Author Topic: Sins of my youth are catching up with me!  (Read 17594 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Sins of my youth are catching up with me!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 01:06:46 AM »
Very sorry to hear that as well Chuck.    If there is anything I can do, please allow me to do so!

Your Friend,

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 01:14:34 AM »
Chuck, a positive attitude is a great drug in itself. Great to hear that it's confined to one area. My thoughts and prayers to you

Dave 

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 01:44:09 AM »
Chuck,
Must wanted to let you know I am thinking and praying for you, much like everyone here.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 02:09:39 AM »
Dear Mr. Fellows-

So very sorry to read your latest posting.  My heartfelt prayers for your speedy recovery.

Frank
90% of everything is BS!

Offline rythmnbls

• Weatherly, PA, US via Sydney NSW
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 03:17:39 AM »
Chuck,

I'm a lung cancer survivor, a tumor was found in my right lung on November 2013. As luck would have it, it was found by accident and early, it 'only' cost me 2/3rds of my lung and rib to get it removed.

This disease can be beat, every day they learn more and more about cancers and their treatments. 70% is a pretty good number, they gave me 75% when I was diagnosed.

Keep a good attitude, and don't let your imagination get the better of you, I think my imagination was my worst enemy closely followed by endless appointments and waiting for test results. It can really drive up your stress levels if you let it.

Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Steve.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 03:18:14 AM »
Chuck
Hoping that you beat this. My thoughts are with you.
We're all here if you need anything.
Best,
Stan

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 03:44:54 AM »
Sorry indeed to hear this news, Chuck.  Hang tough, you can beat this, we need you here.

Joe

Offline ironman123

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 04:05:16 AM »
Having stage 4 cancer is not very pleasing to hear but being confined and starting chemo, you have pretty good percentages.  With your strong drive, all of us and your family and friends pulling for you, you just got to get it into remission and kedp it there.  Keep the X axis straight in positive direction, don't waver in the y+ or y- and remember who is on the high z axis.  Chemo won't be easy but you can handle it Chuck.  We are hoping for the best for you.  Keep us all posted on your progress.
Ray
Central Texas

Offline gary hart

• Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 06:08:23 AM »
 Dang!  Sorry to hear, Chuck.   Understand the shock.  First of year was diagnosed with AML and not quite as good as odds as yours.    First chemo was rough but other rounds got better and the treatment seems   is getting better.    Know you have a positive attitude.   It helped me hearing other people who had the same problem and being able to make it.
Pulling for you.
Gary

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 06:12:24 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the kind wishes.  When I went in for my appointment this morning, I was prepared to hear that it had spread to my brain and all my organs.  It was a great relief to find out that wasn't the case.  I feel confident that I will respond to the chemo, and, if not, the Doc has told me he has a plan B and a plan C, one of which is probably surgery.

The sins of my younger days include smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for 30 years.  Even though I quit completely and cold turkey 20 years ago, the Oncologist said that the DNA damage done by smoking is permanent and can lead to cancer 20 or 30 years later.  And, of course, I inhaled more pounds of sawdust than I'd care to think about, including decking lumber which used to be saturated in arsenic.  You can also add any number of solvents and pesticides to the list of things since I never thought to wear a mask.  Guess I'm lucky I didn't come down with this earlier.  My lungs have done a pretty good job of holding up for 71 years.

As I said, I'm feeling pretty normal, physically.  No pain although fatigue and nausea may be brought on by the chemo.  I plan to stay active in the shop and I'm spending a fair amount of time playing with 3D modeling software.  Who knows, maybe I'll get motivated to start documenting some of my builds.

Thanks again for the outpouring of thoughtfulness.  It surely is nice to have you guys (and gal) as friends.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Online sco

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 08:18:54 AM »
Chuck,

I'm sorry to hear this but my thoughts are with you,

Best wishes,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 08:31:08 AM »
Chuck.

I'm so sorry to hear this news.

Though, I cannot add to what has already been said. My sincerest hopes and wishes are directed to you.

Keep on, keeping on.........

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
My thoughts are with you too, as are my best wishes for a successful treatment. Hugh.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »
I was bloody sure I posted in this thread to give a small amount of moral support to Chuck.

Like a lot of things lately another senior moment.  :wallbang:

Anyway Chuck..........hang in there mate and beat it; like you have all the other things life has thrown at you.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

fcheslop

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 11:06:06 AM »
Hi Chuck
                Im very sorry to hear youre news. Hang in and I hope the treatment goes well for you.
Best wishes
Frazer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal