Author Topic: Look what followed me home from work  (Read 5609 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Look what followed me home from work
« on: May 08, 2015, 05:57:19 PM »
I figured this fit under kit :). I have a co-worker who works for an auction outfit & cleans out houses. He came into work the other day saying I have an engine, I said bring it in, so he did & I promptly bought it from him. Turns out to be a Wilesco D8, the box looks like it sat in a basement (it did) but everything else looks good.

I've yet to find the manual seems everything but the D8, my wife said it was cute!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
Re: Look what followed me home from work
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:07:31 PM »
That's neat, Art! And in great condition. Can't wait to see you fire it up.

--Tim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »
Nice find Art. It sure looks to be in mint condition too!!

Bill

Offline vascon2196

• "a good craftsman never blames his tools"
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »
Great find...it found a good home!
Chris from Southeastern Massachusetts

"a good craftsman never blames his tools"

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 02:28:49 AM »
I have to admit that for $45 I couldn't resist. I have to find the right manual and the fuel pellets. My co-worker wants to see a video of it running as well. Now I must admit I know very little about steam cept it can be very dangerous. I know the one bit on the top is the whistle but are both the other bits pressure relief valves, and if so why two?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 02:38:20 AM »
Art, one of the pressure relief valves is probably set slightly lower than the other. Kind of like a redundant fail safe. Remember these were often kids toys...I had one growing up myself. Even back then, safety was a strong consideration, given the inherent risks of steam boilers.

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 03:35:41 AM »
Bill,
That is good to know. The box is stamped in red "not recommended for children under 8 years old". Safety redundancy is a good thing. Is there any chance of them going bad sitting around in someones basement? or are they indestructible. I have to figure out where to get the fuel pellets next before I fill it with water.
Art

Offline AOG

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 04:27:54 AM »
Art, the engine runs on Esbit tablets. I get mine from www. ministeam.com but you can also get them from Amazon

Tony

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 06:33:58 AM »
The instructions for the slightly smaller D6 can be found here:

http://wilesco.de/wilesco/fileadmin/templates/beschreibungen/D6.pdf

I have not seen the twin safety valves on any European versions of the Wilesco products. Maybe it was a modification for the US market?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »
I'v see a suggestion on a toy steam site that maybe a pressure gauge could be fitted, hense the extra threaded bush.  The hole was filled with an extra SV as they didn't have a suitable plug.  Also noted the boilers are tested to 5 bar, and the normal working pressure is 1.5 bar.
Ian S C

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Nice find Art for the price. I have a Jenson version with generator but works on 120VAC. You can find the tablets here: http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Smokeless-Fuel-Backpacking-Camping/dp/B005NGMJLY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1431180293&sr=8-8&keywords=esbit+alcohol+burner

Don

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 06:42:12 PM »
I ordered the fuel tablets, have an Amazon account they're due 14-18th. Don thanks for the link. Can you guys stand the wait? Seems like I should have something for the pulley to drive though.
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 03:52:30 PM »
Hi all,
I did fire up the Wilesco D8. I think I have a thing or two to learn about running an engine on steam. :ROFL: It did run finally when I squirted WD40 in the back side of the cylinder, that's what you see in this video.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT7gPOuskOU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT7gPOuskOU</a>
Next time I try it I think I'll use more fuel. I did find directions & just need to sort through to find the English that's mixed in.
Art

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »
Looks like you did get it sorted out Art. The one I had as a kid had an oil cup in the steam line that you filled prior to running. Probably did much the same as your squirt of WD-40.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal