Author Topic: Buzz Saw  (Read 24371 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Buzz Saw
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:35 PM »
Very nice demonstration  :praise2:  :praise2: You can really hear the engine picking up the load  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: To save me (and possibly others) searching what's the bore and stroke of your hit and miss?
That engine has a 1" bore and a 1 3/8" stroke.--Brian

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 03:40:29 AM »
Brian,
That buzz saw sure works good, Nice build.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
Very nice Brian, and a great video too

Steve

Offline ChipMaker

• Warren, MI USA
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
Brian; I have been thinking about a buzz saw too, something that my new finished Elmer's #5 geared engine (steam/compressed) air might power for a show.  I would like to have a "operator" in front of it, moving a log like it is being cut.  Below the saw setup, there would be some logs already cut.  And as for a saw blade, there are all kinds of small slot cutting blades for cheap, that could be used.  As a mater of fact, I recently tore apart a HP printer that had a plastic disk about 2" in diameter that looks exactly like a saw blade!  I think it was used to increment the printer cartridges or something.  Hobby shops that are in the model train hobby, generally have a selections of building materials, usually in plastic in many forms and shapes that are used for layout building that could be used in this project.  Let's keep this thread going and see what we can come up with.  BTW, I have used the real buzz saw on the back of a tractor; you have to keep your wits about you when doing so!  Karl, CM

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Chipmaker--See post #53. This issue has already been finished and put to bed. What is there about the thread that you would like to keep going? The design is finished and there is a download link to the updated drawings. There is a source and a part number for the saw blade on post #42. A 2" diameter blade will not work on my model because it is too small in diameter to saw thru a 1" log.----Brian
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:49:28 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline ChipMaker

• Warren, MI USA
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2015, 02:05:47 AM »
Hi Brian;

I love your two color sketches of a buzz saw.  I want to make a model of one too, mine will be smaller than yours and I think that I will drive it with my Elmers #14 Wobble Plate steam (air) engine.  Harbor Freight has a assortment of small circular saw blades like for a small Dremel hand grinder that I thought I might use for mine.  I would make my buzz saw stand/frame our of very thin steel like from a tin can along with a operator made from the same material.  I would then paint it all up to look like a old time toy that would be driven by a small model (toy) steam engine. 

My son has a buzz saw that was made by his grandfather that is fitted to a Farmall Cub tractor.  We have used this buzz saw years ago, and when we do, we be sure to keep our "wits" about us!

My buzz saw is all in my head at the moment, but I will be cutting tin for it soon!  Happy building, Karl

Offline Jimsmodels

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2015, 01:24:06 AM »
Brian
I build a model buzz saw rig 25 years ago, but after building it, it  looked like a good way to get hurt, so I never used it . I had a guy walk up at a show, while I had it on static display, and said is that blade sharp?. He poked it with a finger and drew blood. After that I left it home. I never took any pictures
but still have it somewhere. It looks like the ones in your picture.
I build a drag saw in 15 years ago, and I run that at shows once in a while. the people get a kick out of it. I cut off small pieces and give them away. Here's a picture of it.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:23 AM »
Jim--judging by the responses I got to my "buzz saw" thread, I think most people thought I might be a bit crazy to build something so dangerous. and it they aren't wrong!!! It was rather terrifying to make the video of it cutting "logs' Both it and the woodsplitter worked great, but both had the ability to remove a finger in very short order. I have never ran then since making the video's. I would never run them at a show, or for that matter with anyone at all near me. I've made it thru 69 years with all my digits intact, and hope to keep it that way.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:42 AM »
I just caught up on this one. Wow, a "digital amputator"! Nice project, Brian.

Seeing the saw powered by a 5 watt Stirling engine makes me think of the USB powered chainsaw. That would be just 2.5 watts maximum (5V 500mA). Since a miniature chain saw seems very difficult, perhaps I may make a buzz saw, but for matchsticks and maybe tongue depressors.

http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/usb-powered-chainsaw
http://www.coolthings.com/the-isaw-%e2%80%93-a-usb-chainsaw/

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjFlbNIo4QU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjFlbNIo4QU</a>

Here are some cool miniature tools including a pedal-powered "buzz saw":
http://www.shakerworkswest.com/OldePedalTools.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal