Author Topic: Sins of my youth are catching up with me!  (Read 17630 times)

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
Re: Sins of my youth are catching up with me!
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2015, 01:34:25 AM »
Oh no! I am very sorry to hear that Chuck and I can sympasise with you. I came home from Cabin Fever last year with a persistent cough which turned out to be a large tumour on my right lung. It seemed to be confined to the upper lobe and the surgeon estimated that I would have a 50% chance of surviving. So I had the surgery. They ruled out chemo because of a heart condition but I had radiation.

In mid-November, I was clear of the cancer.

By the end of January, I had multiple metastases on both lungs and the radiation oncologist gave me 3 months if I didn't have chemo. So, like you, I am having chemo. Now I just need to know what, if any, effect the chemo is having.

But more importantly for me is to take this opportunity to say thank you for your posts which have inspired me to meddle with your various versions of carbies. They set me thinking and I am still thinking about them. And, of course, your engines which are always interesting.

Whatever the future holds for you, I hope it is not too uncomfortable.

Jim

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2015, 01:42:36 AM »
I'll just post a positive note, and 70% is pretty good odds, so with good attitude (or maybe just by being an ornery cuss) you'll win this battle and stay on the green side of the grass for a long time to come. I'm home after having 4 level cervical spine surgery April 16 and I'm feeling a bit better, but am now looking forward to similar lumbar spine surgery once this has healed sufficiently. I have lost some strength in my right arm and some numbness in my fingers, so my major league pitching career is not likely, but I'm fortunate this was discovered and dealt with before more damage was done. The guidelines for recovery from such surgery stress a positive outlook and continued activity, so I hope you can manage that and focus on the bright side of things.  :old: 8) :)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »
Thanks, again, to all you great folks for the support and well wishes.  And, Jim, I know what you are going through, it's a real emotional ride.  But, so far, the chemo is tolerable and I'm hoping for normal activity on the good days.  Hope to get back to posting some builds pretty soon.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline PJW

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2015, 08:45:01 PM »

Hi Chuck, best wishes for a swift recovery, I to am an ex smoker, packed up 26 years ago, looks like the threat is still there, good luck with the treatment,

Peter
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2015, 10:50:51 PM »
Chuck - I have not been around on here for some time but due to a phone call from a friend today I had your post brought to my attention.

I can only reiterate what so many others have said and wish you a successful and speedy response to treatment in the weeks ahead. We went through the anxiety of 'waiting' about three years ago so can empathise with you there but fortunately mine proved benign which was obviously a huge relief for both of us.

There's little more to be said but we both sincerely hope that all who are affected by this condition have as easy a time as possible through the coming weeks.

Best regards - Ramon (and Sue)

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 04:58:37 AM »
Thanks again, for the outpouring of well-wishes.  Sure makes a fella feel good to know that so many like minded people are pulling for me!

I had my second round of chemo today.  Like the last one, it was pretty uneventful.  Laid around for 5 hours or so, alternately sleeping and chatting up the pretty nurses and assistants.  No discomfort from the treatment at all.  My first treatment was a week ago today.  The steroids kept me feeling normal (actually better than normal) for a couple of days.  On Thursday I was tired and spent a lot of time dozing in my recliner.  On Friday, I just felt like crap, kind of like FLU symptoms, but no nausea.  Then, I woke up Saturday morning feeling pretty chipper and have been that way since.  If I don't ever feel any worse than I did on the 2 days, I can sail through this with no problem.  Of course, the next hurdle is trying to land in the 70% category.  Won't know that for a couple of months yet.  And, while I am keeping a positive attitude and being optimistic, I'm trying to temper the optimism a bit with a measure of reality.  No sense in getting too cocky at this point.

I've started thinking about another engine design.  I want to stimulate a large, Fairbanks 4-cylinder, 2 stroke industrial engine from the turn of the century.  It will be modeled after a 2-stroke diesel but will be powered by compressed air and my slave ball valve design.  I want it to be big, maybe 3/4" bore to achieve a realistic running speed and sound without it sounding like a chainsaw!  So, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone!    :cheers:

Offline PJW

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
Thanks for the update Chuck, keep them cumming

get well soon so you can keep passing on your tips!
Peter
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Offline Heffalump

• Oxfordshire, England
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2015, 02:57:59 PM »
Hiya Chuck - sorry I'm a bit late on but like Ramon I've been away for a while. I was horrified to hear your news, but, given the doc's thoughts and your personal attitude towards it, and how well you seem to be doing with the treatment so far I'm glad that you aren't feeling completely consumed. As others have said, we're all here if you need anything, even if it is just an afternoon of talking bull, or engines, or both (are they the same thing?). I'm looking forward to this new idea of yours coming to fruition. All the best

Jim

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:55 PM »
Chuck--I have always admired your ability as a very creative machinist and as a very nice man. I hope you find a way through this time of trouble, and know that my thoughts and best wishes are with you.---Brian

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2015, 01:47:48 AM »
Chuck:

Just returned from a trip to N Arizona and S Utah to find your post. My thoughts are with you and trust you'll work through this. I suspect you're feeling poorly a week into treatment, but hope you are able to manage some shop time. I do hope so as I'd miss your posts otherwise.

All the best.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »
Hi Chuck,
I am sorry to hear this news but am happy to hear the chemo treatments are tolerable for now.  I hope you can get this in remission and start putting in some shop time. 

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
glad to here you are coping well with the chemo, and as others have said, I hope and pray this goes into remission so that we can continue to be entertained and educated by your posts.

good luck and all the best

peter

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bad news Chuck - really hope the treatment works as well as it can. Wish you the best of luck. Nick

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »
My thoughts are with you, keep up the good work.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
Just wanted to post an update.  A PET scan this week revealed that I'm responding well to chemotherapy and the cancer is receding.  I will continue the same regimen for another 2 months followed by another scan to check progress.

Thanks to everyone for your support, concern and words of encouragement.

Chuck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal