Author Topic: Fuel injection systems  (Read 96577 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Fuel injection systems
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
I received some (expensive) reinforced shank 0.2 mm drills. The first attempt at a holder was made in brass as before, but it broke at the end of the 1mm hole. The 0.2mm wall thickness was not enough  :(  I then tried again with silver steel. I wasn't sure about drilling a 1mm hole 15mm deep but it was ok. I had made a trial nozzle to check the diameter and for polishing I supported the bore with a reversed 1mm drill in the tailstock drill chuck. OK so far  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2018, 06:49:32 PM »
Having made the drill I then tried to make the nozzle. The blank was 27.3mm long so it was drilled 1.3mm dia 26mm deep, reamed 1.45mm 25 mm deep and then finished with the D bit to 26.8mm. I then pecked with the 0.2mm drill until the resistance went and luckily the point was still there  :)

I had bought some stronger springs for the injector but they had a smaller bore so I had to turn down the adjuster and the needle cap. I normally use ER collets but the thin needle cap was a good use for the Hobbymat spring collets.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2018, 09:19:20 PM »
Looks very good Roger  :ThumbsUp:

I really hope this one works to your satisfaction  :cheers:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
Thank you Per  :ThumbsUp: The stronger spring certainly made a difference (video is in the diesel thread) but I need to lap the bore on the 0.2mm nozzle before I can try it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:11:42 AM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2018, 08:10:07 AM »
When I tried the 0.2mm nozzle in the engine I had problems with fuel leaking from the injector union which I couldn't solve at the time. This area was not really designed, just made up as I went along so I decided to revisit it.

The original injection piping was 1mm bore 2mm od copper pipe sleeved into a commercial 3mm union at the delivery valve end with a home made nipple and nut at the injector end. The connection into the injector nozzle was via a cone made with a 0.8mm tip 3.15mm od centre drill.

Since this time I found some 2mm unions from Regner with the same M5 x 0.5 threads. They appear compatible with the original ones from Holzapfel Dampfmaschinen but I need to check the cone angles.

Looking at the original pipework the nipple at the delivery valve end seems quite distorted and the nipple at the injector end has a noticeable ring. I think that the Regner type nipple will be better at the delivery valve end. The problem at the nozzle end is that the nipple is 4mm diameter and the centre drill used was 3.15mm diameter so if the cone is drilled too deep it won't seal. I check the dimensions around that part of the nozzle and I can use a 4mm diameter 1.6mm tip centre drill which should resolve the problem. I will need to make a 4mm bore guide nut for the drilling operation. Previously I used the actual union nut. Some means of depth control will also be required.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:18:25 AM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »
Hello Roger,

Is there anything to be gained by hard soldering (use silver solder) a short length of pipe to the injector body and having a standard (bought in) union joint a little way away from the injector. That way you may be able to divorce the injector design from the union problems.

Just a thought

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »
Hi Mike, the problem joint is between the injector body and the nozzle. This is why I have tried to make a cone fitting at that point. If I move the fuel connection to the body I would probably have to lap the nozzle into the body to gain an adequate seal. O rings are too elastic for the high pressures and small volumes. A variation on your thought is to combine the nozzle and the lower half of the body and then screw the spring assembly on top. This would allow me to silver solder the fuel connection to the nozzle and move the union away. I may move to this when I have the design more fixed but currently a new nozzle is a short length of 8mm brass rod and an evenings work.

I have attached a PDF of the current state of the injector design.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:27:27 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2018, 07:58:53 PM »
I moved on with this making a new union nut and a guide bush for the larger centre drill. The Proxxon drill makes it quite easy to set the depth using a drill of the appropriate diameter. I also used a drill shank to check the depth of the union nut.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »
I shortened a Regner nut to match the delivery valve and then silver soldered both ends on the pipe using my small Portosol torch rather than the big blowlamp.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2018, 08:41:43 PM »
Looks nice - have you pressure tested them after soldering ?

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2018, 08:29:11 PM »
Thank you Per  :ThumbsUp:  I can only test them by assembling the system, maybe I need to build a test fixture using something other than diesel oil.
Best regards

Roger

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2018, 08:52:22 PM »
Keep a close eye on the pipework, every injection pulse creates a shockwave which can fatigue the pipe joints.

I even had it happen with one of our companies cars. I was miles from home when one of the injection pipes fractured and the engine went on to three cylinders. I did not wish to be stranded, so limped slowly back to base. The engine sounded really rough and stank of the diesel oil which was being squirted all over the engine. Arrived back at base leaving an oil slick under the car.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:19:26 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2018, 12:38:48 PM »
Thank you Mike  :ThumbsUp: The diesel certainly puts shock waves everywhere  ::)

As I said on the engine thread the 0.2 mm nozzle seemed to wear very quickly so the fuel just leaked back along the needle guide. I am guessing the surface finish was not good and the peaks wore away very quickly  :headscratch:

On with some more nozzles. The first one was made much as before and I found that the 1.47 mm pin gauge would enter quite easily but the 1.48 mm gauge wouldn't go. That would work but didn't leave much for lapping. A 1.45 mm H7 reamer should have a maximum size of 1.46 mm but maybe brass reacts differently  ::)
For the second attempt I used the floating reamer holder for the D  bit as well. In this case the 1.47 mm pin gauge was tight and would not go all the way in. A little better  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #208 on: December 16, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »
I cut the union seatings with a center drill as before and then lapped the bores to just over 1.48mm to fit the needle. After a quick ultrasonic bath I built up the injector with one of the nozzles and gave it a try. I got atomisation and a rather strange exclamation mark pattern  :headscratch:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYKJX24Et1U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYKJX24Et1U</a>

As it's below zero with snow outside it may be some time before there is a real test with diesel oil.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #209 on: December 16, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Looks very fine to me Roger and I expect that the pattern is a result of the shaking of the injector (though the camera seems to shake too, so not completely sure)  :ThumbsUp:

Shame about the waiting time due to climate conditions, but we will have to endure the wait  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal