Author Topic: Elderberry Mill Engine/ Elmer's 43 by AOG  (Read 19030 times)

Offline AOG

Re: Elderberry Mill Engine/ Elmer's 43 by AOG
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »
Thanks Marv but I'm pretty sure I know what the issue is. When I first oil it up it will run for a little while and then stop and blow air. The thing leaks like a sieve and that's after redoing multiple parts and putting in gaskets. At this point I can't pull off the accuracy required to make this engine. I pretty much have to rebuild the majority of the parts. I some point I may make another one but I'm cutting my losses with this one.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »
It's been a month and I have finished my Elmer's standby (I'll post on that later this weekend). It's now time to get this puppy running. When we left off, the thing was leaking like sieve and blowing air out of the exhaust constantly. I just couldn't get it to run. The first thing to address is the constant exhaust. I always expect to have a little bit but nothing like i was seeing. As far as I was concerned I had valve problems and or a poorly sized piston. While I was working on my other project I ordered a set of small hole gauges. I pulled the engine apart and measured the bore and the piston. I found 2 things. The bore was tapered and the piston was .008 undersized from the narrow side. I also pulled the valve chest apart and discovered something interesting. It seams that the Elderberry guys changed the valve dimensions from what Elmer had used. I missed it the first time around and I made the valve to one set of dimensions and the valve plate to the other. So the task this weekend is to fix the cylinder and make a new piston to fit. Then I will make a new Elmer's dimensioned valve plate to go with the Elmer's valve I made earlier. Then I'll put it all back together and see if it runs.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track Tony. Glad you didn't give up on it. The small hole gages will come in handy for many things, nice addition to your tooling.

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
Thanks Bill. I'm one of those people with a relatively low frustration limit. When I hit that limit I loose interest and I have to walk away for awhile. This hobby has seen me bounce off of that wall many times. I always need a break but I always come back to it later. I'm too stubborn to let it beat me permanently.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
You aren't by yourself in that regard Tony. Looking forward to seeing the Standby too.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
Hi Todd glad to see you haven't given up. Sometimes we just have to chill a bit, been there myself.

Don

Offline vascon2196

• "a good craftsman never blames his tools"
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »
I almost took a sledgehammer to my Ford Engine. I'm pretty sure I chucked the piston into the woods like an Olympian. It took a lot of folks to talk me out of smashing the engine to pieces. Like you I walked away and came back (weeks later) and got the engine running. I had some dumb wire in the wrong place or something stupid like that. It is nice to hear I'm not the only one with a short fuse who chose this hobby!
Chris from Southeastern Massachusetts

"a good craftsman never blames his tools"

Offline AOG

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »

Offline tpwilcox

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 12:49:40 AM »
Congrats! I just made the same engine. Fiddly little bast***. Glad you got it running.

Cheers,

Tom

p.s. What was the problem?

Offline pinkusrl

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »
Where can I get the plans on line please.  Thanks. Bob

Offline AOG

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
You can get Elmer's plans here:

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html