork business, don't know what it is, but, my nails grow at an alarming rate and are as hard as a mason's hammer,  only started when I started in the Q business,  must be something in the pig grease  8).
Bill, you, Lou, and DOG, can use my card anytime,  anything you bought, I'd enjoy,  the other two I know not to argue with  :lolb:..Y'all standby for all the news that is the news right here in Corncob County and tell everybody we said hey . Oh boy, cast iron dust in the shower, can't wait  :popcorn: :cheers: :DrinkPint: :lolb:

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal