Author Topic: 19th Century Field Gun  (Read 7916 times)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
Re: 19th Century Field Gun
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »
It is a lovely model.  I particularly like the mix of metal and wood (even if it is painted).

I'm intrigued by the wheels which do not seem to be of the conventional pattern with everything being held together by a shrunk-on metal hoop tyre.  Are the fellows bolted together?  Perhaps for easier field repair?

Thanks for sharing,

Rod

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »
Beautiful model.

I would be interested in knowing how the details were done to the cannon. I don't the names...the 'emblem' near the rear? And there's another bit behind that.

Thanks for showing.

The link from Tom was also interesting. Thanks for that.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
wagnmaker, yes , wouldn't be too hard, I think there is something about wheel making in "Model Engineer",  ships cannon are much easier.  The only thing I can see that would be a bit difficult to reproduce are the(on mine)two crests, one at the muzzle end, just behind the first reinforce(ridge around barrel), Second between the third and forth reinforce, simple if you have a casting.
Ian S C

Offline mikemill

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 03:01:40 PM »
Details of the field gun as requested

Paint is gray primer matt spray can

Wheels are turned hubs or naves indexed holes drilled for spoke dowels, the felloes are six pieces of flat section glued  to form a circle then turned to size and are also index drilled, dowels are toothpicks all glued together with force fit steel tyre.
The barrel is turned from solid brass bar, the coat-of-arms are an etching. Half way through the build I found the Hobbies web site have a set of brass etchings for this size if gun (most annoying) having cut most of the metal parts, so I bought the coat-of-arms.

As I said in my opening post it’s nice to work with different materials on one model, which others members seem to like the idea as well

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal