Author Topic: Boxer Engine from Gary  (Read 4764 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Boxer Engine from Gary
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
Good morning all,

Gary (galland) asked if I would post a few pictures of his boxer engine as he was having some difficulty posting pictures. Gary will follow up this post however, with his own explanation of his design and the particulars about the engine. You may recall that Chuck Fellows had posted some Gary's work previously and I am happy to say that Gary has now joined the forum and with work like this I hope he will become a frequent contributor. Welcome Gary...the thread is yours now :)

Bill

Offline galland

Re: Boxer Engine from Gary
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »
Thank you Bill for your help. This engine actually started out to be just for looks with no internal parts. The reason being none of my engines probably have 10 minutes run time on them and end up in one of our curio cabinets only to have lady friends of my wife say    What in the world is that,   to which she says its one of those things that Gary makes.
Well after chopping out the block and contemplating the rest of it I decided it just wouldn't be right to not finish it. I thought about Chucks design with the ball and spring in the head and decided I would give that a try. I have always been a  VW  fan so I decided to give it a different twist. With the cam being down low the upper intake pipes are just dummies. Mine receives air from the cam through the push rod tubes. The inner 4 are live for the 4 cylinders and the outer 4 are just dummies again. I still need to order ball bearings and get springs for it. As like on my radial I will put plugs and wires on it and maybe add a gas tank to the rear on a mount. I do have several photos of it with one head and cylinders missing showing some of the inside.
Thanks again Bill and Chuck for the help with photos !     Gary K.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »
Nice work Gary.  I enjoy looking at your excellent work :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
Hi Gary, good to see this engine shape again. In my youth I had minimum 3 of these in rotation. One in the car, ready to start the next full throttle tour from Cologne to Hannover in Germany, mostly it failed. A second one ready  to change for the car and a third one at the bench for rebuild. After using an oil thermometer direct in front of my nose, I could more related decide, another rebuild or may be back to half throttle. This "Volkswagen Beetle" time was really great, I never will forget it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:26:14 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Nerdz

• CT, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:30:04 AM »
I love boxer engines. Suby has them, and Ive had the [dis]pleasure of seeing the inner workings of one when I did head gaskets. Such a beautiful engine.
-Chris

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
Welcome Gary and your engines are a delight to see, beautiful work.

Don

Offline galland

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
After getting various instructions from Bill Lindsey on how to add photos I am going to attempt to send some showing this engine with one head and cylinders removed. Originally I asked Bill if he could add this post to the one Chuck Fellows started showing 3 other air engines of mine. He ended up posting it in your own design. I do want to say the entire idea did come from Chucks neat boxer with his unique head design with ball and spring. Mine is just larger  (.687 bore ) and basically is the same design with the cam in the bottom.

Gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »
Well you have added your own touches to it Gary which is why I put this as a separate thread, no intent to take anything away from Chuck of course. And I see you have now mastered adding photos :)...so we will be looking for more now too.

Bill

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
Very good looking! ;)

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 06:21:52 PM »
It seems you've got the picture posting thing nailed down and the engine looks great!

--Tim

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
That's a pretty engine, Gary, very nice work.  The attention to detail adds so much to the looks of an engine.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 02:50:06 PM »
Gary, I love boxers, Continental mainly, and Lycoming from when I worked in an aero engine over haul shop.
Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal