Author Topic: Fuel injection systems  (Read 38792 times)

Offline Roger B

Re: Fuel injection systems
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
Thank you both  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
I am still surprised how well the petrol injection system works, I think the horizontal engine runs better than with the carbs.  :headscratch: I am tempted to make a 360░ crankshaft and camshaft for my twin cylinder engine so I can try it with fuel injection using a single pump driven from the crankshaft. This would also work for Dave (Steamer's) Wallaby. 
If anyone else wants to try and build a system I am more than happy to support/help them  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:27 PM »
As I said previously the Facet fuel pump I am using is not happy pumping into a closed system as it is really designed to work with a float chamber. All the mechanical petrol injection systems I am aware of circulate the fuel via a pressure relief valve. I bought a smaller gear type fuel pump designed for transferring fuel into the tanks of models. It is not continuously rated at full output but I am expecting I can significantly reduce the supply voltage so overheating shouldn't be a problem.
I then needed to make a pressure relief valve to operate somewhere between 0.7 and 1 bar. After playing with a few designs I decided to base it on the delivery valve of the fuel injection pump using a weaker spring. This puts the tank return at the top which will also help with bleeding the air out of the system. The body if 8mm square brass tapped M5x0.5 on the side and at the top to take the fuel inlet union and the valve cage/return union. The connection to the injection pump is via a long nipple soldered into the body.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
Still hoping that you solve all the problems with this project, but it is a bumpy road you travel here  :cheers: