Author Topic: Oscillating I.C. Engine  (Read 63822 times)

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
Re: Oscillating I.C. Engine
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2015, 12:49:31 AM »
Brian, just to follow along with Tennessee's thoughts, I have access to several full size hit and miss engines and, while running one a couple of days ago, I made the following observations.
They all have two flywheels, so a very large rotating mass.
Using the term "throttle response" which is wrong for these engines I know, but everyone understands what I mean, the engine I was running could not even be described as "sluggish". I held the governor off and casually counted to ten. A rough estimate would put the increase in speed at somewhere between 50 and 100rpm in an engine which was running at 300rpm. This is of course a product of rotational mass and cylinder torque.
However, killing the ignition and allowing the engine to coast to a stop, took about 1 minute. This is purely rotational mass at work along with friction and pumping losses.
The other aspect of operation surrounded the governor which is very sensitive. Whilst running normally, there was almost no discernable change in rpm between hitting and missing, although the governor was obviously doing it's job. This engine would typically fire once and spin maybe 6 revolutions on miss.
So to sum up, I wonder if perhaps you know how big a speed variation your engine requires in order for the governor to do its thing? Is there any friction in the governor mechanism?
One final thought. Do our model engines actually produce too much torque per firing stroke and should we try to make them a bit more "sluggish"?
Just my two cents worth.
Ian.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #271 on: August 26, 2015, 03:50:57 PM »
One final video before I leave this thread behind. I added an anti-backflow valve into the fuel line and shaved away close to 50% of the original flywheel rim thickness to get to the state you see in this final video. ----Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSHanHaSRU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSHanHaSRU</a>

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: August 26, 2015, 09:10:48 PM »
What a success Brian, running superbly in hit & miss mode. I just thought of another parameter that would help towards slow running. Not tuneable but having a longer stroke would help. For a start the piston would have to travel further so it would be slower, the CC would be increased as well as the torque on the crank so it would give more shove on each hit. This would mean a heavier flywheel could be utilised again slowing the thing down but giving more inertia for those misses. May be something to bare in mind for future projects.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #273 on: August 27, 2015, 10:08:03 PM »
Thought for the day---Imagine a rock, tied to a 10 foot length of string. Hold one end of the string in your hand, and swing the rock around in a horizontal plane. Once you get it going, you can swing that rock pretty darn slowly, and it will keep the sting tight and maintain it's position. Change up to a five foot length of string. You can still keep the rock swinging, but you are going to have to swing it faster to maintain a tight string and keep the string horizontal. Probably not twice as fast, but definitely faster. Now change up to a 1 foot length of string. It becomes impossible to swing the rock fast enough to keep the string tight and horizontal. Whatever forces are at play here, are probably not linear. The same physics apply to model hit and miss engines. My model is a 1" bore with an approximately 5" diameter flywheel. Let's just for the heck of it, translate that to a 3" bore. That would correspond to a 15" diameter flywheel. I don't have a full size 3" bore, single flywheel hit and miss engine here to measure, but I'm pretty darn certain that the flywheel on such a model would probably be at least 24 to 30" diameter. Not everything is scaleable. I did get the engine to slow down some by retarding the ignition a bit, but not a lot slower.---Sure has been fun though!!!

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2015, 10:23:26 PM »
The missing factor is whatever is added as the load - be it washing machine or sawmill or something else. Perhaps that would behave like friction in the engine.  :thinking:
Whatever it is, the engine is still a honey!

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2015, 03:36:57 AM »
It is a beauty Brian, well done!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2015, 08:11:04 PM »
If anyone decides they would like to have a go at building this engine, then send a request to the email address in my web page (not the forum email) and I will send you a free set of my working drawings which are in Imperial (inch) dimensions.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal