Author Topic: Where's Waldo?.....er ah Steamer  (Read 2520 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Where's Waldo?.....er ah Steamer
« on: April 25, 2015, 11:36:05 PM »
Hey All,

I'm sorry I've been pretty quiet lately.    I've been VERY busy.

We are in the middle of the "outdoor" racing season, and we have another race tomorrow in Connecticut .    This is our third in as many weeks.

I'm thinking of your guys.   I'm looking forward to taking a couple of weeks off. William has a Science project he needs to complete.

It's going to be a wind tunnel.   Should be fun, I'll post some pics when we get under way.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
Re: Where's Waldo?.....er ah Steamer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:00:47 AM »
Of COURSE its going to be a wind tunnel! Well, it might have been a variable angle ramp with an associated high speed camera to study landing characteristics...

Alan

(When one was built on Mythbusters they used a lot of soda straws to straighten out the flow, rather than have it raw from the blower.)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:06:33 AM »
Yeah We're definitely thinking drinking straws....He wants to optimize an air foil for a model glider.    I've doped out a digital scale to measure drag and lift....not that hard....I suspect the truck will be in there at some point in time!.... :lolb:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:46 AM »
Hey Dave glad to hear from you brother. I was just going to send your PM believe it or not. Glad to hear things a OK with you and Will. So we're are off on another project with the wind tunnel. Keep us posted as you progress. We miss you man!

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 12:52:21 AM »
We all get busy (don't I know) and struggle to find shop time for ourselves; I fully understand.

Good to hear form you!

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 01:54:33 AM »
Sounds like a great project Dave, and as long as its still fun and a learning experience, the all the better!!

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 03:10:07 AM »
Dave
I was inside this one. The largest in the world. Fortunately, it was not running.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/orgs/aeronautics/windtunnels/index.html
Best,
Stan

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »
Wind tunnels are fun, we used to use them to design the aerodynamics for our torpedoes  ;) we also worked with the water tunnel at Glasgow to investigate cavitation. But the prize winner of facilities was the rotating beam at Teddington (photo attached).

We would dangle our model torpedoes off the end of it and then phone up the electricity board to warn them we were about to run up the 1500HP electric motor  :mischief: that drove the beam through a series of gears. For some reason a figure of 30 comes to mind  :noidea: not sure if it was 30m long or rotated at 30 rpm I know that it provided the 100+ knots we were using. You should have seen the wake throwing water up the walls :LittleDevil:

The instrumentation used to capture all the data for us but just under the level of the water there was a viewing screen where you could see the models whoosh by. And boy did the beam whoosh by, it was more of a low "woom, woom, woom " as it went round.

Those were the days :whoohoo:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal