Author Topic: The what do you do with it and why did you make questions.  (Read 14318 times)

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
Re: The what do you do with it and why did you make questions.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »
Come on, hands up, be honest - who immediately googled 'Humphrey pump' and thought ...that looks interesting... I wonder if i could.... :Lol:
I must admit , I do agree with the author, I find the steam engine a more fascinating engine to watch than an internal combustion engine,
although I'm sure the ICE requires more skill in machining .

peter

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
Maybe you are showing your engines to the wrong people? I have great acceptance showing my meager ones to grown up real machinists (guys who do it for a living), and say "Gee, I wish I could make one someday but I'm too busy", high-end auto mechanics, the guy who services the heater, the electrician who wires my motors, the hardware store, the little old guy at Cabin Fever who looked at my engine and asked "do you know where I can buy a 6 jaw chuck for my Levin lathe?", and my friends. They all in varying degrees say "wow!, holy cow, incredible, you made all of that, the cranks and pistons too?"
I don't show them to the cleaning lady or my wife's friends.
I don't give a rats !#$%^ who likes them.
I like them. My wife likes them too, and she knows all about when a piece pulls out of the chuck and goes into the big pail under the lathe, 4 times. She also knows when I make a piece and it comes out smooth, shiny, and exactly the right diameter.
You can show them to each other and we will all be amazed and will tell you how fantastic they are.
Keep making  things cause you like to.
Mosey :whoohoo:

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
the little old guy at Cabin Fever who looked at my engine and asked "do you know where I can buy a 6 jaw chuck for my Levin lathe?"

Did you have a good answer to that question?

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline ibert

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »
My reply to those questions is something like:  it generates questions by the minute, or it keeps YOUR brain exercised http://www.modelenginemaker.com/Smileys/default/mischief.gif
If there is a real question i like to reply with a real answer and probably learn something from that conversation

Offline Mosey

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »

Did you have a good answer to that question?

Dan
[/quote]No, Dan. If I found one, could I afford to buy it?
Mosey

Offline mikemill

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »
I think the ignorance comes from people who have no interests in their lives, I have meet a lot of people in my life both on a personal and professional level and if half a dozen had interests I was impressed.
We are part of the very small group (let’s say North America and Europe) of the population who have interests. Two of my friends are about to retire I say what are you planning to do with your time, all I see is blank faces quite frightening, if you stop using the brain it turns to mush!!
So lets celebrate our interests common or not and let the nare do wells slowly sink into the mire

Mike

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 06:48:46 AM »

We are part of the very small group (let’s say North America and Europe) of the population who have interests.

And some in that other place - wossname - the little island in the South Pacific.

Jim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 07:00:28 AM »
Hey Jim , you guys down under are only a few generations from being Europeans yourselves  ;)

Wasn't it us who took engines and mechanical technology round the world so there is no wonder we share the same passions   8).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mosey

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
Jim,
You were missed at Cabin Fever, and the contributions of the Aussies are neither forgotten nor underestimated around the globe.
Mosey   :praise2:

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »
And some in that other place - wossname - the little island in the South Pacific.

Fiji?

:stir:

PDR
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 04:57:48 PM »

Technically, Australia (and Antarctica) are not islands but rather continents.  Greenland is the largest island but why can't it be called a small continent?  Also, given the amount of water on earth, all the continents are surrounded by water.

This is what happens when you've been retired for nineteen years; you start worrying about stuff like this.  (I even keep a list of unanswered questions on my computer.)  Fortunately, the medications help, especially when dissolved in gin.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »
all the continents are surrounded by water.

say it ain't so....Europe and Asia share a common land border. So did a couple of the other ones until they dug some ditches.

Go figure.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »
Hey Jim , you guys down under are only a few generations from being Europeans yourselves  ;)

Wasn't it us who took engines and mechanical technology round the world so there is no wonder we share the same passions   8).

Jo

internal combustion engines,gas turbines,nuclear fission   and guidable rockets ?     

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »
Surely someone has done or will do hobby designing or making in Antarctica or in space.

I would like to see THAT member on this forum.

(Wishful thinking? It can't be too long)

--ShopShoe

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 04:35:04 AM »
all the continents are surrounded by water.

say it ain't so....Europe and Asia share a common land border. So did a couple of the other ones until they dug some ditches.

Go figure.

Dan
Not so Dan Europe and Asia  are all on one land mass and so are not continents. It would probably start another war if that land mass was called a single name like Eurasia with Africa being south Eurasia as it is connected. Or maybe not..... but it is surrounded by water and therefore a continent. :stickpoke:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal