Author Topic: File(r) 13  (Read 31715 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Re: File(r) 13
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
Question for Cletus: Did the filer come with files, or are you going to have to make your own? I understand they're hard to find nowadays.

Chuck

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2015, 04:13:20 PM »
Chuck
Both Oliver and Victornet have them. IIRC, Gary Martin also.
For rounds, chainsaw files work in the correct direction. I've also cut the tang off regular files and ground a flat at the opposite end for Oliver's clamp.
Best,
Stan

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »
Thanks, Stan. This thread has me itching to build a filer.

Chuck

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2015, 12:30:04 AM »
Mosey, yeah and I'm going to pay you back that $20 I owe you  :lolb: :lolb:  you are just trying to get out of buying the steak  :lolb:  Chuck, I did buy some files from Gary when I bought the casting kit at Cabin Fever.   See y'all

Cletus

« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »
Surprise, surprise, y'all just thought I was grinding to a halt :lolb: :lolb:. Well here is a couple of updated pics of the die filer. It has really turned out nice and turns super smooth. I still have to make the brass guard and a little painting along with a base. I ground the table and that turned out really nice. In fact, it turned out so nice that I have decided to give this one to my brother-in-law for Christmas, might not get that lucky the second time :facepalm2:. Don, I can't get the link to that motor you gave me back earlier in the thread to open, can you give me some more ideas. Now, Mosey, yo, Mosey; be sure and check out the bushing :lolb: :lolb: medium on the steak there old buddy will be fine :lolb: :lolb:. Thanks for looking in.

Cletus

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
You say the table looks good. No pictures????
Best,
Stan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »
But the worm's eye view looks pretty nice!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2015, 09:31:05 PM »
She sure is pretty, but could you give us a picture of the table since you did such a fine job on it. You done good my brother and a fine job of it. I really don't know which link you are referring to. Do you want a VFD with it or just a single phase motor. This link to single phase .25 HP should be big enough. http://dealerselectric.com/GA301.asp
Now if your going to give it to brother in law you might consider this http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=2&scID=50&PID=24067

Big Dog

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »
Most excellent result Cletus, but yeah...we need to see that nice ground table. I am glad you went for the bronze bushing too, now you won't wave to worry about it. You can be right proud of it and your brother in law should be thrilled too!!

Bill

« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2015, 11:23:42 PM »
Boy, y'all just don't let up on the old cowboy do you? :lolb: :lolb:. I thought I took one showing the table top,  but,  nooooo. I'll get one in the morning before anyone on this side of the pond has coffee and in time for brunch for the rest of the folks.  I had two beautiful granddaughters that wanted watermelon and homemade banana ice cream.  Now who could say no to that? Bill, I took a little extra time on the bronze bushing when I made it. It's been drilled,  bored,  reamed,  and lapped to a tight. 001" clearance on the shaft. Since I have added the oil port and added a little light machine oil,  it spins very smoothly. Don, I'm thinking something more on the line of a motor used for a watchmaker's lathe or something along those lines  :shrug:. It ain't that big of a fellow  :Jester:. See y'all at he diner 8)

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2015, 04:53:38 AM »
I am assuming you want a motor for your watch makers lathe. This is the motor I used on my lathe, but I also have a speed control on mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dayton-Universal-AC-DC-Open-Motor-1-15-hp-5000-RPM-115V-Rotation-CCW-Model-2M033-/150990379174?hash=item2327ba58a6 The motor is universal meaning it can run on AC or DC. There are others on eBay which run faster.

Don

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »
Elvis,
You did a very fine job ob this, hat's off to you.
We know the real reason you haven't paid me the $20.00 you owe is because I don't take those Conferderate "New Dollars". Real, legal US tender would be jes fine.
I'm happy for you, Bud.
Your pal,
Mosey up here in New Jersey
I still want to see the motor mount and the table top. My table top is just as it comes from the mill with honest tool marks on it. I might be inspired to finish it this Fall when it's too windy to fly.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »
Don, did you notice something about the motor?  It says AC/DC, then goes on to say that the motor will not run on DC.  Handy little motor all the same.  Had one similar (230V) on my little Super Adept Lathe, until I got a 180W one.
Ian S C

« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
Well, it was raining this morning and DOG and I slept in. Here are the pics of the table top as promised, and no Vern, those aren't magnets, I think you can read what they are even in my crappy photos. Gotta work on that :old:.  The table did get a light lapping on some 800 W&D with some WD :lolb:. No Don, actually I meant about that size motor for the die filer. I looked this morning at the Sherline motors that come with speed controller and pulley. That's kind of in the size I'm looking for. Sherline has it for $230, little pricey, but, it's a Christmas prize ;) Y'all come back now ya hear :cheers:

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2015, 05:05:09 PM »
Very slick Cletus, almost too Purdy to use :). So if you and DOG slept in this morning, who is cooking the BBQ??

Leroy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal