Author Topic: A digital governor for model engines  (Read 3771 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: A digital governor for model engines
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »
Hi Jason ,  I only have this photo unfortunately and it has been made with castings. This is the uncropped photo however...To give a better idea of size ?

Willy

Offline gary.a.ayres

• British Isles & sometimes France
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2020, 10:27:49 PM »

My posts will be a bit further apart now as the governor seems to be complete and working.  I will do some of the little tidy up jobs I have mentioned, as fill in jobs over the coming winter evenings.  But they wonít be very exciting to describe.  If something fundamental changes, I will certainly describe it, otherwise just a final report when they are done. 

Now that the best weather of our year is over, we will be allowed overnight trips from next week, so have some catching up to do.

MJM460

Congratulations, MJM, on your success with the governor! It didn't take you long.

A video of it in operation would be good when the time is right for you...

But meanwhile, please enjoy your overnight trips and catching up.

:cheers:

gary

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »
Thank Gary.  When I first decided to try the project, I hoped that it would not take long.  But I did wonder if it could really be done by such a simple system.  So I started, but delayed actually posting until I really had the end in sight. 

It was just as well, as some of the delays along the way would have led people to lose interest before the project ended. It was about 15 months in all if I remember correctly.

Sure enough as you will have seen, there were problems with the one chip solution, but the very helpful Picaxe support forum guided me through to a successful conclusion.  The next generation will have the two chips on the same board to eliminate some of those ugly flying leads.

It is very pleasing to see it work, but a video will be a whole new challenge.  I should be able to do the video, but I guess I will have to try.  The video software I previously used stopped working, as they did not update to windows 10, and my attempt at buying new only proved the inadequacies of my computer.  So I will have to try the Apple version.  There seems to be two options on the iPad, but will have to check how I go on an Apple computer, as that might be easier.  Any suggestions as to what is easiest for editing a few clips together?

Then I will at last have to learn how to post it.  I will try, but donít hold your breath.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline gary.a.ayres

• British Isles & sometimes France
« Reply #138 on: Today at 12:51:32 AM »
Ah - ok.

No doubt it makes for a much more interesting thread than the likes of mine, which details every misconception and rookie error. Well, most of them, anyway...  ;)

I would imagine your Apple computer would be the way to go for video editing, a laptop or a desktop system probably being easier than an iPad. I'm not a good source on such matters, though - I use Linux (Ubuntu) and the free video editor 'Pitivi' on my laptop.

As for posting videos - well I'm not sure but I suspect some form of external hosting is required' just as it is for photos. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I just put mine on youtube and then embed them using the youtube button in this editor. Of course, if you don't have a youtube channel you may not want one... and you can switch your video settings to private in youtube but then I *guess* they would then become invisible in the forum here too. Sorry - not making assumptions about what you would want to do - just exploring the matter within my own rather narrow limits.

Meanwhile, no held breath here (i.e. no pressure from me) for a video. Enjoy your catching up!

gary

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #139 on: Today at 01:58:05 AM »
On youtube there is a setting between private and public, something like unlisted, that lets only those with the link see it. So, it would show uere on the forum but not to anyone just browsing.